FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Hay guise. I want to buy specs online for the first time. I realize functional sturdy specs are cheap to make, so I have no desire to spend much. I'm trying to avoid outright crap, yet keep it eminently cheap. Like $30-$58 cheap. I realize that may involve ordering directly from China. *ugh* Once it hits $80-90 per pair, I tend to lose interest in ordering online ... so ... maybe not Warby Parker?

I should be set. I have my eye/head measurements on hand. Frankly, my head requires long sidepieces, and specifying 147mm sidepieces whittles my choices down to 2-4 options per site - out of all the men's models available. True story. But the need is great, so I'm ... feeling lucky. So far I've checked Zenni Optical, Coastal, and Eyebuydirect sites. I've searched some old threads here too - may be outdated info.

Just looking for "reputable" sources and reasons to go with (or steer clear of) said source. Anyone order specs online before? Were you content, or disappoint?

Feb 25, 2011
39dollarglasses.com?

My housemate tried ordering from them. The frames were a bit on the cheap side, but they were what she ordered and their customer service was good.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
I ended up just finding frames I liked online, then getting the lenses from Costco. Its not the cheapest, but I am happier with the quality over my Zenni and frames I bought from 39 glasses. I had the Vancouver from them. I now have Persol and Costco lenses.

6485870_a2.jpg

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
We've used Eyebuydirect several times with good results. My wife also orders occasionally from Zenni. I can't speak for other online places but I do like that you can upload a picture of yourself on EBD to give you an idea about what the frames would look like. Pretty happy with the quality and price. My wife usually finds sales on them ($x off $y or something) so I think my wife gets her glasses for around $20-25 although mine are normally $10 more expensive because of the type of lenses I have (I guess)

Reactions: FeuerFrei

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Make sure you get frames that actually fit you properly, and once you get them, make sure you get them adjusted to fit your face. You'd be amazed at how many people wear glasses that don't fit them properly, constantly adjusting their glasses, thinking that's normal.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
my current coastals are about a year and a half old and cost ~$80, no real complaints.

But the need is great,
the quality on mine are great (the brand was primeflex?) and the coatings seem pretty durable ( i think they're the top kodak brand coatings )
i think the shipping time was a week and a half (probably mfr'd in hong kong, shipped to washington state)
make sure you put in whatever deal codes they have at the time to get the price where they should be

Reactions: FeuerFrei

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
You order from Google? Google Glass?

39dollarglasses.com?

My housemate tried ordering from them. The frames were a bit on the cheap side, but they were what she ordered and their customer service was good.
That's a new one. I see when I select 146-180mm temple length I get 2 frames to pick from. One is plastic, which is too slippery to work for me. The other frame is wire and mmmiiight work. Add $29 for anti-reflective coating and $4.95 shipping. Doable, but sucks I only have one to choose from.

I ended up just finding frames I liked online, then getting the lenses from Costco. Its not the cheapest, but I am happier with the quality over my Zenni and frames I bought from 39 glasses. I had the Vancouver from them. I now have Persol and Costco lenses.

6485870_a2.jpg
Quality is a concern of mine. So are you saying if I bring a random pair of frames into a glasses shop, they can build me lenses to fit? Or did you specifically hit up Costco because they are a Persol dealer?

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Make sure you get frames that actually fit you properly, and once you get them, make sure you get them adjusted to fit your face. You'd be amazed at how many people wear glasses that don't fit them properly, constantly adjusting their glasses, thinking that's normal.
That's me right now. I need something designed to fit my face, not bent to fit. Though I'll bend if it helps.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
my current coastals are about a year and a half old and cost ~$80, no real complaints.

the quality on mine are great (the brand was primeflex?) and the coatings seem pretty durable ( i think they're the top kodak brand coatings )
i think the shipping time was a week and a half (probably mfr'd in hong kong, shipped to washington state)
make sure you put in whatever deal codes they have at the time to get the price where they should be
Cool. Thanks. I haven't found a reason to eliminate Coastal yet.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That's me right now. I need something designed to fit my face, not bent to fit. Though I'll bend if it helps.
Good luck finding it online without trying stuff on. It's worth your time to go to an optical store and try on different glasses and talk to the people who work there so they can help you actually find something that fits you.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
You order from Google? Google Glass?

That's a new one. I see when I select 146-180mm temple length I get 2 frames to pick from. One is plastic, which is too slippery to work for me. The other frame is wire and mmmiiight work. Add $29 for anti-reflective coating and $4.95 shipping. Doable, but sucks I only have one to choose from.

Quality is a concern of mine. So are you saying if I bring a random pair of frames into a glasses shop, they can build me lenses to fit? Or did you specifically hit up Costco because they are a Persol dealer?

You can take any frames to Costco for lenses, they charge $18 extra if you didn't buy the frames from them. I saw my frames in Costco, tried them on, then bought online.

Sep 29, 2004
eye buy direct has a nice interface. You can put a photo of you on the site and see what the glasses will look like on you. And with the prices, you can get more than one pair. I just bought 4 pair a few months ago. 2 look awesome on me and 2 are so so.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
We've used Eyebuydirect several times with good results. My wife also orders occasionally from Zenni. I can't speak for other online places but I do like that you can upload a picture of yourself on EBD to give you an idea about what the frames would look like. Pretty happy with the quality and price. My wife usually finds sales on them ($x off $y or something) so I think my wife gets her glasses for around $20-25 although mine are normally $10 more expensive because of the type of lenses I have (I guess)
I second eyebuydirect. I've bought four pairs of glasses from them over the years. No hassles and great prices. It's cheaper for me to go through them then even with my insurance.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I've only used Warby Parker, like 5 years ago. I had them send me 5 pairs to try on and one was perfect. I still love them and they are tough as nails. Have gotten numerous compliments on them. I've fallen asleep with them in the bed multiple times and rolled over them for sure and they look perfect.