CVS - 7" Netbook, $100, starting Sept. 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Windows CE is really the killer (seems to be compatible with cabs for Windows Mobile 2003). FI, IE is too slow, others are old, and Opera Mini, which performs fine, has an interface for a smart phone with a very small display. Other useful software is hard to find, and much of it seems to be for older versions, with no clear differentiation for compatibility purposes, until trying to install or run it.

Something like Puppy (but ARM), Tinycore (but ARM), Android, Meego, etc., could make it quite a value, but the hardware support seems to be a barrier. A Debian derivative might do, as well, but it appears the hardware is just now being tinkered with enough to make that a future possibility.

Meh. There's potential, but it's only half-way there, and nowhere near 1/3 as useful as a netbook.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Can you actually pop ubuntu onto this thing? If so, its not that bad if you got money to throw away.

Last edited:

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
dual core intel atom will be out soon. expect lots of discounting on existing net books.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Ubuntu+Google Chrome will probably be the best setup for web browsing. Ubuntu flash though is very youtube unfriendly on low end systems though.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Can you actually pop ubuntu onto this thing? If so, its not that bad if you got money to throw away.
No. AFAICT There is currently one guy with a Debian port that works, thanks to a similar device running a Linux (Android?), and VIA nudging them to GPL compliance.

KPACOTKA

Oct 19, 2006
They should put Linux on it. My home computer has just 512MB RAM, 1Ghz Celeron, and 200Gb hard drive. Works perfectly for everything I can imagine. It has slightly better monitor, 24" flat screen. Certainly perfect for youtube. My work laptop has policy no Flash, so the home computer is only way to watch movies. So the netbook seems twice more powerful.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Saw this at my local CVS, almost picked it up. No real use for it though, haha.

But it's amazing what you can get for $99 these days...sheesh...

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
They should put Linux on it. My home computer has just 512MB RAM, 1Ghz Celeron, and 200Gb hard drive. Works perfectly for everything I can imagine. It has slightly better monitor, 24" flat screen. Certainly perfect for youtube. My work laptop has policy no Flash, so the home computer is only way to watch movies. So the netbook seems twice more powerful.
Shens