Cyborg Rat 7

Tattoedsailor

Mar 22, 2013
I just got a Corsair m65, but I think im going return it. Overall its great mouse love snip button. The sensitivity is awesome (8200 dpi). The deal breaker is the lack of switching profiles on the fly. Really disappointing that Corsair hasn't added this feature. Otherwise its awesome product.

Anyway hows the Rat series in general? Good software? Looks like it has all features I want (snipe button and mode switch)..

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Has the z axis issue, otherwise its a flawless sensor or at least close to one.

Personally I found a RAT 9 to be too heavy, there is too much metal in the design and that just makes it slow to move. The buttons aren't that great, cheap switches etc but the mouse wheel was OK. The snipe button worked after a fashion and the drivers didn't give me too much trouble but I hated that mouse from the outset. It was not the right shape or weight for my style.

Tattoedsailor

Mar 22, 2013
Has the z axis issue, otherwise its a flawless sensor or at least close to one.

Personally I found a RAT 9 to be too heavy, there is too much metal in the design and that just makes it slow to move. The buttons aren't that great, cheap switches etc but the mouse wheel was OK. The snipe button worked after a fashion and the drivers didn't give me too much trouble but I hated that mouse from the outset. It was not the right shape or weight for my style.

Did you remove weights? I don't like it when their too heavy. The first thing I did with Corsair is remove the weights. I tend to max the dpi and turn off acceleration within windows. The other mouse I'm looking @ is CM Sentinel II. I can live without snipe button..

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
What about Logitech's G500s, or G700s? The left-button extra buttons are easy to reach with a claw grip, any button can be bound to DPI shift (AKA snipe button), and it offers the same insane high DPI. You can switch profiles manually, as needed, but I'm not sure of the details (I only have a desktop and game profile, so don't use that feature on my mice). If you like the boxy design of the Corsair, though, they don't have anything comparable to that (the G9x may look similar enough in photos, but it's ergonomically a totally different animal).

The RAT's software did not impress me (limited and buggy), but I tried it right after release, and the combination of that and the sensor was too much. They might have fixed the software, but I'd still be leery of the sensor. Also, weights or not, it is plain heavy.

I can't really say for CMs. The Xornet was nice, but I didn't make much use of any software, so...

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I removed all the weights, but it was still the heaviest mouse I have ever owned. My Zowie AM (which I like but is a little too narrow) is less than half the weight and it makes an enormous difference to how responsive the mouse is. Basically I stopped looking for high end gaming mice and instead went back to optical sensors (which are better than laser for gamers) and have been a lot happier with simpler, lighter and flawless mice.

I have seen no reviews on esreality about the CM Sentinel II, which likely means its complete garbage. At least the Cyborg Rat series are on there with mild sensor flaws listed.

Tattoedsailor

Mar 22, 2013
Rat 3 has optical sensor nice basic layout and not heavy (plastic base).. Just picked one up @ Best buy so far I really like it. What mouse pad are you using with the optical sensor?

Last edited:

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I use a puretrak talent, which is far from optimal for a Zowie mouse but the Cyborg RAT's track well on it.

Tattoedsailor

Mar 22, 2013
Your not first person that has told me that optical is better for gaming. Why is sensor better then laser? Just curious..

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Your not first person that has told me that optical is better for gaming. Why is sensor better then laser? Just curious..
Laser mice often need certain surfaces to work best on, can be sensitive enough to pick up things like vibration from audio, and can be highly imprecise with dust or hair in the way, which will often occur on cloth pads. The sensors themselves are roughly the same. The main difference is that the optical sensor uses a wide-angle LED, and has more possible points to pick motion from, while a laser will get higher contrast from a small area. Logitech and Razer generally do the best jobs of making them tolerate different surfaces.

If the sensors and lenses were separately developed and adapted, lasers would likely not have their reputation for finickiness. What we get is, instead, a single sensor, with a laser aimed to reflect towards its lens, which may or may not be focused well, and different firmware from the non-laser equivalent. The non-laser type is in much higher demand, so gets more development and testing, and represents the base platform.

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
I found the shape a case of 'ergonomics by smoke & mirrors'. There's very little you can adjust that makes a truly meaningful difference to cater for different hand shapes. The sensor is kind of cruddy as well, and the overall balance of the mouse is off due to the sensor placement in relation to the bottom chassis.

Nov 26, 2005
I don't know much about Optical vs Laser but I do like my R.A.T. wired 7. My model has been discontinued and a new revision is out. I found the easiest way to remedy the glitching from the laser eye is to use a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean off the eye. A lint roller used for clothes works best to clean off my mouse pad. This should be in the gamer's normal maintenance handbook