Question Current best methods to get a GPU at near MSRP?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Hey all,

I've been ignoring the market on GPU's for a while for obvious reasons. My needs are finally starting to change and I will need a fairly newer GPU soon. I'm in no rush at all. But, I would like to start at least looking at what the options are to get a fairly good GPU at near MSRP. This may be laughable. I'm not aware because again I'm not sitting on edge constantly for a "drop" and I'm not camping out at some store at my age and where I am at in life. It's just not that important to me. So I'm curious if there are options other than this or what's the latest on the ability to get something like a 3060 or similar class GPU at near MSRP. The rumor of nVidia dropping a 2060 for an ok price is appealing for someone like me, but that's just a rumor at this point.

Any ok/reliable methods to get a GPU at anything close to MSRP?

I am open to used here in the classifieds, but the prices are silly except a few threads where someone is doing a good deed but I don't live refreshing a page to try to snipe deals. Post a wanted ad maybe?

Situation: You're 40+. You're over everything. You're just looking to get a low to mid-tier GPU at near MSRP. You're not willing to camp at a store. What is remotely reliable and accessible?

Thanks for any time you give this.

Very best,

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
More and more, APU looks like the way to go for me then. Performance of the 5600G and 5700G are acceptable for my purposes. I'm not gaming the latest titles at max 4k settings and VR. I was just looking at 5600G and 5700G in various titles from Gamer's Nexus review and these APU's seem to be doing well in 1080p which is all I need anyways and in some cases outperforming a GT 1030 in games. I'm curious what the next gen APU's will bring, if the GPU trend continues.

Cloud gaming is for people with fast internet with low latency. I won't be in that camp. I'm rural and always will be. I have zero interest in streaming a game from a cloud. Maybe my kids will do that. Gaming is not my primary purpose for a PC. That said, I do very much like the idea of just evolving past hardware and just stream from someone, it just makes sense, alleviate the hardware need and cost, of course it will be subscription and then the cost of fast internet on top of that (unlimited would be pretty important of course) and compare that monthly average to the hardware cost to just buy your own. May not be all that different.

I'm honestly leaning towards picking up a 5600G and calling it another 2+ years for my purpose. I have 3 main PC's that are working every day, one has an Athlon 3000G and just generates data; one has a Athlon 3000G and a 1660 Super and is a Steam box but also used for home school; the primary workstation is a 3700X with a 750Ti (no gaming, just there for display). I could get a 5600G or 5700G and put that in my primary workstation and then move the 3700X to my data generating machine and free up the 750 Ti for use. I have a 510 and GT 730 laying around for basic display purposes. I may just do this, it's much cheaper and each system benefits from the purchase in the $350 range.

Very best,

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Thanks everyone for the comments and thoughts; I went ahead with a new APU. I went with the 5600G after looking at the real world comparison to the 5700G and the single digit FPS difference in the titles was enough for me not care to spend $100 more for that minutia. Many of my applications do not scale cores, so single thread performance is all that really matters in my case for its use and I don't need it to be bleeding edge of things. This liberates my 3700X and a GTX750 Ti for use in the other system which solves my issue and upgrades the other system at the same time. I can always use CPUs for various builds as systems age, so having another CPU is not a bad thing for me. Old GPU's are useless though.

Again thanks for everyone's thoughts. Looks like I'm done with GPU's at this point. My 1660 Super will have to survive until it just cannot play games anymore. But an APU will do the job for the few minor games I play until that time to compliment my 1660 Super box for our 2 player coop games (mostly side scrollers, etc, nothing intensive at all). Sad reality of things. So I'll bang around on the 5600G on one box and maybe we'll see what Navi is like after it drops, compared to discreet GPU to see if I care about them then. But it really is looking like I'm exiting PC GPU for now.

Very best,

Last edited:

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Neat! Price?

$579 for the 3060 Ti 8Gb, ASUS

Still sucks, that's double what it should cost in reality. Cheaper than scalper, but not by a lot. Sigh.

I'm still good to go on the CPU since it was not expensive; replacing an FX8350 and an old AM3 board, to bring that machine back into the modern era. The kid gets to keep the 1660 Super and I'll take the 3060 Ti and keep my 3700X in that machine. Will have the 750 Ti as a backup card in case something happens for the next few years.

Very best,

Last edited: