d/l forcing router connection to drop - has Verizon techs stumped

cgott42

Jan 6, 2002
I have had Verizon FIOS for years in 2 separate homes (my parents' house and my own). I have a logmein Himachi VPN and also a Pogoplug PC connection between the 2 locations so that I have the PC's mapped as a network drive in Windows Explorer
I use FreeDownloadManager to transfer large files (approx. 10-20GB) between locations.
For years it has worked great.
Recently I upgraded the FIOS speed, and now when I transfer files the entire connection gets dropped, and I need to call verizon to reset the line or router (not sure which they're doing)

They've since replaced the router and outside relay switch- but same problem.

Any idea?
Is there any router settings that I should change? Anything to do?
thx

cmetz

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2001
You can reset the router by power cycling it (i.e., pull power plug, put back in). That doesn't work for the ONT, but if you first unplug the BBU you can then unplug it and plug it back in and reset that. Do what makes it fail, then try power cycling the router. If that doesn't get you online, try power cycling the ONT. If neither get you online... it's on their end.

Do you have static IP service or the normal dynamic?

cgott42

Jan 6, 2002
I have the normal service I assume (didn't ask for static IP)
I've tried rebooting and power cycling the router, even had them replace the router and had the same result.
I can get back online without problem, but once I do that download it will cause the router to crash

cmetz

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2001
If the problem is their router (that is, the ONT is fine, power cycling the router fixes things) - just don't use their router. It's not required.

Easiest way is to get Verizon to light up the Ethernet jack on your ONT if they haven't already (they usually don't by default now). Then you can run Ethernet to whatever router you want to use. If that's a problem, you can buy a MoCA to Ethernet bridge and run your router off that. If you have FIOS video there might be some extra configuration steps, but people have figured it all out.

See the broadbandreports.com FIOS forum for how-to, this should be covered in their FAQ.

sabahm

Dec 7, 2012
At first, restart your router and see whether it works through it or not.But if still you face such a problem then contact to your service provider.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I am willing to bet at that level of transfer that there is a policy in place that the field techs don't know about.