Schweet

Aug 29, 2016
Hello All,

New System build (just a few days old):
gigabyte gaming 5 z170x mobo
i7-6700k
gtx 1070
16gb ddr4

when booting without an OC I get the healthy AO message on my motherboard led, but if I overclock the CPU even slightly I get a D4 message, which according to my mobo manual means "PCI resource allocation error. Out of Resources," so I guess it's weird that OC'ing the CPU causes the error, because D4 seems to be concerned with PCI cards.

From this thread:
https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/42104-d4-and-d3-error

I got the idea that it might be the CPU OC, so I reset that and it fixed it. That is, I get the AO message when there is no CPU OC, but the D4 with even the slightest CPU OC. There is no GPU OC.

If I OC, then according to CPU-Z the speed of the CPU switches between the stock 4.0 and whatever I have set the OC to, whether it be 4.2 or 4.4 etc...would that happen normally?

There does not appear to be any stability or functionality issues so far, it's just the mobo light changes, but it worries me somewhat.

thanks

Schweet

Aug 29, 2016
hmmmm I switched to a 20% cpu boost option rather than the 4.2, 4.4 ghz etc...option in the bios and that has successfully booted, AO message, with a 4.3ghz overclock (which is not a 20% increase from 4.0 lol but whatever, not sure what the 20% is of)

Schweet

Aug 29, 2016
further update:
it seems to change between AO and D4 between boots, changing based on whether I am booting cold or restarting, but not in any consistent way, if that helps

Schweet

Aug 29, 2016
further update:
I did some more research and found this answer:
"In my case 04 relates to a power state. Windows 8 has a function called 'Fast Start up'. This creates a folder which saves all your settings on shutdown. If you boot back up again relatively quickly then Windows uses this folder to boot faster and the 04 code will then appear. This is much like resuming from sleep where the code 03 will be seen.
Turning off Fast start up via the control panel and power options will see the system boot up from stand still with no 04 code and it will boot straight to A0 as per normal function.
In your case booting from cold you should see A0 or whatever stands for normal operation with your board although your motherboard may differ from mine (GA-Z97X-Gaming 7).
If your system is running without issue i wouldn't worry about it. If it does bother you though you could try reseating your components like gpu, ram and HDD.
I'd actually got the above the wrong way around. Booting from cold will get you the 04 debug code as that's when the fast start up folder is used. If you reboot it's not used so hence the default to A0."

and, from another thread:

"Hey,

I had the same puzzling issue with my board as well, it turns out its not 'D4' but '04' because having a 'D' on that display would be hard to differentiate it from '0' or 'O'.

That code, '04' is the last sleep state the PC was in after you turned it on, if you disable all the sleep states the display will always show 'A0' if everything is fine.

The motherboard is fine dont worry about it, it only shows up after is comes up from sleep/hibernation.

To clarify, is your system hanging during boot when you see that error message? If so, try disabling "Fast Startup" or completely disabling hibernation (type "powercfg -h off" in cmd). What you describe could have to do with fast startup feature in Windows 8, especially if that only occurs during cold boot and not during restarts. In Windows 8, cold boot is not really a cold boot if fast startup is enabled. It's similar to resuming from hibernation instead of performing an actual cold boot sequence. I've been told this could cause driver issues, leading to system hanging in the middle of boot. On the contrary, restart actually performs cold boot, so all drivers are re-initialized from scratch, which could explain your lack of issues during restarts.
I had system hanging during boot up from time to time with that same board. I forget what error message was displayed, but it was caused by the fast startup feature in Windows 8. Hasn't happened since i disabled hibernation completely.

Adotkdotjh thank you very much!! The problem was resolved i just disabled the fast startup on power setting and the D4 code is gone, anyway my pc still booting fast so there is no difference!!!"

so, it looks like I just need to disable fast boot, or in some other way change the power and hibernation settings, although I am in win10 not 8. I'll check it when I get home and let you know if it works.

Schweet

Aug 29, 2016
i turned off fast boot and now it's AO every time :)

question is, am I now suffering a slower boot just to avoid the D4 message? Or was there potentially something actually going wrong there? It's on an SSD so the boot is fast enough that I don't really notice anyway though.