Cyberpunk 2077

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I dont get this at all why Keanu Reeves doing in this game is it to sell more copies of it. This game is gonna sell without him. I think it looks odd when they put real people in a computer game
Maybe they're just fans, and thought it would be cool, so they asked him? He was also in Johnny Mnemonic back in the day, of course.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I take it you haven't seen the John Wick movies?

Unless it's a Disney animated or Marvel, I have seen very few movies lately :) I've heard of John Wick but that's about it as far of recent movies. Keanu to me was always Bill and Ted's, Point Blank and Matrix.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Unless it's a Disney animated or Marvel, I have seen very few movies lately :) I've heard of John Wick but that's about it as far of recent movies. Keanu to me was always Bill and Ted's, Point Blank and Matrix.
He's picked up a major meme-class following on the internet as being like, a genuinely good person without any caveats or hangups. Like giving old ladies his seat on the subway or donating paychecks kinda stuff.

Hell, he refused a huge amount of money for the 2nd and 3rd matrix movies to get the special effects and costume folks paid more for them.

Plus the John Wick movies are really good.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
It definitely changes the balance when they start adding that DLC, more levels, more items, etc. So you pretty much have to start over if you play a vanilla game through and come back some time later to start the DLC...well, depending on what kind of min/max gearing type of person you are.

With me, I was perfectly happy coming back to W3 about a year? later after all the DLC and newgame+ was out. I just started a new playthrough in newgame+, to make sure I got some proper green sets and nice epic weapon drops or whatever. ...I think I even had a more complete main-game playthrough that time and it was much quicker. (for one thing--I ignored most of the billions of loot drops on the map--for whatever reason, I wasted so much time in that little canoe all over Skellige, just trying to pick those up, lol).

The DLC for W3 is absolutely phenomenal, though.

I think Cyberpunk has a couple of classes and play styles to choose? This would give me more incentive for a 2nd complete playthrough after the game is thoroughly updated.

DLC was a nice extra, but at least the Main game (W3) was nicely tied up without the DLC, unlike a lot of other games. I got the main game free with an nVidia video card purchase, and bought the DLC later when it was on sale. I wish they would make a new W3 style game with Ciri as the protagonist. The game could follow different paths depending on her fate at the end of W3.

Cyberpunk looks like a great game, but not one that appeals to me personally.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
This is the rig the demo was running one. Hopefully I'll have a new gpu by the time the game is out.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K @ 3.70 GHz

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V, 2x16GB, 3000MHz, CL15

GPU: Titan RTX

SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB M.2 PCIe

PSU: Corsair SF600 600W

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was a BIG fan of 'Snatcher' (by Konami) for the SegaCD, and 'Rise of the Dragon' (also for SegaCD), both of them had a great sort of ""Cyberpunk Feel" to them, back in the 90s. I can't wait for this one.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
^ I hate to be that guy, but I have concerns: this game being released on old-ass platforms like xOne or PS4 or whatever they are these days. the next gen consoles are out at the end of next year, barely 6 months after this game releases....it gives me that "DAI pause" regarding all of the complaining and moaning about that game being brought down by garbage PS3 and X360 fidelity.

I'm super excited for the new consoles simple because they won't be so dog slow in the CPU department. The awful jaguar cores are really holding back the state of gaming right now. You can' easily turn up rendering, with GPU differences, but CPU has major gameplay impacts that aren't as easy to make a slider for.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm super excited for the new consoles simple because they won't be so dog slow in the CPU department. The awful jaguar cores are really holding back the state of gaming right now. You can' easily turn up rendering, with GPU differences, but CPU has major gameplay impacts that aren't as easy to make a slider for.

And it's even worse in a game like Cyberpunk 2077 where AI simulation is a big factor.

On a similar note, the weakness of the current generation of consoles really bit Ubisoft in the rear with their Assassin's Creed Unity game. From what I heard, they started development when solid specifications weren't released for the current generation, and after they were finalized, the higher CPU usage was already part of the game.

Adawy

Sep 9, 2017
The best thing about screenshots is that they don't reveal the ~3 FPS @1440p+ performance. :D

1080p 30 FPS Master Race.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a bit over hyped, but I respect CDPR, so i'll wait and see. Also they're claiming that the game scale is so big, I think a next-gen release would've made more sense.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
While I respect CDPR's dedication to the craft, I've always had a hard time getting into the Witcher games. I completed the first one, which really felt like a poor man's ARPG in a lot of ways but was fun none the less, but they really lost me with W2,where the game looked like it was supposed to be a Capcom like hack n slash with depth but Geralt controlled like he had just gotten done being crucified.

I fired up W3 for an hour or so but just felt lost and uninterested. I know I will come back and beat those games, maybe they handle better with a controller rather than KB+M, but it definitely gives me pause.

I hope Cyberpunk is not only up to the rep the Witcher games developed for story, but shows CDPR can make a fluid and fun game with solid gameplay mechanics to go along with it. A Cyberpunk Skyrim with an actual story, choice and consequence. And techno noir.

Adawy

Sep 9, 2017
Yeah, The Witcher series had good story, but I just couldn't stand how boring the Combat was. I'm a Hack & Slash guy, so Combat is important to me. I've seen the 48 minute video, the Combat had some interesting mechanics. Even though i'm not a FPS fan but I make exceptions from time to time for some games, I can see myself enjoying Cyberpunk if it turns out to be good.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Witcher 3 was one of those games I'd rather play in story mode. The combat was clunky enough not to be a major draw, but I love the story and world (Kingdom come:deliverance was another of these)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
While I respect CDPR's dedication to the craft, I've always had a hard time getting into the Witcher games. I completed the first one, which really felt like a poor man's ARPG in a lot of ways but was fun none the less, but they really lost me with W2,where the game looked like it was supposed to be a Capcom like hack n slash with depth but Geralt controlled like he had just gotten done being crucified.

I fired up W3 for an hour or so but just felt lost and uninterested. I know I will come back and beat those games, maybe they handle better with a controller rather than KB+M, but it definitely gives me pause.

I hope Cyberpunk is not only up to the rep the Witcher games developed for story, but shows CDPR can make a fluid and fun game with solid gameplay mechanics to go along with it. A Cyberpunk Skyrim with an actual story, choice and consequence. And techno noir.

I never could get into the first Witcher...though I think I put maybe 12 hours into it. Eventually I just quit playing. Combat was terrible and I let myself get into "bag efficiency crafting ordering hoarding" phase and I just had to stop.

Witcher 2....very different. I hated it at first, then came back some years later, Started again. I agree with your description though--everything is on rails and your open world truly isn't open. ...the combat isn't great, QTEs, all of that nonsense, but I ended up enjoying it. The story, I mean, I wasn't that into it, a bunch of political bollocks as I call it, but many loved it.

I felt Witcher 3 was a whole different world, though. The combat can get very samey after a while, and it's easy to get into a groove and, even on Nightmare mode !midway through, it can still be rather easy once you get the hang of things...but holy poop what a gorgeous world and story and everything about it. I did 2 full playthroughs--with NG+ and then all the DLC on the second playthrough. I didn't think I would do that but I did.

I did eventually use the Xbox gamepad for Witcher 3, though. I think KB & M is fine (Actually, first playthrough on KB/M, 2nd was with gamepad), but it just plays better with gamepad imo, even though you are stuck with analogue junk for the movement.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I got absolutely rocked by the combat mechanics of Witcher 3 but I can totally see why it was so revered. The whole world just oozed originality, life, and lore. It was really fascinating and the urge to explore was almost hypnotic for me but I never really got very far--which is a shame.

The setting and atmosphere of Cyberpunk for me personally is, admittedly, something I am just very drawn to. The neon future, of games like Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Prey and Alien Isolation just pull me in; are of good contrast to the more dystopian future worlds of say Half-Life 2, Metro or Wolfenstein.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Yeah, The Witcher series had good story, but I just couldn't stand how boring the Combat was.
Go check out W3EE or Ghost Mode mods. Both enhance combat, but W3EE overhauls combat quite a bit more. Ghost Mode is more forgiving and the whole mod and progression is truer to the original game though. I will say regardless of mods there's various tougher mobs out there that still make for boring and frustrating combat w/ their very scripted attack animations and goofy hitboxes.

Adawy

Sep 9, 2017
I just saw both Mods, still not impressed, man. Thank you for suggesting though.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Go check out W3EE or Ghost Mode mods. Both enhance combat, but W3EE overhauls combat quite a bit more. Ghost Mode is more forgiving and the whole mod and progression is truer to the original game though. I will say regardless of mods there's various tougher mobs out there that still make for boring and frustrating combat w/ their very scripted attack animations and goofy hitboxes.

I think its just the wrong type of combat in general. For the 3rd person view you get, I expect it to behave like a fighter like Mortal Kombat, etc. Witcher is actually one of the better ARPGs that use this view, but it falls well short of a real fighter. I much perfer the top down isometric view like diablo for ARPGs. Its really clear what is going on. However I'd much prefer a turn based mode for RPGs in general. It allows for a much more tactical game. Though witcher's skill set and single character combat isn't well suited to that model.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Just a friendly reminder: if you can, please buy this from GoG. No DRM is your friend.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I really dont understand the point in a 1 yr pre order.
I mean do we get betas?
What is the advantage of getting the pre order.

I know cd project isnt EA or Ubisoft, so the game we get will be what is promised, but the length in the preorder is a bit too long.

I will probably end up buying the preorder several weeks to a month before launch, but i dont think i will purchase it right now.

Reactions: Igo69

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Is it bad that I have absolutely no idea what this game is even about, have watched no trailers or screenshots, have no clue if it's FPS or third person action, but I'm still incredibly excited for this game only because it's being made by CDPR? I still stay clear of reviews and trailers just to avoid jumping on the hype train only to be massively let down by the final product, but The Witcher 3 was a masterpiece and I can only expect good things from Cyberpunk.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Is it bad that I have absolutely no idea what this game is even about, have watched no trailers or screenshots, have no clue if it's FPS or third person action, but I'm still incredibly excited for this game only because it's being made by CDPR? I still stay clear of reviews and trailers just to avoid jumping on the hype train only to be massively let down by the final product, but The Witcher 3 was a masterpiece and I can only expect good things from Cyberpunk.

If it's bad? No. But it's surprising. If you did manage to stay away from any meaningful / revealing media, articles and Mr. Joe's general talk YouTube "analysis" we can find left and right about Cyberpunk 2077 at this point; and especially so since last year's 48 minutes-long E3 Demo (video) was revealed around late August (27th I believe it was) then not only are you VERY good at this (self-imposing media blindness / avoidance is pretty tough nowadays) but you should keep it this way in my opinion.

Because since you do plan to get it, and since you know next to nothing about it, then I'm pretty sure that the 'surprise' effect for you will be palpable enough to be comparable to an actual blowjob.

Reactions: Stg-Flame