cutting granite

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
I want to replace my existing cooktop, which i removed, and am left with a 19-7/8 x 34-3/4 opening. The new cooktop that i want to purchase requires a 20-7/8 x 35-7/16 cutout.

The material that needs to be cut is granite, that is roughly 1-1/4 thick. Could this existing cutout be enlarged with a regular 120vac circular saw and diamond blade? I would like to cut this without having to spray water on the blade as i dont want to create a wet mess and just dont like spraying water while holding an electric saw. Can this be cut dry? I know that dry cutting would create a lot of dust, be I'd feel more comfortable using a shop vac as a dust collector during the cutting process.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i would use an angle grinder with a diamond blade and a household spray bottle with water. you do not need to flood the area, just enough mist to keep the blade cool and the dust down. have a helper hold the shop vac hose and mist the blade/area with water. make a few cuts 90 degrees to the long cut to break up the section into smaller chunks.