Cyberpunk 2077 finally revealed

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Yes, but there is nothing worse than aiming dead-on at something and watching hit!-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-hit!-miss-miss-miss, especially in the very early game.

In first person it is infuriating, but in 3rd person it is much less annoying because you don't feel that it should be based on your ability to point at a target.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That will probably be available to toggle off or on for the stats when you hit a target. It reminds me of destiny when I saw the hit numbers show up above characters.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Let me just note that I too would have greatly preferred this game was third person, even if it was still completely twitch based. I just prefer my RPGs that way and like to see my character in the environment. It also makes for better melee combat.

Yes, but there is nothing worse than aiming dead-on at something and watching hit!-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-hit!-miss-miss-miss, especially in the very early game.
Yeah, this is largely why I couldn't stand Stalker (and similarly, Dead Island, or Dying Light). It wasn't quite what you described, but your character stats artificially inflated weapons' aim cone and impacted damage to the point where at low levels everything was a bullet sponge and it might as well have been arbitrary misses. It's just way too frustrating to disconnect player input like that. I guess Deus Ex also did this to some extent, but it wasn't nearly as maddening.

In first person it is infuriating, but in 3rd person it is much less annoying because you don't feel that it should be based on your ability to point at a target.
1st/3rd really doesn't matter when it's all twitch combat. You aren't aiming in isometric RPGs, you're telling your PC to "shoot that" so there's no disconnect.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Yeah, using all of my arrows on a single Cliffracer sure was fun. LETS DO IT AGAIN FOR SOME REASON.

Yeah, this is largely why I couldn't stand Stalker (and similarly, Dead Island, or Dying Light). It wasn't quite what you described, but your character stats artificially inflated weapons' aim cone and impacted damage to the point where at low levels everything was a bullet sponge and it might as well have been arbitrary misses.
I don't think we played the same S.T.A.L.K.E.R or Dead Island or Dying Light games. With the Stalker series, if you shot anyone in the head with a gun (excluding mutants) they died instantly. Mods helped this by adding helmet armor to absorb damage but the point still stands. With the two zombie games, it was the same thing with a gun. Headshots = instant death unless you were facing a mini boss (DI) or running around at night (DL).

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
OT, while I suppose that technically, an isometric view is third person, let's not muddy the waters any further.

Fallout 1 &2 areisometric crpgs, not tpp games. I just don't get the complaints outside of nausea, but that's me. It seems a silly thing to get SO embroiled about, and just now, just for this game, all of a sudden.

I don't remember NEARLY as many complaints with RE7. Not a single time have I ever played a game and thought to myself "this would be so much better in a different perspective." Why would/should I start thinking that now? And like I said earlier, rarely does a game that offers a choice do both well. I can't think of a single good example where it was done well. (ES and newer FOs are absolute trash in TPP, IMO)

Sometimes I think I'm not critical enough, but then I look at my post history and remember that's not the case. I really just think too many people just want to be mad at something. CDPR has earned my trust, and will get my money when I have a rig that can handle the game.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I was hoping this game would basically be The Witcher, but in the future. And sadly, it is not that. Its more of a GTA style game. So I have pretty much lost all interest in it. I have no doubt that it will be an amazing game, because CDPR has very high standards for themselves. I just don't think its a game I will be buying.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
I was hoping this game would basically be The Witcher, but in the future. And sadly, it is not that. Its more of a GTA style game. So I have pretty much lost all interest in it. I have no doubt that it will be an amazing game, because CDPR has very high standards for themselves. I just don't think its a game I will be buying.

So you want Future Art, reskinned Witcher, rather than a really new game?

I can't even play FPS games without getting nauseous, and I still think what they did here fits better with the theme, than trying to do Witcher 3 mechanics with Future Art/Skins.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Thats like saying the Witcher is kind of like GTA but with horses. They are two different games but if you liked Witcher 3 I'm sure you will like this game. As long as they kept the side quests interesting and the gameplay adaptive, it should be good. Although not sure about the gameplay as it will vary based on what you want to do. The Witcher combat was nice and pretty basic.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I don't see how the Witcher's combat system would work in a modern/futuristic setting with electronics, guns, targeting specific systems, etc.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
The basic mechanics could with some tweaking but let's be real... it would be really dumb. Game deserves a whole different system that's polished and dialed in to match the genre and environment.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
The basic mechanics could with some tweaking but let's be real... it would be really dumb. Game deserves a whole different system that's polished and dialed in to match the genre and environment.
Agreed. I'd like to see skills progress gun play in a way such as improving aim, managing recoil better, holstering/drawing faster, etc. Then it still draws from RPG roots and is not 100% twitch skill dependent.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Which is why this is a complete different game in a totally different time setting. It makes sense for what it's portraying.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Agreed. I'd like to see skills progress gun play in a way such as improving aim, managing recoil better, holstering/drawing faster, etc. Then it still draws from RPG roots and is not 100% twitch skill dependent.
Not aim. That's where things get frustrating. But skills which improve recoil, draw speed, ADS speed, weapon sway, reload speed, movement speed while ADS, accuracy while moving, etc. all make perfect sense.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It's good for a developer to try new things, so long as it's not overly ambitious or too risky. look at Guerilla and Killzone vs. Horizon Zero Dawn. Nobody expected that they could pull off an open world game at the scale that they did (especially after seeing how rushed and recycled Killzone Shadow Fall felt) but because their company has some of the best talent in the industry they managed to create something both extremely impressive and very different from Killzone.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yep. like Borderlands

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Not aim. That's where things get frustrating. But skills which improve recoil, draw speed, ADS speed, weapon sway, reload speed, movement speed while ADS, accuracy while moving, etc. all make perfect sense.
By aim I did mean stuff like weapon sway, increased sniper aim timing. You described it better. Definitely not actual aiming, although I'm fine with an option in difficulty settings to add some auto aim for those who want to enjoy the game but aren't great with FPS games.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't see how the Witcher's combat system would work in a modern/futuristic setting with electronics, guns, targeting specific systems, etc.

target lock, pretty simple.

Plenty of action games weave guns/ranged in with mele with 3rd person mechanics, and they work fine. It essentially removes the aim skills of the l33t FPS-type players and immersion, in favor of character-based skill builds. That doesn't mean you can't have nice character builds with FPS (Borderlands), it's just a different thing I guess.

I just find FPS claustrophobic and with games like this, getting surrounded annoys me. I'd rather deal with a field of targets that I can see from a wider perspective, and a system of skills and action where I can flip back and forth from target to target without having to move a screen around. But, that doesn't mean it doesn't work in this game. Like I said, I'll still play the hell out of it and I doubt that this is something that will kill the experience for me.

Like I've said before: I think FPS is a pox on the world of games, but Borderlands is also one of my favorite game series ever, so take whatever you will from my claims. :D

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
The game looks amazing but if I am stuck in the same city for the whole game long, it may get a bit tedious. I will definitely miss islands like Skellige and the Mountains of Kaer Morhan.
I hope they add a cool card game too.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So, what's with the censor blur in character creation shown in this public demo? Is that just their way of not doing the stupid underwear thing, or is the actual game going balls-out and lets us modify dick, tits, and vag? :hmm:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I think WM censored it for YouTube and not the dev. There was full nudity in the Witcher, no?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think WM censored it for YouTube and not the dev. There was full nudity in the Witcher, no?

No dongs as far as I recall, but there also wasn't character creation. It just looked odd seeing that in a character-creation menu. :D

The only time I've seen that sort of thing is with a modified Bethesda game.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm gonna guess it was done for YouTube.

Cool, so we get adult character-creation options...I wonder if modifying those attributes factors into your "cool" points.

Joking aside, I would assume that you don't actually modify any of those naughty bits...they are just there.