Cult of the Lamb

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Out of curiosity, has anyone picked up and played this game yet? I played the demo, and had a pretty good time with it overall. As a result, I purchased the game, and put a bit of time into it last night.

For the uninitiated, Cult of the Lamb is a mix between a Rogue-Lite and a Management Sim. The Rogue-Lite elements are a Zelda-like top-down action game where you use physical attacks or curses (i.e. magic) to defeat enemies. These are separated into individual runs through a gauntlet of stages, which may remind you of games like Slay the Spire where you have to choose your path. One complaint that I have here is that the game lacks a legend on its path screen, and in some cases, I have no idea what the squares mean. For example, I went to the '?' square, which I assume is a randomized one, and it ended up being a quest/challenge. So... is '?' randomized or is it a challenge? No idea! During each outing/gauntlet, you can gain temporary power-ups including new weapons, temporary hearts (turquoise instead of red), or curses. However, in regard to weapons and curses, you can only hold one of each at a time; however, you can always pick up the previous one if you end up not liking the new one.

Now, the other big aspect of the game is the Management Sim portion, and the two parts do work together. For example, when out in a run, you are able to gain resources that can be used for creating buildings, crafting food, and other aspects of furthering your cult. There is also a calendar system, and I'm not exactly sure if time passes related to how long you spend out in a run or is it simply each stage adds a predefined amount of time. However, while you are away, things will occur in your cult such as people getting sick, people defecating, etc., and you will have to manage that either while you are there or when you return.

Overall, I never found any one feature to be too overbearing compared to the other, but it's a safe bet that you should probably enjoy both aspects to want to jump into the game. However, I believe the demo is still available if you'd like to give it a try. The demo covers the beginning of the game, and focuses a lot more on the combat portion.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I was about to make a post about this but just saw yours. I've been talking to some coworkers about this game and they highly recommend it even if I never played rogue like titles.

I watched some gameplay and I like the base building part and I also like that it won't get destroyed while I'm not getting time to play.

I recently got a puppy so I was considering getting this title on PS5 so I could play in the living room while I watch the little rascal. But seems the console version of this title is riddled with bugs.

It looks like they put a lot of thought into the cult aspect of the game, and how you can create your followers. I guess it adds to the fun aspect of the game from what I've seen during streamers playing.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I was about to make a post about this but just saw yours. I've been talking to some coworkers about this game and they highly recommend it even if I never played rogue like titles.

I watched some gameplay and I like the base building part and I also like that it won't get destroyed while I'm not getting time to play.

I recently got a puppy so I was considering getting this title on PS5 so I could play in the living room while I watch the little rascal. But seems the console version of this title is riddled with bugs.

It looks like they put a lot of thought into the cult aspect of the game, and how you can create your followers. I guess it adds to the fun aspect of the game from what I've seen during streamers playing.
I’ve been playing on PC, and I haven’t encountered any bugs so far.

It’s definitely weird to have a mix between the two niches (rogue-lite combat + civilization simulation). Probably the most important thing to mention is that I think it helps if you’re interested in BOTH of those aspects, because the game features a simplified version of both. For example, if you like Rogue Legacy and you go into this game expecting more of that, you may end up disappointed. The combat isn’t entirely deep and the base building certainly has a good amount to it, but it also isn’t incredibly deep.

The game definitely isn’t bad by any means. I know there’s a demo on Steam that is pretty much the beginning of the game, but it does focus a lot more on combat over the cult building. However, that might help give you an idea. I watched ProJared’s review on it yesterday, and he gave it an 8/10, which seems pretty fair to me.

Oh, and good luck with the puppy. Still trying to drill into our puppy’s head that people are not chew toys. 😐