Dammit, my brother riced up my truck while I was away

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Millennium
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: yllus
I sorely doubt a Pontiac Crossfire or whatever is really going to take advantage of being chipped. Or 93 octane gas for that matter.

no, this is the rich guy that owns all the BMW's.

I don't think so, you are thinking of someone else. He owns like a Chevy Trailblazer or something.

No he's right.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: KingNothing
Originally posted by: KingNothing

WTF is an X5? Is that some kind of Honda?

It's BMW's SUV. Are you drunk or something?

Upon further review, Nissan makes the Xterra not BMW.
rolleye.gif

Who are you?

Are you saying that Nissan doesn't make the X5?
rolleye.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA

EMPshockwave82

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2003
that's just a slight mod... not really ricing it up :p

definately not his right to mess with your truck though (punch him in the face)

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
You'd think that someone with the forum name, "Windogg," would appreciate something riced.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Your engine cannot be at a lower rpm at the same speed unless he replaced the differential.

you sure? I may not be a car nut but if the car makes more power than it could be lower at the same speed.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Your engine cannot be at a lower rpm at the same speed unless he replaced the differential.
Actually, depending upon the normal behaviour of the lockup clutch on the torque converter, a 300 RPM drop is possible. It would have to be a pretty sloppy torque converter to give a 300 RPM drop, but 150-200 RPM drops when the lockup clutch kicks in are not at all uncommon.

Of course, this is also a skoorb thread so it's probably made up.

ZV

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I just entered this thread and it hurts my brain. I also wondered though how an RPM drop could possibly be possible. Possibly.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
If you have the X5 4.6is, it already looks somewhat ricey. But it's a good ricey with the nice rims and lamps.

TuffGuy

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Could be done the same way idle RPMs can be adjusted. It might depend on the electronic throttle (reprogram it so it won't open as much) or on the MAF readings. Who knows. That's my theory anyway, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
That's not rice.

If it makes it go faster it's a MOD.

If it just makes it look "different" it's RICE IMO.

Jejunum

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Windogg
[rant]

I made the mistake of leaving my keys in plain view before I left for Jamaica. My brother was going to drop by and pick up a few thing but little did I know he would be up to no good. Got home on Saturday and needed to run to the supermarket to refill the fridge. The truck (okay, it's a tall station wagon) behaved a little odd and seemed really touchy. It wasn't until today did I find out why. While I was gone, he "chipped" it. Granted he got it for free but the ride is no longer silky smooth. My commute is gonna suck tomorrow.

[/rant]

On the plus side, I took out out for an extended drive and my fuel mileage has improved. Seems I am now really taking advantage of 93 octane gas and the engine run 300RPM lower at highway speeds.

AHAHHAAH; rpm speed is dictated by gearing; at any given speed you will ALWAYS run at the same RPM

edit: just read page 2: see in disbelief - link me to how i can change rpm @ a given speed -without changing gears etc.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
A 300 RPM drop is not possible at normal highway speeds (65 MPH) the torque converter clutch is the only thing that can drop engine RPM, and it will engauge well before 65 MPH.

I think your brother replaced your engine with hampsters. Hampsters are known to reduce engine RPM by a minimum of 17%.