D-Link 5-Port Managed Modular Switch - $30

Vincent

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Shipping via UPS Ground residential was $15 to me in Southern California.

p0ntif

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
This is a pretty sweet switch, where might one buy the modules for it?

p0ntif

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
eeek found the 8 port 10 base module for it $995! here!
:p anyone find it cheaper?

edit
Just found it cheaper here
its only $602.00!
:p

JahWren

Dec 31, 2000
I bought two. Got them a few days ago. They are huge, full-size industrial puppies with a fan and rack-mount kit. These guys are from 1997 which explains why they are so cheap, they are old, old, old tech. I haven't dug into the configuration stuff yet, but I sincerely doubt that there is any provision for bandwidth limiting - I would be surprised if it could even do all 5 ports flat-out at 100mbps.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
I had bought one of these a few months ago and it works fairly well. I have an port to a 10baseT network connection, 3 100baseT computers, and a 10baseT HP printer. The computers are always connected to the various internet activities and even when transferring at 100 between the computers, the utilization light rarely makes it up high. We hit a problem with a Linux buffer overflow screwing with the printer and causing it to print nonsense until it ran out of paper. I was able to limit the port that the printer is connected to to only accept certain MAC addresses (the ones on the switch and one down the hall). It is a bit noisy and large and their software isn't so great to manage it with but it works great unmanaged and connecting to the serial port lets me manage it decently.

Wedesdo

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
what's the difference between a Managed Modular Switch and a normal Switch? I have noticed that MMS devices are much, more expensive than normal switches, but what is their special function?

johto

Apr 20, 2001
my roomate got this... its very loud.

can't really be expanded with anything for a reasonable price.

you can't telnet into it but you can manage it via snmp.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001

<< my roomate got this... its very loud.

can't really be expanded with anything for a reasonable price.

you can't telnet into it but you can manage it via snmp.
>>

You can telnet into it if you give it a set IP but since there didn't seem to be any password protection, I gave it a bad subnet and just use the serial which has the same functions. DLink's tech support on these is a little fuzzy though but I think that is because they were switching jobs when I needed their help.

ToiletDuck

Jan 17, 2001
Also, if i connect this to a hub, can i still use the other 4 ports? Most switches if u use the uplink then u cant use the port next to it.