Cyberpunk 2077

Page 35 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
....I don't get it. Is it the same voice actor? Damn impressive if that's the case.

He's got an extensive filmography so you have to scroll a long way to get to Final Fantasy X. It was released in 2001, which might make it easier to find.

• Wow
Reactions: zinfamous

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You should tell that to CDPR who insists on selling it to run on XBox One. Digital Foundry tested 1.1 on XBO (boy are they milking it for all it's worth) and its still not any better. Still getting the popin-popout issues and frame rates are still too low. I wonder if you would get the same issues if you played on PC with a platter drive.
There's a lot of people that think because this is the latest graphical marvel that it's not meant for the original consoles it was marketed for at the time when they were building up hype for the game.

My biggest issue isn't even with whether it runs well or not but just that it's nothing like it was claimed to be. Lots of functionality the devs touted is just not there. The world is pretty, but empty feeling at the same time.

It's a looter shooter with a good story and I think it's fun but at the same time disappointed that even core concepts from other open world titles from years back are missing here.

I guess after witcher 3 I was expecting more of the same but better.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
Gotcha

My monitor is freesync compatible which works pretty well. I haven't had to deal with vsync in most games anymore

VRR is a godsend, wouldn't buy a monitor without it these days, but on a laptop is harder to find.

Last edited:
Reactions: killster1

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think this is what we got basically, in what ways did it came up short of that for you?

well, the main story + primary character arch stories aren't even 3/4 as long as Vanilla Witcher 3, compared to release. ....If I had to give an overarching criticism about the primary gem of this game--the cinematic story-telling wonder that it is--it just feels too short...you have to milk it a bit more to just to squeeze it.

For now, it just needs more of that story hook, because that's what it does so well. But yeah, the AI and world is really just broken. It works fine enough moving from story point to story point, which the game wants you to do...but the game world really and truly is designed and exists in a sort of GTA world, so you really WANT to Linger, and check things out. You are invited to do it, but it just....falls to pieces when you start hanging out too long in places. It's hard to ignore that.

When you think about it, Witcher 3 isn't any different, but the world is blown up a bit....significantly. There is so much more space between towns and areas that you don't end up with the stacking pedestrian issues and exploding rocket cars (or wagons) just trying to spawn into the world when their range is accessed. Novigrad, obviously, is quite large and if you've really spent time in that game, you've also encountered regular t-posing nonsense and the same king of glitches you find in CP...but it's less crowded, at least, so less nonsense.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
well, the main story + primary character arch stories aren't even 3/4 as long as Vanilla Witcher 3, compared to release. ....If I had to give an overarching criticism about the primary gem of this game--the cinematic story-telling wonder that it is--it just feels too short...you have to milk it a bit more to just to squeeze it.

Yes that I don't like, who cares if many players don't finish the game because the story is too long, the Witcher 3 sold good enough as is.

For now, it just needs more of that story hook, because that's what it does so well. But yeah, the AI and world is really just broken. It works fine enough moving from story point to story point, which the game wants you to do...but the game world really and truly is designed and exists in a sort of GTA world, so you really WANT to Linger, and check things out. You are invited to do it, but it just....falls to pieces when you start hanging out too long in places. It's hard to ignore that.

When you think about it, Witcher 3 isn't any different, but the world is blown up a bit....significantly. There is so much more space between towns and areas that you don't end up with the stacking pedestrian issues and exploding rocket cars (or wagons) just trying to spawn into the world when their range is accessed. Novigrad, obviously, is quite large and if you've really spent time in that game, you've also encountered regular t-posing nonsense and the same king of glitches you find in CP...but it's less crowded, at least, so less nonsense.

Can't say I disagree with any of this, the pedestrian AI especially since is most commonly encountered. I hope they can fix this but can they really?
Speaking of blowing up the world a bit, I wish they would have done that much more vertically. Imagine using an entire megabuilding for something a la Dredd 2012, Die Hard, The Raid. Huge potential for a DLC imo.

Reactions: zinfamous

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think this is what we got basically, in what ways did it came up short of that for you?
Well one thing is the story path doesn't change much nor does it affect much of what you do. This could have used more work like zinfamous said.

The other stuff is basically the broken AI which I don't think they can fix. With this being open world and GTA style, why can't I store cars I find or own different safe houses? It would have been awesome to start off in a crappy apartment and while you do gigs and side stuff, you gain money enough to get something in a nice high rise or in a different part of the city?

I feel like this game could have used some type of economy in Night City.

Why doesn't the minimap work properly? Like it doesn't zoom out when you drive around.

The world screams check me out but it feels like it should have more to do. I guess after playing the GTA games and red dead 2 I was expecting that level of detail in this title.

The witcher was 7 years ago so you just expect improvements by now. Similar to how our bosses probably expect us to improve and be more efficient at work/creative in a given time span.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I started playing this and like the game a lot, as a big Deus Ex and Fallout fan who ignored all the pre-release hype. I love the style of the world and all the NPCs, although it's not very interactive at all. The core gameplay and worldbuilding is great though. You can tell the game was overly ambitious and has cut out lots of content, but many of the best RPG-type games of the past were just like this when they came out.

It does run pretty poorly for how it looks even on PC. I play with 4K at medium/high settings with quality DLSS and RT off, and get 70-100fps. I liked RT in other games but the performance hit is not worth it here, as opposed to a higher resolution. Some areas are amazingly detailed while others look like a 10 year old game. I also remapped a bunch of keys in the config file, which are not in the menus for some reason.

jonwilliam

Feb 14, 2021
I started playing this and like the game a lot, as a big Deus Ex and Fallout fan who ignored all the pre-release hype. I love the style of the world and all the NPCs, although it's not very interactive at all. The core gameplay and worldbuilding is great though. You can tell the game was overly ambitious and has cut out lots of content, but many of the best RPG-type games of the past were just like this when they came out.

It does run pretty poorly for how it looks even on PC. I play with 4K at medium/high settings with quality DLSS and RT off, and get 70-100fps. I liked RT in other games but the performance hit is not worth it here, as opposed to a higher resolution. Some areas are amazingly detailed while others look like a 10 year old game. I also remapped a bunch of keys in the config file, which are not in the menus for some reason.

I am not sure if I saw such mixed reactions about a game. Your comment is a perfect summary of how people think about the game. They have something good to say about the game but they also have some complaints about the game as well. For me, it was a real disappointment and I only played the game for about a week before getting a refund. It is quite possible that I may return to the game at some point when its DLC and next gen upgrade is available.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
After playing about halfway through it, I think it's still a very good game if you approach it as a conventional, story-driven FPS set in an open world with lots of side quests. It's not really an RPG where your choices and character build matter, or a GTA-style sandbox game. I think people were expecting all of those things and were left disappointed.

I started playing it as a stealth game but the stealth mechanics and hacking are clunky compared to Deus Ex or Dishonored. It plays better as a straight FPS with a sniper-oriented build. The Blade Runner-style world is fun to explore despite the lack of interactivity. The cars and driving are fun but more of a novelty and not part of the core gameplay, and I just fast travel to quests for the most part. You keep getting slightly better guns and armor all the time and there is rarely any reason to invest in one gun for long.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I still don't plan on buying this game until I can upgrade my 1080ti to a 3080 at a reasonable price. Since that'll be a while I'm curious what updates they'll put out over the next 4-6 months.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I still don't plan on buying this game until I can upgrade my 1080ti to a 3080 at a reasonable price. Since that'll be a while I'm curious what updates they'll put out over the next 4-6 months.
Yea pretty much what I'm doing too. I should uninstall it from my pc in that case. Who knows when we will easily be able to buy a gpu upgrade.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- Got the game as a gift and I'm not planning on burning up a bunch of my data cap (yay US Service providers) until after the game has gotten a bunch of patches/updates/etc.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
- Got the game as a gift and I'm not planning on burning up a bunch of my data cap (yay US Service providers) until after the game has gotten a bunch of patches/updates/etc.
Seeing how the source code was hacked and sold, CDPR have said they have been unable to work on the next patch1.2 or whatever was scheduled. I'm guessing it will take a while until we see another patch with worthwhile improvements.

simas

Oct 16, 2005

works pretty well on 1080TI (played for 80hours). Also in the boat of pending upgrade from 1080 TI to 3080/3080 TI 'when things return to normal'. Sadly, I dont think unless crypto is started to be dealt with as controlled substance (illegal possession, manufacture, distribution ,etc) , none of this would happen the would continue to engage is the very not smart activity (in my opinion) feeding the greed of the few.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
so, you guys still playing this?

Is CP77 gonna turn into some weird kind of Skyrim thing, where people play 500hours out of a 30hour campaign?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

Is CP77 gonna turn into some weird kind of Skyrim thing, where people play 500hours out of a 30hour campaign?
I am, but I only get a few hours a week to play so I only have 25 hours in so far

Reactions: killster1

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I am, but I only get a few hours a week to play so I only have 25 hours in so far
fair enough. i find it weird that people still play skyrim after have finished the content dozens of times over; i think, what are you playing it for, the challenge??
Or Fallout, same thing.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
fair enough. i find it weird that people still play skyrim after have finished the content dozens of times over; i think, what are you playing it for, the challenge??
Or Fallout, same thing.
Who knows, for some it just scratches some sort of itch I guess and they don't get it from other games. I put a lot more time into Just Cause 2 back when it came out because I just found the movement mechanics and base destroying stuff so fun. These days I don't have the time for anything like that, so I try to focus on story driven games I can get though in less than 30 hours if possible

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I haven't played it past the first patch and probably won't until I can upgrade my gpu. But who knows when that will be. By then I should be able to enjoy it more and perhaps another patch could come.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I don't think there is nearly enough content to get a Skyrim-like playthrough. The extra stuff, aside from a few non-necessary storylines, isn't that good.

But it all depends what kind of DLC comes out--if it's like Witcher 3 in depth and content, then very likely. But I don't really see it. Witcher 3 was still way bigger, in the vanilla campaign (same with Skyrim...I uh, think I punched 500 hours in that before the first DLC was ever released. Not sure if I ever completed any of those DLC, actually, despite two additional, rather long playthroughs....I get too distracted smithing knives and collecting Daedric relics for some reason. Actually, I forget what I do in Skyrim, but it's never progress. Hmm, you know, I haven't yet played the special addition...bet there's some new mods!).

Anyway, I'm going to play through this again with another life path; maybe 2 times. Not sure. depends on new content, I guess.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Or Fallout, same thing.

You play Skyrim again because on the first playthrough, you didn't have the waifu armor set available and Assault on Penis Tower fan-made mission packs, duh.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
One playthrough can probably be 100 hours if you do everything. I play these types of games for 2-3 hours a day for a few months. Some of the side quests are surprisingly interesting, but others are generic and can be skipped. The lifepath doesn't have much impact, but I only have time to play through it once and am fine with that.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005

No, in my case I was genuinely enjoying the game for the first day or two. But starting on maybe the 3rd day after I had done a good number of quests in a row I started to wander around in the city just... walking (manner of speech actually... since we can't walk, per se) and checking out what could actually be done, or what would actually happen (on its own, I.E. 'random events' in the city / population) between missions; or in other words, I wanted to check how I could Role-Play my character, and how was the City "alive" in any ways and forms. It was then that I realized rather quickly that we couldn't do anything, really. And that nothing "else" (other than doing quests) was happening either.

That I couldn't go to a bar and order a drink, or even sit down on a bench at a street corner if I wanted to. I couldn't even walk. I also realized at that point how the apartment served essentially no real purpose (outside of some specific quest moments). Then I found out that going in clothing stores was useless (couldn't even preview clothing before buying), then I found out how there's basically just one 'strip club' in Night City, and basically two sex workers (serving an entire city, I bet their schedule is pretty full).

By the 4th day or so I thought I'd at least continue doing my quests, and I did that a bit more (and doing that made me realize more and more how the City was just 'there' for the sake of being there, and had no content and substance or "soul" to it). By the 5th day I had enough, took a break. Then a few days after that I think patch 1.05 was out already, I continued my quests for Judy, got to the "romance" portion of that story, slept with her, and the following morning as the romance plot "concludes" it's time to leave that small house near the lake and that's it. That's where I stopped and I uninstalled for now.

I haven't touched it since. So I got maybe 1 week out of it, max. I'm ready to leave it behind for 2 years if that's what it takes. But for now I can live without it just fine and I have zero regret taking a break from a game that was - at the very best - about 30 or 35% "completed" (and to think that they were telling us all the way back at E3 2018 that the game was already "content complete" lol, I cannot imagine how little of the game even existed in 2018, besides the pre-baked 48 mins demonstration that was shown to the journalists behind closed doors, which the public got to see a few months later).