Question Customizable RGB 'Gaming' UPSes? Is this what we've come to? (For an additional $100)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

This really kind of irks me. Add RGB, bump the price from $179 to $279??? Really now APC?

Is this 'Gaming UPS' going to have greater reliability than the "Standard" consumer Pure Sine APC UPS units, for the higher price?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

This really kind of irks me. Add RGB, bump the price from $179 to $279??? Really now APC?

Is this 'Gaming UPS' going to have greater reliability than the "Standard" consumer Pure Sine APC UPS units, for the higher price?

It looks like you're only paying a $50 price increase from a comparable APC BackUPS Pro. While not terrible, it does seem kinda salty considering that adding the extra RGB lighting probably only cost them an extra $5 at the factory.

What I don't understand is why these things still use lead-acid batteries. They could be much smaller and lighter if they switched to Lithium-Ion battery packs.

Last edited:

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
It looks like you're only paying a $50 price increase from a comparable APC BackUPS Pro. While not terrible, it does seem kinda salty considering that adding the extra RGB lighting probably only cost them an extra $5 at the factory.

What I don't understand is why these things still use lead-acid batteries. They could be much smaller and lighter if they switched to Lithium-Ion battery packs.
There are Lithium UPS. The question is how much you're willing to pay. If you have the money

More affordable from APC.

and Vertiv.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
There are Lithium UPS. The question is how much you're willing to pay. If you have the money

More affordable from APC.

and Vertiv.

I know that they exist, but the price difference is ridiculous. They really shouldn't cost 3 times as much as their Lead/Acid counterparts!