Damn Electricity Bill

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
From 160 to 220 in the blink of an eye. Doing nothing differently. We used over 400kWh more last billing period than any time before. The last three months have all been 12xx kWh. Now 1700. Is that normal. I understand it's August, and I expected a higher bill, but this is a lot more than I expected being that we didnt change anything drastically.
Anyways just a weak rant.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
For some reason my electricity bill dropped about 20% from July to August, not that I'm complaining.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
So thats why Dug777 is having a tough week!

That seems like a high bill to me. We pay max $150 for electricity and gas in the dead of winter

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I wish I knew how much my electricity bill was, but my supplier insists on sending me someone else's bills.

I'm being billed about 500 kWh per month, but I reckon I use about half that.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Exterous
So thats why Dug777 is having a tough week!

That seems like a high bill to me. We pay max $150 for electricity and gas in the dead of winter

This is the peak of summer. 95-100 degrees everyday here.
We keep it on 70-75. Maybe thats too low but I hate the summer.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
It's been particularly hot where I live this summer, and my bill was also quite higher than normal.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not sure why you expected a higher bill but don't think it should be as high as it was. Why did you expect your bill to be higher?

Phoenix15

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2001
My power bill was $160 three months ago. Two months ago it was $264 and last month it was $250. We had a extremely hot summer here though. My wife is also home during the day now and she has the thermostat set low enough to hang meat in there. I come home and she's sitting on the couch with a afgan over her. :/

rstove02

Apr 19, 2004
Not all meters are read every month. In some cases they are read every couple months and what your billed on is an estimated consumption (usually estimated from current usage and usage during the same time in the previous year). If they over/under estimate your consumption during one estimation period, they subtract/add more to the next estimation period to refund/recoup the difference.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
You guys must have large houses, or your growing some plants in the basement! jk :p

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
My electricty bill for the past year was about $60-70/month...except February, which was $150. I have no idea how that happened, but I went from using ~900-1000/Kwh to ~2000/Kwh for February, then back to ~900-1000/Kwh from March on.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Well it's pretty easy to check that the meter reading was done correctly. Look on the bill and it should have the number that was read off your meter. Then check your meter and see if it's lower. If the read checks out, then it's possible something could be malfunctioning. Is your refrigerator running all the time? Perhaps the well pump if you have one? We had a well pump that was contiuously running because the pipe that pulls the water up from the well was leaking. The pump would work double time to get the water to the house. Our only clue was the high electric bill. Once my pops figured out it was the pump he would just flip off the circuit breaker when weren't using the water until the repair man could get there.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
what was the temperate each day for the two months you are comparing?

here in MO, august was very hot, my bill jumped like it always does when it gets super summer hot

my peak cooling period monthly bill usually stops just short of $250

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Phoenix15
My power bill was $160 three months ago. Two months ago it was $264 and last month it was $250. We had a extremely hot summer here though. My wife is also home during the day now and she has the thermostat set low enough to hang meat in there. I come home and she's sitting on the couch with a afgan over her. :/

LOL.
My sister in law is like that.
I go to her house and its freezing and she is sitting in a chair with a blanket.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
We use between 500 and 600kwh a month. We turn our computers off at night since we won't use them again until the following evening after work, and we don't leave lights on whenever possible. It's pretty easy to save money on electricity if you make an effort. We keep the AC at 74 when we are home, 76 when we are gone, and 73 at night. Slight but very noticeable differences.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Turn the AC on at night, bring them temp down a few degrees cooler than you set it at now, turn it off during the day - keep the windows, curtains and doors closed. Rates are cheaper at night, so that is when you run the AC, leave the windows and doors shut to keep the cool are in and the curtains closed to keep the hot sun out, and it will remain comfortable all day.

Edit: Oh, my highest bill this summer was $56. I keep the AC at 72 from 10 PM to 6 AM, then 86 until 7 PM, and 78 from 7 to 10 pm.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Baloo
Turn the AC on at night, bring them temp down a few degrees cooler than you set it at now, turn it off during the day - keep the windows, curtains and doors closed. Rates are cheaper at night, so that is when you run the AC, leave the windows and doors shut to keep the cool are in and the curtains closed to keep the hot sun out, and it will remain comfortable all day.

Edit: Oh, my highest bill this summer was $56. I keep the AC at 72 from 10 PM to 6 AM, then 86 until 7 PM, and 78 from 7 to 10 pm.

i wish i lived somewhere that rates were cheaper at night.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: rstove02
Not all meters are read every month. In some cases they are read every couple months and what your billed on is an estimated consumption (usually estimated from current usage and usage during the same time in the previous year). If they over/under estimate your consumption during one estimation period, they subtract/add more to the next estimation period to refund/recoup the difference.

I don't think my meter has ever been read, nor will it ever since it is in the backyard and my dog literally will attack anyone that enters the yard he doesn't know.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Mine went up $100 last month as well.. Its been pretty warm the past couple months.. Starting to cool down now though thankfully

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Baloo

Good idea.

Our bill was $48 last month and $46 the month before that. Our condo is insanely insulated because the temperature inside hardly fluctuates with massive temperature changes outside. Only 2 of our walls are exposed and we have triple pane low-E windows. I keep the blinds shut all day since we aren't there. It is 50-60 degrees here and the temperature hasn't been below 72 ever, and we don't run the heater. It's pretty cool, and it works both ways obviously.