Cyberpunk 2077

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yes, it's not really an open world RPG or even an immersive sim with any kind of emergent gameplay, more of a straight linear FPS with a lot of content. It's a good game if you view it that way. You get slightly better gear all the time, so there is no point in going for a certain look or investing into one set of weapons.

Also, as some people said earlier in the thread, I want this game to succeed at some level despite its issues, because this type of game is becoming rare today. Everyone is making live service, microtransaction-based multiplayer games that are more profitable. Unfortunately I think the poor reception to this will turn off AAA developers from making such games in the future.

Last edited:

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
It's not a linear FPS come on.. When I think linear FPS Half-Life, COD, Doom etc. come to mind...

Reactions: zinfamous

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
fair enough. i find it weird that people still play skyrim after have finished the content dozens of times over; i think, what are you playing it for, the challenge??
Or Fallout, same thing.
i remember replaying shadowrun on snes and sega, was such a great game, i replayed to get better skills / use diff character / body guards etc, wish i had time to play games i guess ill try this game out since i do seem to read teh thread about it and have the game and a 1080ti heh.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
It's not a linear FPS come on.. When I think linear FPS Half-Life, COD, Doom etc. come to mind...

The maps feel pretty open-ended, but it's linear in the sense of having a single way to play the game and complete most quests and objectives, with a pre-set story and choices for V.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The maps feel pretty open-ended, but it's linear in the sense of having a single way to play the game and complete most quests and objectives, with a pre-set story and choices for V.

That's not true at all. Every mission map, whether a little Icon quest or story, can generally be completed in a variety of ways, at least in the way the industry and players, today, define "multiple ways." Most buildings have multiple paths and yes--you can go through much of the game without having to kill anyone (I think there are a few where you just can't get around that, though). It may feel samey and repetitive after a while, but this is literally how every similar game operates. No one really does anything more elaborate with these mechanics.

I agree that the world provides a false sense of "sandbox"--it's why I compare it more to the Mafia games than GTA, or even The Witcher. You get this big open world populated with stuff, and the sense of doing all these things, and the game kinda wants you to explore all of that and do all these things, but just below the surface, there isn't much there.

I'd say when it comes to being "linear," the game pushes you along the main questline more directly than similar games do--not a lot of gaps (say like, hard level caps to encourage you to go do other stuff for some time before rejoining the next primary mission), but not in the sense like a real "linear FPS"--as mentioned, Half Life or CoD games, which move you from map to map as you complete each level, nothing else to distract you from doing anything but finishing the game.

Reactions: Racan

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
I'd say when it comes to being "linear," the game pushes you along the main questline more directly than similar games do--not a lot of gaps (say like, hard level caps to encourage you to go do other stuff for some time before rejoining the next primary mission)

It's the same as the Witcher 3 in that regard, as it also used enemy levels to keep you from attempting some quests until you've reached a certain character level, though as in CP2077 technically you can still try them if you like fighting HP bloated enemies...

Personally I'm not a fan of this design decision, that's why my favorite mod for the Witcher 3 automatically scales Geralt and his gear to the enemy level you encounter so you get the intended balance for every fight, thus letting you tackle any available quest right from the start. It works pretty well in general, CP2077 needs a similar mod.

Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
That's not true at all. Every mission map, whether a little Icon quest or story, can generally be completed in a variety of ways, at least in the way the industry and players, today, define "multiple ways." Most buildings have multiple paths and yes--you can go through much of the game without having to kill anyone (I think there are a few where you just can't get around that, though). It may feel samey and repetitive after a while, but this is literally how every similar game operates. No one really does anything more elaborate with these mechanics.

I find the problem is that the non-straight shooter ways of playing the game (stealth, hacking) all feel unsatisfying in different ways. The stealth mechanics are janky and enemies don't react to you in the same way as most stealth-focused games. You can quickhack everything, but this makes the game trivially easy and boring until you encounter a boss (which need a combat-oriented build to beat). Deus Ex HR and MD had much better stealth/hacking play styles. The dialogue choices seem consequential but have no impact later on, and the upgrades don't give you new abilities and just boost your stats by small amounts. I just pick random stuff whenever I get upgrade points instead of investing in any specific skills.

I do like the maps and map layout a lot, and they are much better than the COD type games. I actually really like it as an FPS because it reminds me of the FPSs from 20 years ago, which had such maps along with quicksaves, health, etc. However, Deus Ex did some of the gameplay aspects a lot better.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah it is a bit more on CDKeys now, up to about $28. Note this is GOG version. Also it is on sale on steam for 20% off, or about $48.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The game is $24.79 from cdkeys if anyone interested and news on patch 1.2...

wow that seems....incredibly thin on "massive fixes to make the game work for everyone" type of promises they made earlier. I do get the feeling that they are more or less abandoning the consoles on this one, for some time at least.

....now, I do like the way they worked this into NightNews scripting and the "unworkable efficiency of the NC police." haha. That's pretty good. Would be cool if they could also patch these bits into the actual game as part of the news reports that are playing in the background. New Breaking News...that would be kinda neat, actually.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
yeah, that's a solid injection of patching right there. Curious if it will do anything to help the consoles--looks like they just disabled some of the higher end functions on last gen, though, hah.

hopefully there will be new content....eh before the end of the year.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
This patch fixes some things and breaks others. They now let you remap some more keys in the game, but have actually removed the option to remap other keys from the config file. I can no longer bind all the use/read/close popup keys to my mouse buttons. Pretty annoying, but I'm nearing the end of the game anyway.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This patch fixes some things and breaks others. They now let you remap some more keys in the game, but have actually removed the option to remap other keys from the config file. I can no longer bind all the use/read/close popup keys to my mouse buttons. Pretty annoying, but I'm nearing the end of the game anyway.

why is that? Is it because the keys you bound for those functions can no longer be bound with the update? With my mouse binding--the logitech software just handles whatever key I put in for the button; but this also means that in some games, I'm binding functions to like, ";" or ~ or whatever, so I guess if the game system limits the actual keys you can bind to anything, that makes sense. I hate that.

It boggles my mind how allowing total key re-binding breaks anything in any sort of game. I really don't get it.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Those keys are just not in the config file anymore, and they never were in the ingame menu. In fact using the old version's config file crashes the game.

I do the same thing as you, and have a fixed set of key bindings for many games. I have a G604 mouse but don't keep G-Hub installed because it conflicts with LGS that my other devices use. If I really wanted to fix this I have to install G-Hub and make an extra profile just for this game.

Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Those keys are just not in the config file anymore, and they never were in the ingame menu. In fact using the old version's config file crashes the game.

I do the same thing as you, and have a fixed set of key bindings for many games. I have a G604 mouse but don't keep G-Hub installed because it conflicts with LGS that my other devices use. If I really wanted to fix this I have to install G-Hub and make an extra profile just for this game.

hmm, the more I think about it, I guess the main reason to keep certain keys unmappable by the game, is that they are specific to dev needs? Like, specific console-based, quick edit tasks so that they can just quickly test things in the release version without having to fiddle with opening the console window and enter commands? ...I have no idea, really, but it seems to me that devs do this for some sort of internal need and they don't want to make conflicts with game mechanics.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I don't even think these keys are used for anything else. They worked just fine in the previous version. The problem is the commands are no longer in the config file at all.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Sadly I made the mistake of buying this steaming pile of garbage game on sale a few weeks ago and didn't try playing it till after the return period so the lazy scumbags got my money.

Not the bugs that killed it for me it's the crap non-mappable controls... yes I know I could do some config file edit workarounds but that's a pain and it was the developers job not mine. (should have waited for the bargain-bin)

Inexcusable .... 1998 called they want their freaking game back. :mad:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I finished the game and tried all the endings. Despite all its flaws, I still really liked it. I prefer ambitious but flawed games like this over games that are polished but generic.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Thought I'd give it another go, so I am playing the male characters this time... Female V is an better actor ;) .. Anyway, 1.21 and cigs are still floating, people still ice-skating-walking and a number of other bugs... Its a little crazy it still has this many bugs. And now multi player is sort of out?

edit : And the "cant run" bug has spread to "cant jump" too ... these cant possibly be the same devs that did The Witcher .. must be another team.

Last edited: