Cyberpunk 2077

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kurosaki

Feb 7, 2019
huh? Witcher 3 wasn't all that problematic, compared to the standard, when it was released. I was playing it on an aging 280X at the time, and it ran fine at 1080. From release on, I never experienced a single game-breaking bug, crash, or any serious glitch.
You mean like this:
😁

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You mean like this:
😁

yeah so....the standard issues you find in any game. there's nothing in there that can't be found in any other game. Also, a lot of that video is just clips of doing normal silly things, that have nothing to do with bugs or glitches.

kurosaki

Feb 7, 2019
yeah so....the standard issues you find in any game. there's nothing in there that can't be found in any other game. Also, a lot of that video is just clips of doing normal silly things, that have nothing to do with bugs or glitches.
Like hoover horseing? 🙂

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Would a GoG purchase still generate a key that can be used on Steam, or are they now locked to this Galaxy thing?

So GoG can actually sell you the game on their own, with or without Galaxy. There's no reason to try to get a Steam key when you're 100% better off just getting the game on GoG, You can then get the game through Galaxy or download archive files yourself. No DRM, no nothin. And unlike a lot of titles on GoG, you will get top priority for patches.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
The last time i trusted GOG with patches it forced me to re download the entire game, this happened for the first two patches on BG3.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The last time i trusted GOG with patches it forced me to re download the entire game, this happened for the first two patches on BG3.

I've never had that happen before. Usually what happens is the publisher prioritizes patching on Steam and then patches their GoG version a few weeks or months later.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Come on, it's a CDPR game. It will be a buggy mess at launch, performance will suck - but the game will be good. If you want the best experience, just wait and play it in six months or so. Otherwise take the bugs and play at launch :D

Feb 4, 2009
You mean like this:
😁

Yeah that’s just standard game wackiness.
It can be fun and it is also irritating we have come so far regarding games but AI is still stiff and lifeless. Feels like nearly no improvements have been made over 25 years.
Worlds are very rigid and stuff can’t be moved or destroyed, bumping into a guard is like bumping into an immovable statue, rock stacks that don’t move an inch.

Off topic sorry guys.
Enjoy Cyber Punk and post some gameplay images/videos please

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
you'll be waiting a lot longer. the 3.13 league was postponed because of CP2077. it will start in January.
Ya, it's the 15th of Jan. But it only takes me 3 to 4 weeks to hit 34 to 36 challenges in new leagues. So I should be finished and have my end game day on Feb 6th or Feb 13th.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Would a GoG purchase still generate a key that can be used on Steam, or are they now locked to this Galaxy thing?
As far as I know GoG have never given Steam keys. You are maybe thinking about Greenman Gaming?
GoG gives you a DRM free download of the game files. GoG galaxy is just a helper program that can keep track of what games you have and download patches as they become available to GoG. Galaxy is entirely optional, but I find it useful enough that I have switched over to using it for my main game library tool. It can keep track of all my games on GoG, Steam, and Epic, let me download or launch them from those platforms. It basically acts as a meta launcher for all the other games launchers.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
As far as I know GoG have never given Steam keys. You are maybe thinking about Greenman Gaming?
GoG gives you a DRM free download of the game files. GoG galaxy is just a helper program that can keep track of what games you have and download patches as they become available to GoG. Galaxy is entirely optional, but I find it useful enough that I have switched over to using it for my main game library tool. It can keep track of all my games on GoG, Steam, and Epic, let me download or launch them from those platforms. It basically acts as a meta launcher for all the other games launchers.

yep, definitely confusing them for GmG--I've always done that. As such, I checked this morning and they aren't selling Cyberpunk. Oh well. ....and I wish this post occurred before I went ahead and purchased on Steam this morning, lol. I want to go through GoG, but I just didn't want yet another game manager....but as you say it can work like a meta manager, that is exactly what I need. Damn it!

...hmm, you know, I might go for the refund today and see if steam will credit me today, then go back to GoG.

Feb 4, 2009
yep, definitely confusing them for GmG--I've always done that. As such, I checked this morning and they aren't selling Cyberpunk. Oh well. ....and I wish this post occurred before I went ahead and purchased on Steam this morning, lol. I want to go through GoG, but I just didn't want yet another game manager....but as you say it can work like a meta manager, that is exactly what I need. Damn it!

...hmm, you know, I might go for the refund today and see if steam will credit me today, then go back to GoG.

Might be worth it even though I prefer games in steam just so I don’t buy them twice.
GOG is giving away some free stuff with cyber punk 2077.
Admittedly it is digital comic book & wall paper but still a nice thing to include.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Might be worth it even though I prefer games in steam just so I don’t buy them twice.
Admittedly it is digital comic book & wall paper but still a nice thing to include.

steam is giving away "digital stories" as well. I guess it is the same across platforms, just maybe different stories based on where you buy them? Either way, certainly not likely to be something that I will ever touch, heh.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Is there any source for this that they were playing the title streamed? I've already preloaded the game in GoG.

Curious why reviewers would not be able to have a local copy, maybe without the day 1 patch if everyone can preload the title now.

People are also saying the day 1 patch will fix everything but I don't think it will. Despite that I've never had issues with witcher 3.

Source I got it from:

The last two paragraphs, but mostly the Twitter post in between (from the dev, Fabian Mario).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Source I got it from:

The last two paragraphs, but mostly the Twitter post in between (from the dev, Fabian Mario).

that....makes way less sense then, as to why Tom's or whoever else would even do hardware tests. Bugs--fine, but those that were doing performance/hardware tests, what the hell good would that do if you were streaming the game from CDPR servers/hardware? lol

It's bad enough that they released numbers from a known, incomplete, lower-performing version of the game, but to run hardware tests on...not their hardware? I don't buy it. Maybe reviewers in different regions had different types of access to the game?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Source I got it from:

Oh that's nice to hear. Yea I'm not worried about them not fixing the bugs...they will eventually. It's just strange to have a game benched and reviewed like this off of streamed content. Obviously you are dealing with anything can happen between point A and B scenario.

Seems like this is what affected some of the reviewers. As long as the game doesn't crash all the time and remains performant and there aren't game breaking bugs consistently, it should be enjoyable.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Upon re-reading the article I linked to, I may be at fault. Although the wording might be the problem here.

When the developer Fabian Mario refers to "Streaming", it's actually possible that he wasn't referring to a Streamed version of the game from their server in order for reviewers to do their work.

It's instead possible that he was merely referring to the game just 'streaming' data differently based off of which in-game settings you're using. I mean technically, a video game "streaming" data has always been a thing, but the wording today can cause confusion due obviously to the other thing in recent years we've had called Streaming video games (Twitch and so on).

So, either the devs indeed Streamed Cyberpunk from their servers (at least for the PC version, specificially) to the big name reviewers out there and it indeed was the cause of at least some of the reported issues in the reviews... OR... I myself misinterpreted Fabian's Twitter post, when he instead was just talking about how the reviewers' PC couldn't handle in-game settings (I.E. they DID have on-hand, physical copies to review and played on their hardware and nothing was "Streamed" per se from the devs, but the issues they experienced were nonetheless - in part - caused by how the game "Streams" data based off of in-game settings).

It's confusing, it's either one of those two scenarios and I'm starting to think that I was simply wrong in my first glance interpretation of the developer's Twitter post. If so, my bad. But it doesn't change the fact that - and yes it's true - if you have a dozen reviewers out there reviewing the PC version EACH on different hardware setups AND using different in-game settings, coupled with the fact that there's yet no game-optimized NVIDIA / AMD drivers out (or weren't out anyway at the time they reviewed the game) AND, on top of it, add the fact that they played an older build of the game (without that famous Day One patch) and you end up having different reports of different issues (some more than others, some only reporting negligible bugs) all over the place.

All in all, I just think that - overall - the game should simply not have been sent to reviewers that early. Then again, I don't think it was the only mismanaged thing in this entire project either.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Upon re-reading the article I linked to, I may be at fault. Although the wording might be the problem here.

When the developer Fabian Mario refers to "Streaming", it's actually possible that he wasn't referring to a Streamed version of the game from their server in order for reviewers to do their work.

It's instead possible that he was merely referring to the game just 'streaming' data differently based off of which in-game settings you're using. I mean technically, a video game "streaming" data has always been a thing, but the wording today can cause confusion due obviously to the other thing in recent years we've had called Streaming video games (Twitch and so on).

So, either the devs indeed Streamed Cyberpunk from their servers (at least for the PC version, specificially) to the big name reviewers out there and it indeed was the cause of at least some of the reported issues in the reviews... OR... I myself misinterpreted Fabian's Twitter post, when he instead was just talking about how the reviewers' PC couldn't handle in-game settings (I.E. they DID have on-hand, physical copies to review and played on their hardware and nothing was "Streamed" per se from the devs, but the issues they experienced were nonetheless - in part - caused by how the game "Streams" data based off of in-game settings).

It's confusing, it's either one of those two scenarios and I'm starting to think that I was simply wrong in my first glance interpretation of the developer's Twitter post. If so, my bad. But it doesn't change the fact that - and yes it's true - if you have a dozen reviewers out there reviewing the PC version EACH on different hardware setups AND using different in-game settings, coupled with the fact that there's yet no game-optimized NVIDIA / AMD drivers out (or weren't out anyway at the time they reviewed the game) AND, on top of it, add the fact that they played an older build of the game (without that famous Day One patch) and you end up having different reports of different issues (some more than others, some only reporting negligible bugs) all over the place.

All in all, I just think that - overall - the game should simply not have been sent to reviewers that early. Then again, I don't think it was the only mismanaged thing in this entire project either.

I believe ACG covered some of this. I'm on a work call so can't scrub for where he mentions it, but still a good take.

simas

Oct 16, 2005

All comes to preference. I try to buy from GoG whenever I can and use steam for the rest.

GoG advantages
- I want competition in this space vs Steam or Microsoft Store monopolies
- I play single player games and dont care about social/friend lists online gaming
- i want CD Project Red to survive and buying on their store saves them the 30% cut Steam takes of any product sold on their platform (what? Steam isnt free for developers?? ;) )

overall I understand this is a buggy game for a while , however I also seen it in Witcher series and seen what they could do as developer.

I also really want such games (large single player RPGs) to succeed and right now a lot of studios/developers/publishes are going to be watching how CB2077 would do. Should it fail commercially, it is a lot less likely similar large bets on such games would be made (if they could not do it with all of the funding, their name, reputation, why should we fund your project?) and we would be stuck with the BS of game-as-a-service 'free to play' microtransaction trash..

Reactions: CP5670

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Sounds like there are definitely some things that need to be addressed... as is par for the course with nearly any big launch title these days.

Willing to rough it for now, though.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Saw enough reviews that it's downloading now via GOG. Never got into big open world RPG's and haven't played a PC game in a couple years but here we go. I do love sci-fi settings and it's gonna be a long December with Covid and being cold out, so why not?

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Sounds like there are definitely some things that need to be addressed... as is par for the course with nearly any big launch title these days.

At this point, I think we just have to add 3-6 months to any availability date a developer gives to allow time for patches. Assuming 2077 gets fixed up, I will buy it on GOG but they have to fix it first.

Just an FYI…

-KeithP

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

there's a pandemic going on. I think we're all good here, and folks should just kinda chill for a bit if things don't work out perfectly all the time, you know. :D

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Well so... out of curiosity, anyone picked their 'Path' and character style ahead of time? Already planned in your mind? Or you'll just improvise on the spot from Character Creation?

In my case, I decided to go with Street Kid for my first playthrough, and then focusing on Hacking / Cyberware as my overall playstyle (and probably focusing on light firearms for gunfights whenever necessary, nothing too heavy with weaponry, maybe even some melee instead of firearms but that remains to be determined as I play). I'm not sure about Male or Female yet, and I'm not sure about my V's "personality" if it's actually possible to sort of 'build' a personality over time (which was a thing that was possible and sort of surprised me back in Dragon Age 2, as much as it's easy to bash that game; it did some things right for Hawk and personality based off of dialogue choices). For this playthrough I'll try to give my character a sort of 'agenda' (if feasible by in-game choices), but that part remains to be explored to see if it's possible to achieve.

My second playthrough (if I decide to do one) will probably be Nomad for a change of pace, being out of Night City at the start, and making my way in. For that one I'll probably aim for heavy weaponry (at least ultimately after a good amount of progression is made) and brute force in most situations (most likely a Male for that one). For that one I'll try to go 'neutral', as pure of a Mercenary as I can be. I'll test how it goes if I play the "I just want the highest pay offers" character, regardless of consequences. I won't "help innocents" just because, and I won't "follow the madmen" just because. Trying to do things 'my way' and see how it turns out.

Then finally, Corpo. For that one I'll actually try out and test how far we can go as a "villain" / "violent" character in the game. Is being "evil" going to be a lot more limited than I thought it'd be? Or will it be surprisingly 'accurate' and feasible for what I plan to do? In games like Oblivion and Skyrim it was a laughable goal with overall game systems that just didn't truly 'support' going full fledged villain (beyond just merely the total kill count in a mindless way, without much of an agenda that can be truly realized at any point).

On the other hand, I discussed this with a friend recently, and he has zero idea what he plans to do for his first playthrough. He'll improvise.

How about you guys.