Dammit Dell! - updated

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: dude8604
Are the Pentium M's as good as the P4's for gaming? I thought the benchmarks weren't as good.

Get a 8600 with a ATI 9600 with 128 MB...

Should take care of all your gaming needs..

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
8600 from the Dell "recommended solutions"

Pentium®M Processor,1.7 GHz,15.4 in WSXGA+
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
512MB,DDR,333MHz 2 Dimms
80GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
4x CD/DVD burner (DVD+RW/+R) including Sonic RecordNow and MyDVD
128MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 PRO Turbo
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Dell TrueMobile? 1300 WLAN (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) miniPCI Card
Microsoft®Works Suite 2003 with Money 2003
1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year At-Home Service

This is 2149$ A.R. (You paid $2,125 for a refurb of a model that doesnt sell anymore)

1.7 Pentium is equivalent to a 3.06 P4 according to many ppl... and the ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 is awesome for gaming.

Return it... and get this config ... that is if you want to buy dell again ...

dude8604

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2001
Well, they say they're going to exchange it. So I'm not going to be able to get a new one. Oh well...

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Dude.... dell have a 30 day money back policy.

Tell them that the gaming perfomance is less than what u expected, hence u would like to return this 8500 and buy a 8600 from dell.com

Bargain hard... trust me, you are overpaying for your 8500... that too a refurb.

You can customize the 8600 fully, and even get a 7200 rpm hdd ... for better performance.

My advice... ask for your money back/change of model.

Best of luck.

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Just remembered... i think the money back policy of dell is for a lesser time if you buy refurb.

Just argue with them and convince them to let you change your model.

dude8604

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2001
The money back policy doesn't include the cost of return shipping. Do you think they're going to send me another 8500 even though it's discontinued?

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
i wouldn't have bought a refurb laptop, the idiot who had it before probably dropped it down the stairs and spilled his coffee on it too. Then left it in his car at 150F and booted it right up.

But i agree i think Dell doesn't wanna deal with the problam and so their starting to give you the run around.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
i'd rather reformat and see if that helps rather than spending time emailing and calling.

dude8604

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Abhi
Just remembered... i think the money back policy of dell is for a lesser time if you buy refurb.

I called them today, and after waiting on hold for a while, they said that I needed to talk to the "Customer Intentions" department. I hope I can get in touch with them before they ship the replacement.

Millennium, what is DNT?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dude8604
Originally posted by: Abhi

I called them today, and after waiting on hold for a while, they said that I needed to talk to the "Customer Intentions" department. I hope I can get in touch with them before they ship the replacement.

Millennium, what is DNT?

Do not trade list.

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
<BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm...why?

Coz you rather go through all that trouble rather than try a simple re install urself .... </BLOCKQUOTE>

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No sh|t, what an ass. Started dicking around with this on the 11th. Here is is the 17th and he's still got nothing resolved. Reinstalling would have taken less time than one of those phone calls and a post & reply here...
rolleye.gif

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
One thing I've learned from dealing with CSRs. Always portray that you know more than they do, then they have no choice but to forward you to the next step. Be adament about getting this thing returned and it'll happen.

cordite

Jul 17, 2003
Refurbs are always YMMV. Definitely don't buy them unless you're familiar with the equipment and willing to deal with the potential issues. And definitely use Dell's online tools to research the service history on the machine!

I've personally purchased an Inspiron 8000 without any problems and countless Optiplexes for work without any issues. Dell gives you 30 days to return refurb items, which is plenty of time to uncover and iron out any issues. You should format and reinstall as soon as receiving the refurb system.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: cordite
Refurbs are always YMMV. Definitely don't buy them unless you're familiar with the equipment and willing to deal with the potential issues. And definitely use Dell's online tools to research the service history on the machine!

I've personally purchased an Inspiron 8000 without any problems and countless Optiplexes for work without any issues. Dell gives you 30 days to return refurb items, which is plenty of time to uncover and iron out any issues. You should format and reinstall as soon as receiving the refurb system.

1) I've bought over $150,000 in three years @ Dell refurb. Only issues I've ever had were with some inspirion 4000's that had known issues. Replaced the mainboard once and they were good to go. I have utmost faith in their refurb equipment.

2) Only refurb servers and storage have 30 retun policies. Everything else is 14 days.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Originally posted by: cordite

1) I've bought over $150,000 in three years @ Dell refurb. Only issues I've ever had were with some inspirion 4000's that had known issues. Replaced the mainboard once and they were good to go. I have utmost faith in their refurb equipment.

2) Only refurb servers and storage have 30 retun policies. Everything else is 14 days.

We've only purchased 1 Dell refurb for home use. It was a Dell Dimension 4300 (P4/SDRAM - no speed demon). You couldn't tell it was a refurb, the case was in great shape and it was packed just like a new Dell. In the 1 year we owned it we had zero problems with it.

If I found another Dell refurb at a great price, I would not hesitate in buying it although I would be weary of a laptop.

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Wow

You are in the exact same boat that im in. I have my computer purchase in dispute with american express, and i get blue screen errors 10-20 times a day. I had a tech install a new hard drive, which didnt work right after he left. Now american express is handling all the problems, b/c Dell said i didnt call up with the problem within the 14 day return deadline for refurbs. Too bad i have my cell phone bill with their number on it the 3rd day i had the computer. Call time was 66 minutes.

I hope yours gets resolved, because im still fighting with them to get me a computer that doesnt crash.

Last dell product i ever buy.

PS
That commercial about the A+ for cusomter service is a bunch of BS

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
UDT89,

Is Amex aware that you purchased a Dell REFURB?

If they are, do they treat it like any other new retail purchase?

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
to everyone telling him to reinstall, it doesnt work. I reinstalled on my old HD and it didnt work, and i did it on my new HD they gave me and it still doesnt work. I even tried using an older version of windows, and it still doesnt work.

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
UDT89,

Is Amex aware that you purchased a Dell REFURB?

If they are, do they treat it like any other new retail purchase?

Yea they are aware. They have been talking to dell now for a few weeks. I told them when i first started about the shorter return date for refurbs. The problem is that b/c their tech support made me wait 2 weeks for a new HD, it put me out of the return date range. So b/c i waited to try and fix it, i lost the opportunity to return it.