Cyberczar Guiliani web site broke as a joke

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/13/giuliani-website-is-vulnerable.html

The person or people who set up Giulianisecurity.com — which as of Friday afternoon is offline — made no effort to fortify the site from hackers and had not updated the software since it was downloaded in 2012, said Dan Tenter founder of security company Phobos Group. (This problem was first reported by Gizmodo.)

While on a plane from his mobile device, Tenter was able to pull up a browser and quickly see "read me" files that even the most basic web administrator would remove from view to make it harder for an attacker to compromise a website, he said.

"This is really, really, really basic — it barely even qualifies as security," he said. "Those files give you all the information you need to do nefarious things."

With such lax security, someone could easily compromise the site and set up a backdoor to infect visitors, or use this vulnerability to get access to Giuliani himself or his clients, said Tenter. (Giuliani Security could not immediately be reached for comment.)

"This is horrifying," he said. "This organization that bills itself as a security company has taken zero time to harden its own website."

Others agreed. "The list of vulnerabilities associated with Mr. Giuliani's website shows that he's got a bit of an uphill battle when it comes to convincing this community that he's the real deal," wrote Eric O'Neill, national security strategist for Carbon Black.

As the news spread following the announcement of Giuliani's new role on Thursday, #cybergrandpa trended on Twitter and software experts piled on the criticism of the website and Giuliani's cybersecurity credentials.

Twitter commentary on #cybergrandpa pretty much sums up competence of Trump admin:

C2AsSmhWgAAHWpb.jpg

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Lol!...When Giuliani sets up a server, no one gets in. bet his password is "9-11"

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Guys chill out Baron is doing his best and he is the best at the cyber. It will be figured out in no time.

The good news is Trump is going to form a group and give them 90 days to fix the cyber for good. Thank god because no one has ever thought of that before.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
let the butthurt continue to flow. Gulianni is passionate about the dangers of not being secure in the digital world.... but he is not a computer scientist. He is though guilty of hiring nincompoops.

Yeh sure it is fun to pick on conservatives... which I can give zero fucks about... but lets be realistic. How much damage has China done these last 8 years? Care to calculate the loss of IP? Hundreds of billions of dollars in R&D alone from the Chinese hack on Lockheed Martin (after hacking RSA).

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
That's pretty damned stupid. I can understand when you see something like this with some small outfit that doesn't know anything about technology , security etc, but you'd think in this day and age they'd take at least the basic steps to secure a webserver.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Interesting how that it isn't actually under THIS administration that we began using the term "czar" for white house appointments.

Makes you wonder just how deep Russian psy-ops has already gone on our minds in this country.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Sad.
Interesting how that it isn't actually under THIS administration that we began using the term "czar" for white house appointments.

Makes you wonder just how deep Russian psy-ops has already gone on our minds in this country.
This has what to do with anything? o_O

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Remember, this is the mayor who built the emergency command center across the street from the city's largest terrorist target which had already been previously attacked.
No need to worry, he'll have to report to Baron, #1 Cyber expert !

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
not really, the term czar has been used in the US for quite some time. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czar_(political_term)

Scary. We have more Czars than Russia had. Ripe minds I suppose.

Any Russian psy-ops person reading that would be giggling hysterically at the incredible density you just displayed.

We already know they are watching us, and this forum.

Getting back on topic. This is not really excusable. His own website is part of his portfolio, is it not?

I do not like the #cybergrandpa - there is no need for ageism in this country, kind of disgusting actually.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Scary. We have more Czars than Russia had. Ripe minds I suppose.

We already know they are watching us, and this forum.

Getting back on topic. This is not really excusable. His own website is part of his portfolio, is it not?

I do not like the #cybergrandpa - there is no need for ageism in this country, kind of disgusting actually.

Derails thread then suggests getting back on top when stupidity pointed out.

Reactions: ivwshane

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Derails thread then suggests getting back on top when stupidity pointed out.

The fact that Russian lingo is so prevalent in our government, and that psy and cyber warfare is being waged on America by Russia is NOT stupid. I just realized that this isn't the right thread to be discussing that.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
let the butthurt continue to flow. Gulianni is passionate about the dangers of not being secure in the digital world.... but he is not a computer scientist. He is though guilty of hiring nincompoops.

Yeh sure it is fun to pick on conservatives... which I can give zero fucks about... but lets be realistic. How much damage has China done these last 8 years? Care to calculate the loss of IP? Hundreds of billions of dollars in R&D alone from the Chinese hack on Lockheed Martin (after hacking RSA).

If you are guilty of consistently hiring nincompoops, that makes you one too.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
let the butthurt continue to flow. Giuliani is passionate about the dangers of not being secure in the digital world.... but he is not a computer scientist. He is though guilty of hiring nincompoops.

Yeah it's not an ideological thing, it's the fact that Trump rewards loyalty over competence, and Giuliani may be talented in some areas of security, but he has no business in a cybersecurity role unless he's been asked to serve as nothing more than a well-known figurehead and is delegating the managerial and planning aspects of cyber to a lieutenant.

And the Chinese IP theft is absolutely a huge deal, though to be fair it has apparently been successfully dealt with in the past year or so.

If you were "passionate" about security in the digital world, don't you think you'd learn something about it?

Yeah, if your job is security and you only know one component really well (physical security in Giuliani's case, I suppose), wouldn't it be important to attempt to learn something about cyber security. In any case, just reading the front page summary from his screengrab tells me they really don't specialize in the cyber side, so I can cut him some slack on that front....except of course he took the role of cyberczar, and so this is embarrassing. I can only hope someone very smart is advising him, cyber security especially on the IP front is quite important.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The fact that Russian lingo is so prevalent in our government, and that psy and cyber warfare is being waged on America by Russia is NOT stupid. I just realized that this isn't the right thread to be discussing that.

Double down!

Feb 4, 2009

Will Giuliani be passionately fixing our "Cyber" problems or will he be hiring people to fix our problems?
Realistically Giuliani's website is something his agent or promoter handles, yes Rudder voted for a guy who has an agent and he's putting people in office who have Hollywood agents.
While the story is funny. I predict security will still be gravely over looked and Russia will not have a serious consequences for screwing around, which they'll accept as a reward and just start doing it more.
I agree with you on China, I will say I heard on the news that about 2(?) years ago Obama's guy had a talk with China and they agreed to some basic rules like
Don't mess with the power grid
Don't mess with banks or stock trading stuff
Don't mess with Hospitals or medical records
Plus a couple of other things that each Country said it won't do going forward.

While its not an ideal agreement it does lay some codes of conduct. Russia apparently gives zero fucks.

Last edited:

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
How does he get picked to be czar of cyber security? This is a critical part of national defense, much more so imo than another carrier or anything like that. Someone competent needs to be there.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Conservatives gave Hillary hell over her email server and security, but somehow I don't see them making too big a fuss about this.