csrss.exe - why does it use so much memory?

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
i have one copy of csrss.exe running, but it is using ~450MB of ram, why so much? is this normal?

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
450MB? Hmmm.... I am running at 4MB. Sounds like a trojan or zombie version running (Nimdia did that). Verify you have active virus scanning and scan.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by: gsellis
450MB? Hmmm.... I am running at 4MB. Sounds like a trojan or zombie version running (Nimdia did that). Verify you have active virus scanning and scan.

always have a a/v running and do a scan 1x weekly.

i have on csrss.exe and it is the 6KB one that is supposed to be.

could other programs make its use go up?

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Not that I am aware of. It should run at 4MB. AV can be spoofed and CSRSS is one that is used as a dupe. See if you have multiple versions (and search dllcache, so include hidden and system). The file should be around 4MB. If you find multiple versions and the sizes don't match, the big one is suspect. It might be loaded in Run.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by: gsellis
Not that I am aware of. It should run at 4MB. AV can be spoofed and CSRSS is one that is used as a dupe. See if you have multiple versions (and search dllcache, so include hidden and system). The file should be around 4MB. If you find multiple versions and the sizes don't match, the big one is suspect. It might be loaded in Run.

i will look arond some more, but there is only 1 instance running, it is in the correct folder and is 6KB compared to the trojan on that is 21KB....