D.C., Maryland begin seeking Trump financial documents in case related to his D.C. hotel

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I'd be willing to bet that along with the money turned over to the treasury there is a piece of paper that enumerates where it came from.

That is the thing, there is not. That is why the lawsuit.

The entire story is based on the assumption of wrong doing, not on any evidence of it, and also on the mistaken belief that Trump is required to prove innocence.

No, we have proof of wrong doing. We have foreign governments openly saying that they are using Trump properties because they are afraid if they don't they will get lesser treatment by our government. That is precisely what the emolument clause is supposed to prevent. It is why every other President puts his businesses in a blind trust when they take office.

With this particular case, the information will end up being reviewed by a judge, and possibly audited. That's when I'll decide if he's guilty or not.

No it won't. That is what this ruling was. The courts just said that neither Congress, nor the States, nor the City's have standing to sue. That literally means no one has standing to sue and the emolument clause can not be enforced because no one has the ability to do so.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
So...The emoluments lawsuit brought by the state of Maryland and D.C. has been thrown out, which is disappointing. Apparently for reasons having to do with whether or not the plaintiffs had standing.

Which begs the question: - Who *does* have standing to blow the whistle on a president taking payoffs from a foreign country?

I'm going to guess it's impeachment or bust, so far as the courts are concerned. I'm guessing no Republican judge will touch it, standing or not.