Currently have Phenom II X4 940 BE O/C to 3.5 Ghz. Is it worth for me to upgrade..?

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
I keep reading about these combo deals at Fry's involving the I5 & I7 cpu's & when reading benchmarks its showing the I7 being faster then what I currently have.

The one I'm kind of looking at is the I7 860, which from a few threads on here, appears the sweet spot on O/C is 3.7 ghz.

Overall I do video editing & some gaming.

So my question is, would it be a waste of money to upgrade or would I noticed a difference?

Alex@Nosound

Apr 23, 2010
Depends if the software would use all 8 threads

most likey it wount though so you'd probably see barely any difference.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Yeah but if he already has an AM2+/AM3 setup, and he's video editing, why not go with the newly released AMD hex-cores? He doesn't need to worry about anything except checking to make sure his mobo's latest BIOS supports Thubans.

Phil1977

Dec 8, 2009
Oh right that's a very good point.

OP: What mobo do you have? As long as your board supports 125W cpus you should be fine. Just need a BIOS update and then slot in one of these new X6 cpus.

If you have the cash you can even go for the top model as it is a black edition (at least I believe it is?)

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Wait for AT's Thuban review due in a few days. Initial reports are that this is a killer chip that OC's like a monster- so I'd wait and see what the reviews say and if it's all true- get one. Note you'll need a BIOS update beforehand so check with your mobo manufacturer.

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
I currently have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H. Also if I remember correctly, when i bought my cpu, it did mention it was 125W

My MB also uses DDR2, so I'm not sure if the new 6 core cpu's are also going to support that or if its going to require DDR3.

Oh right that's a very good point.

OP: What mobo do you have? As long as your board supports 125W cpus you should be fine. Just need a BIOS update and then slot in one of these new X6 cpus.

If you have the cash you can even go for the top model as it is a black edition (at least I believe it is?)

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I currently have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H. Also if I remember correctly, when i bought my cpu, it did mention it was 125W

My MB also uses DDR2, so I'm not sure if the new 6 core cpu's are also going to support that or if its going to require DDR3.

Don't worry the new cpu's will support DDR2 and are compatible with your motherboard.

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
Ok based upon what other's have said, I'm going to wait until the reviews of the 6 core cpu's come out. When I originally wrote the question, the thought of finding out the 6 core cpu's being just as good or possibly slightly better hit & with my luck, if I did buy the I7 cpu, new MB & Memory, I would have found out that the new 6 core would have been a better value.

Phil1977

Dec 8, 2009
Yea it should support these 6 core cpus fine!

But the bios update isn't out yet. So you need to wait for that to happen.

Shouldn't be long though. You could contact Gigabyte, they likely have a BETA bios ready.

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
My mb is Ga-ma78gm-us2h NOT the Ga-ma785gm-us2h.

I would wait for the 1055t reviews.

The Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H supports x6 cpu's already and is only 80$ shipped at Newegg.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...rd&ProductID=3141&ProductName=GA-MA785GM-US2H

new egg link......

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128394

I was lucky enough to put this board in my daughter rig with a regor x2 240 cpu a few months back.
Now if I can only borrow it off her ? Mabe I'll trade her for my rig?. :)

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
IMO, if you have to ask that question then you do not need to upgrade. Upgrade when there is a call to do so. For instance, I bought a game(or two) and it's not running as fast as I'd like. THEN it is time to upgrade.

So just ask yourself what it is that you want to to faster/better. Find out what will make it go faster. Get upgrades if you decide it's worth the cost.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
OP, I'm like you. My current part is good enough for me, but I can't help but to think how an upgrade might be worth while. In our situation though, I think it does make sense to go to a hex-core Phenom and overclock it for all it's worth. I'm not buying right now, but I will certainly drop a hex-core in this motherboard before I retire it. i7's are certainly nice, but stretching out the AM2+ a bit longer seems like a pretty cost effective option.

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
I did order the the 1090t, which I got a the Friday before last. I can say that I have defently noticed some differences. For instance, video conversion is faster, & when I watched a HD video file before, if I tried to skim thru the video, I might as well go & do something else before it would start to play in the new spot, now if I do the same thing, the video starts to play in the new spot a few seconds later.

OP, I'm like you. My current part is good enough for me, but I can't help but to think how an upgrade might be worth while. In our situation though, I think it does make sense to go to a hex-core Phenom and overclock it for all it's worth. I'm not buying right now, but I will certainly drop a hex-core in this motherboard before I retire it. i7's are certainly nice, but stretching out the AM2+ a bit longer seems like a pretty cost effective option.