EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Story: my girl's 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited has (what sounds like) gear or differential noise that increases as the vehicle speeds up. The noise used to be quieter but has just recently gotten somewhat louder. The transmission should be covered until 100k miles but I'm not convinced it's the actual CVT. There's no indication of trouble on the dash/instrument panel and the car still shifts fine but it has me slightly worried; the odo is just under 95k. I'm thinking of just having it checked by Subaru service since it's still under the extended warranty with not much further to go but I suppose that it could simply be a wheel bearing--though it doesn't really sound like that. It's more of a whining or high humming than a grinding that gets louder with speed (noise is somewhat muted during coasting).

Was just wondering if someone on here has encountered a similar issue. I don't buy or drive automatics, let alone linear-tronics, so I don't really know how to diagnose it. I'm pretty confident that I'd be able to change differential fluid or change out CV shafts but anything beyond that I'm not equipped to deal with. I'll probably just end up having it looked at but figured I'd check the fellow wrench-hands first.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Could be gear noise. I needed to have the center diff bearings in my car replaced. Symptom was a whine that was noticeable mainly at freeway speeds. My car is not quiet either!

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
We're taking it to Subaru on Saturday because it's become significantly more noticeable at 50+ mph. That does sort of make it seem like it may be a bearing I just hope the transmission isn't going out. Subaru should cover the CVT regardless of ownership but I'm sure she'd lose the car for another week or two. Will post back with the results as they may be of assistance to others.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Alright, not much of an update but it turns out that the transmission is on its way out; technicians found metal shavings in the CVT case. She'll be getting a new one at no cost since it's under warranty but I'm starting to feel bad at this point lol

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Alright, not much of an update but it turns out that the transmission is on its way out; technicians found metal shavings in the CVT case. She'll be getting a new one at no cost since it's under warranty but I'm starting to feel bad at this point lol
Don't feel bad, it is almost standard procedure with Subaru CVTs - they replace whole thing before it goes out with a remanufactured unit. And your old unit becomes remanufactured unit.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
She should be getting the car back this week; I don't think there was anything else wrong with it. They told her one of the front ball joints needed to be replaced but quoted her $245.00 so replace it--which is absurd to me. That's a $30 part and the labor is just slightly more difficult than removing a wheel, so I told her I'd do both this weekend. Yeah, I realize technicians need to make money but that's why we have Range Rover and Mercedes Benz to work for.

A pair of Moog ball joints is $55 shipped