CuMine650/ASUS P3B-F overclock

coke

Jul 4, 2000
Anyone out there had any success in overclocking Pentium-IIIs 650E with this ASUS P3B-F mainboard?
The highest I've got was 115x6.5, since I have to use the standard core voltage because I don't have a voltage-selectable FCPGA->Slot1 card and the BIOS voltage selection seems to be ignored by the processor. Curiously, I've had an SECC2 P-III 500 which would only go 115x5.0 too.
Does anybody got some other experiences with this board?
BTW I'm using PC133 CL2 Itaucom (and other) SDRAM and that... so I guess mem is not the problem.

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Although it doesn't have the FSB settings like Abit's offerings, the P3B-F is still a good board for overclocking.

Personally I'm running @133 FSB on my P3B-F. I know a lot of people got to 143FSB or even higher.

Maybe it's the AGP bus??

or maybe your PC133 is not "real" PC133? When PC133 were first introduced in the market, there are several "PC133s" that are not capable of running at 133 MHz. Personally, I've never really heard of Itaucom brand. Maybe you want to check on that.

IceStorm

Feb 7, 2000
Mine does 124FSB solid with a PIII-650 pre-cb0, 1.8v core. Alpha HSF, and it's a Slot 1 version.

It'll do 133FSB with my PIII-550E, but I can't go higher due to AGP problems (I can do 140 and boot, but can't play Q3A, only UT).

After 124FSB (133 and up), I can only fill DIMM slots 1 and 3. Any others, and the RAM count is erratic and Winblows crashes.

coke

Jul 4, 2000
Well I tried other DIMMs but all them failed.
And the Itaucoms I have here are rated as -6ns, so I guess it should be enough to run at least FSB 133MHz.
It looks like my problem is really Vcore, since whatever selection I pick in BIOS, the h/w monitor always shows 1.68V.
I'll try to get a slocket card with Vcore selection jumpers.
Another thing, when I ran for some time a "non-standard" (ie no 33MHz multiple) FSB (112), my HD didn't like it at all and even shown SMART BAD messages some times, and watching some disk performance tests, I noticed very high transfer rate differences (i.e. in a 500MB range, it went from 22MB/s to 5MB/s 3 or 4 times). I guess this IDE controller doesn't like operating above 33MHz :)
BTW, AGP is not a problem at all since I have tried other PCI (and even ISA :) cards