Cyberpunk 2077 delayed again until November 19

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Good.

I don't always agree with the design decisions made by CDPR, but at least I know I'm disagreeing with a decision made with some intelligence behind it and executed about as well as can reasonably be expected.

I'm making my way through The Witcher 2 right now after numerous failed starts and the amount of support and consideration of feedback that went into the game post launch is palpable. I still don't like every element of it for various preferential reasons, but the elements all fit together into a cohesive whole and make sense together.

Who knows if CyberPunk will actually be a good or enjoyable game on launch, but I'm certain we will get a reasonably polished product with plenty of substance for our money.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
No regrets about it as long as they deliver an excellent game and i am sure it will be the greatest game

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
This is reaching farce status.

"Ready when it's done" is not just a phrase we say because it sounds right, it's something we live by [...] "

That is some massive PR bullshit and an outright lie.

If it was true from the start one of their own guys (Senior Level Designer, Miles Tost I believe is the name) who was interviewed back at E3 2019 wouldn't have given a date to start with, oh you know because "Ready when it's done" is something they live by at the company?

Believe me, I still remember (starts at about 2:29):

"Well a bit of a weird question... if we were not confident we wouldn't have announced a release date".

Oh really? Mr. Tost? That was indeed such a weird question to ask, thanks for your very confident answer though!

"Cyberpunk 2077 is finished both content and gameplay-wise."

This is what they've been saying since E3 2018. I'm not inventing this. Back 2 years ago, it was apparently "finished" from start to end.

Then, "Ooops, sorry but it's gonna be 5 months later in September".

Ok...

Now, "Aww damn, sorry but it's gonna be November".

Ok we get it. The game isn't ready. You are going to tell me that you're taking two years to polish your game? I tell you what, then: when, or rather at this point - IF - this game ever comes out, it better blow my brains out into orbit and then some; or I'll have the best laugh of my entire life. This is ridiculous beyond belief, especially because it's coming from CDPR. And here I thought 15+ years ago that the typical Blizzard Entertainment "Ready when it's done" approach with release dates was ridiculous. But in retrospect I truly miss it. With Cyberpunk 2077 the first mistake WAS to announce their first release date in the first place. If you really "live by" the 'Ready When It's Done' mentality at your company then how about you follow the ideology and not just pretend you do.

• Haha
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
Their new release date is suspiciously close to the leaked PS5 scheduled launch date. I think it makes sense to capitalize on launching with the next generation consoles.

This is what the third delay?

Second delay, but third release date which is probably what you're thinking. I don't think its got anything to do with the PS5 launch though, the last day came 91 days before launch and this one again came 91 days before launch. The game probably failed some internal test they do 3 months prior to launch. Honestly its not super surprising given that everyone is working from home, that was bound to have some effect.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Ok we get it. The game isn't ready. You are going to tell me that you're taking two years to polish your game? I tell you what, then: when, or rather at this point - IF - this game ever comes out, it better blow my brains out into orbit and then some; or I'll have the best laugh of my entire life. This is ridiculous beyond belief, especially because it's coming from CDPR. And here I thought 15+ years ago that the typical Blizzard Entertainment "Ready when it's done" approach with release dates was ridiculous. But in retrospect I truly miss it. With Cyberpunk 2077 the first mistake WAS to announce their first release date in the first place. If you really "live by" the 'Ready When It's Done' mentality at your company then how about you follow the ideology and not just pretend you do.

- I don't really have a dog in this fight so while I do hope that Cyberpunk is all that its hyped up to be, I will say that if it releases as a heaping pile of turd the schadenfreude alone from watching the fanbase's opinion turn against them would provide a clean and renewable source of energy that could power the world for the next 100 years.

In fact, if the game absolutely bombs, it might be a cheap and easy way to get in on 2080Ti levels of performance as all those custom cards hit ebay for below market prices...

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
At this point its best hope is only slight disappointment. As with all over-hyped games, it cannot and will not deliver everything to everyone, nor could it compete with the version people have been playing in their head for a number of years.

I've no doubt it will be exhilarating for a few hours, but then the inevitable static nature of games will begin to bleed through. It's unavoidable - no game can be truly dynamic - things will repeat, especially in an open-world. I know that's obvious, but there really are people who have bought all in on the devs' hype and actually believe it will be a "living world" with a unique experience for every player every time.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't expect I'll play it, probably will just watch a Playthru, but it's very likely I'll stop even that at some point. That depends though, if it's Open World like GTA and has a lot of Content outside a Main Story maybe it will be interesting. The type of World is my biggest hangup, it just doesn't interest me. All that said, it looks like it will be Technically very impressive and be a sign of things to come, Game wise.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Their new release date is suspiciously close to the leaked PS5 scheduled launch date. I think it makes sense to capitalize on launching with the next generation consoles.

This is what the third delay?

Its probably this so it doesn't gimp console sales.
Its okey to sell a game on console before PC, but not the other way around, because PC is the master race and end of it all.

Reactions: zinfamous

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
At this point its best hope is only slight disappointment. As with all over-hyped games, it cannot and will not deliver everything to everyone, nor could it compete with the version people have been playing in their head for a number of years.

I've no doubt it will be exhilarating for a few hours, but then the inevitable static nature of games will begin to bleed through. It's unavoidable - no game can be truly dynamic - things will repeat, especially in an open-world. I know that's obvious, but there really are people who have bought all in on the devs' hype and actually believe it will be a "living world" with a unique experience for every player every time.

I've ignored the hype. I'm looking for something different in a video game. The "next step" in AI behavior within a game. Not the "final step".

I doubt I'll be disappointed.

It's a matter of perspective. A crappy video game (I've played several) is still way better than the Zoom calls full of boring that consume my daily work life!

• Haha

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Sounds like a good place to set expectations.

"Open world extra gritty Deus ex".

Place your bets.

it actually has real gunplay and not-wonky combat mechanics, if the clips from last year are of any indication. DX games are pretty clunky--like you're walking and jumping in a box all the time, and when you shoot, you're shooting non-responsive beebees or some crap.

Oh and yeah, let me know when 90% of your time is spent tidying up the drunks of the world's eastern block apartments to find some spare software. Then it would be fair to compare it to DX. :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Its probably this so it doesn't gimp console sales.
Its okey to sell a game on console before PC, but not the other way around, because PC is the master race and end of it all.

the other thing...and I'm pretty sure we already know this is not the case, but is it next gen console only? What if this delay is to make that happen? That would be worth it, imo. Don't want to suffer being tied to 6? year-old hardware for this sort of release.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
the other thing...and I'm pretty sure we already know this is not the case, but is it next gen console only? What if this delay is to make that happen? That would be worth it, imo. Don't want to suffer being tied to 6? year-old hardware for this sort of release.

- No, it'll launch on the One and PS4 and PC. The delay is likely to ride off the wave of new console launches. CDPR states that the game would be day 0 backward compatible on the next gen consoles. Given that it is not a 1st party title, there is likely a little cleaning up and play testing to do.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
There is a new trailer

Supposedly all the gameplay is from the prologue only.

Looks nice, the badlands area makes me think of GTA. There are a bunch of gameplay previews on youtube, they had some event in the past couple of days. Generally extremely positive.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
There is a new trailer

Supposedly all the gameplay is from the prologue only.

Looks nice, the badlands area makes me think of GTA. There are a bunch of gameplay previews on youtube, they had some event in the past couple of days. Generally extremely positive.

The more I see of this game, the less hype I have (which may not be a bad thing). I thought it was going to be more Mass Effect (space RPG). But it seems like it's going to be more GTA in the future.

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
I'm honestly pretty surprised by that. Where did you get the impression it would be like Mass Effect? No squad, no classes, open world vs maps, etc.

The impression I got was they were going for a Deus Ex/GTA mash up.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm honestly pretty surprised by that. Where did you get the impression it would be like Mass Effect? No squad, no classes, open world vs maps, etc.

The impression I got was they were going for a Deus Ex/GTA mash up.

This, though I was more thinking Futuristic Witcher style with factions. Doesn't look like much of a squad game to me. Your character does have classes, but it looks like one of those "open, play-how-you-want!" things that inevitably means it doesn't work that well in reality and everyone goes back to min-maxing on one class like they always do. :D

The classes sound like heavy Shadowrun influence to me, but more actiony of course.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
The classes sound like heavy Shadowrun influence to me, but more actiony of course.

It is based on the Cyberpunk pen and paper game which was released 1 year before Shadowrun. Pretty much the same thing without the magic and metahuman races.

I would love a Shadowrun game, I was time into it in college, we would alternate D&D and Shadowrun campaigns every weekend. I believe MS owns the video game rights.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
It is based on the Cyberpunk pen and paper game which was released 1 year before Shadowrun. Pretty much the same thing without the magic and metahuman races.

I would love a Shadowrun game, I was time into it in college, we would alternate D&D and Shadowrun campaigns every weekend. I believe MS owns the video game rights.

- Some shadowrun games were released recently as isometric turnbased RPGs as part of a Kickstarter. Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall, Hong Kong.

I've played a little bit of them and they're quite good, as are reviews.