Cubs indefinitely ban fan who used offensive hand gesture

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes. Most of us realize that it STARTED as a troll by 4chan. And it was a VERY successful troll. So successful in fact that it is now ACTUALLY being used by ACTUAL White Power losers for that very purpose that the troll started with. So it's been entirely co-opted by the very people that it was based on. So now, it actually CAN (but not always!) mean what 4chan trolled with.

Edit: And using Mel Gibson, of all the fucking people in the world, was either a crappy troll by attempt by you or bitterly serendipitous.

The Swastika was never really a Nazi symbol anyway because they were just trolling about at the very beginning.

Nov 8, 2012
This is the first time I'd ever heard of the ok sign being associated with white supremacy. I have heard about the circle game because it was something kids played back in the dark ages when I grew up. When did 4chan become a source of news?

It's not - it really boils down to exploiting social media.

Step 1: 4chan declares a troll campaign to troll people into believing A-Okay is a racist symbol.
Step 2: Spread it all over - post it on Twatter, Facebook, Forums, etc...
Step 3: People get trolled and fooled into believing it's true.
Step 4: Morons like Homer spread it themselves. 4chan is successful.

It's the ultimate irony and showing that Fake news is a real problem... Particularly from morons that get their "news" and believe shit that is posted on social media.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I've explained it numerous times, it's a troll. They said it was a white power symbol... to troll.... See the 4chan post where it says "Leftists have dug so deep down into their lunacy. We must force to dig more."

Or do you think Mel Gibson is a white supremacist?

operation-okkk.jpg

People that fell for this - believe this, etc... are obviously low on the intelligence meter. Not surprising to see who fell for it (Homer, etc.)
You really want to hang your hat on Mel Gibson you very fine person?
“F*****g Jews,” he reportedly said to the deputy. “The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world. Are you a Jew?”
]
“You look like a f**king pig in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of n***ers, it will be your fault.”

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...e-hand-gesture-behind-doug-glanville-at-game/

From the article:

Two days after a fan was seen making an "OK" symbol with his hand on NBC Sports Chicago's broadcast of a Cubs game, the team has said they have permanently banned the man from Wrigley Field.

Former MLB outfielder Doug Glanville was reporting live during Tuesday night's game against the Miami Marlins when the fan, seated behind him, was spotted flashing a peace sign before making and holding the "OK" gesture. That symbol has been used for many different things -- one being a "white power" symbol, according to the Anti-Defamation League, that has been adopted by white supremacist groups. It is also used as part of the "circle game," in which people try to trick others into looking at the circle made with their hands.
You do know that the owners of the Chicago Cubs also happen to be among Trump's biggest political backers, right?

I'm just asking because the slant here is that this is yet another example of liberal PC gone mad, when that is not the case at all.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Step 1: 4chan declares a troll campaign to troll people into believing A-Okay is a racist symbol.

It's the ultimate irony and showing that Fake news is a real problem... Particularly from morons that get their "news" and believe shit that is posted on social media.

You left out Step 5: white supremacists begin using the symbol under the cover that it was just a 4chan troll to begin with.

The true ultimate irony is how you are such a perfect example of Dunning-Kruger. You think you're so smart, and that's why you're so stupid.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
You do know that the owners of the Chicago Cubs also happen to be among Trump's biggest political backers, right?

I'm just asking because the slant here is that this is yet another example of liberal PC gone mad, when that is not the case at all.

Vic, I didn't know that and I didn't try to slant this article. I've enjoyed seeing the different responses, and I think culturally we are learning how symbols evolve and change.

A lot of people found out for the first time that this is being used as a white power symbol. A lot of people pushed back because it symbolizes or communicates something entirely different to them. Some pushed back because it originated as a joke.

But the real important part is how the Cubs reacted. Now there is a precedent for providing consequences for people using this symbol. This, to an extent, legitimizes/establishes/acknowledges it as a symbol of white power.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Make them have to prove they aren't so that if they want to waste people's times on trolling that well they should expect to be treated as such.

I'm fairly certain, that once labeled by the left, you will never be able to prove yourself out of the label.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

How the fuck did I "spread it"? I (and others) have now repeatedly just pointed out that due to 4chan's successful trolling, their trolling has become a reality. It has been co-opted. Zins' example of the Swastika is a valid example of how this has worked in the past.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Vic, I didn't know that and I didn't try to slant this article. I've enjoyed seeing the different responses, and I think culturally we are learning how symbols evolve and change.

A lot of people found out for the first time that this is being used as a white power symbol. A lot of people pushed back because it symbolizes or communicates something entirely different to them. Some pushed back because it originated as a joke.

But the real important part is how the Cubs reacted. Now there is a precedent for providing consequences for people using this symbol. This, to an extent, legitimizes/establishes/acknowledges it as a symbol of white power.

Fair enough, but my point is that this is manufactured outrage. Note that the meme on the right here is that this guy has been "labeled by the left" when in fact the "labelers" here (the Cubs) are the right.

This is a common component of right wing propaganda BTW. Fox seems to dedicate hours of its programming every day telling its viewers to be outraged because the liberals are supposedly outraged about something (that liberals really aren't outraged about).

Nov 25, 2013
"she"? Are we watching the same thing?

Also it's VERY obvious that this was the stupid "circle game" - As the A-Okay sign is with your fingers up - while the circle game is with your fingers pointing down.and it is placed on his own self (not with his hands in the air) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_pranks#Circle_game

Overall, this is incredibly stupid that I have to explain this to grown adults. Trolling is trolling. They are doing it to get a rise out of you. Asserting that they are doing such in an effort to give a white supremacy sign is laughably stupid.

If you find some Klansmen doing Hitler salutes and A-okay signs, then you might have some leverage. These are random people trolling you - and you (unsurprisingly) fall for it because you're in the stupid crowd. You're dumb. You're fucking dumb as shit that you fall for this.

Circle game?

The man charged in relation to the Christchurch massacre makes an okay sign to the camera. Photo: Getty Images

1557524169208.jpeg

Circle game?

Richard Spencer

CwxuU6gWIAAc_aY.jpg

Reactions: darkswordsman17

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Overall, this is incredibly stupid that I have to explain this to grown adults. Trolling is trolling. They are doing it to get a rise out of you. Asserting that they are doing such in an effort to give a white supremacy sign is laughably stupid.

Sigh. As a grown adult I'll explain this to you.

We dont give a shit about your "clever" internet jokes. You can pull the "Hur Dur I was only pretending to be racist and now they think I am" thing as much as you want, we'll just treat you as the way you portray yourself. Your public image is your responsibility, I dont have the time or the inclination to work out if you are an arsehole or pretending to be one. And frankly if you spend time pretending to be an arsehole just to offend people its a very good bet you are an arsehole.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Holy fuck.. He actually hitched his wagon to Mel fucking Gibson. Holy fuck.
yup, kind of moronic of him, gibson has a pretty long history of ranting on a number of different thing, racism being just one. of course with his posting history I really wouldn't expect otherwise.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
They really did successfully fool everyone. Even the actual White Power people who have now actually adopted the symbol. So now it technically COULD be used to represent white power and be passed off as "it's just the 'OK' sign". It's impossible to tell.
It wouldn't work as a racist sign if people didn't react this way. It's ridiculous.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Sigh. As a grown adult I'll explain this to you.

We dont give a shit about your "clever" internet jokes. You can pull the "Hur Dur I was only pretending to be racist and now they think I am" thing as much as you want, we'll just treat you as the way you portray yourself. Your public image is your responsibility, I dont have the time or the inclination to work out if you are an arsehole or pretending to be one. And frankly if you spend time pretending to be an arsehole just to offend people its a very good bet you are an arsehole.

Of course the other option is to just not "pretend" to be racist in public only to "troll da libs."

but that's a very complicated behavioral strategy to suggest to such an individual that is inclined to "be racist, but only for trolling."

...because that makes sense.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Here's a little secret for you. Even if that premise is true, once it gets adopted by racists to use for racist reasons it does, in fact, become a racist symbol.

Or are you going to argue a Swastika isn't anti-semetic because they were around long before the Nazis?

It has only power you choose to give. If you look at the world through hate filled eyes, you will see hate in everything.

Reactions: pcgeek11

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
It's comical watching you trolls resurrect your dormant sock puupets. If only you could stuff the ballots like that!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I find it odd people objecting Cubs banning guy would be silent if the offensive hand gesture had been the middle finger.