CS:Source benchmarked by driverheaven.net.....

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
It's been a rumor for a long time that this would be the case...

I personally prefer HL2 over DIII, so it was never a question which to purchase.

Edit: But I would withhold judgement until Anand gets his performance review out.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
i like how the bench some of the cards at differant settings and present them in the same graph

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Considering how successful id is at licensing their engines, an nV owner will have plenty of other games besides Doom3 to make them feel good about their card choice.

Definitely a win for ATI though, especially for people who want to play at native 1600x1200 on their 19" - 20" LCD.

Mik3y

Banned
Mar 2, 2004
there's a way to make doom 3 perform 30% better on an ati card with some tweaking. carmack specialized doom 3 for nvidia cards and not ati cards, as i've heard.. tahts y the benchies for the radeons suck. technically, the x800's should have been the better performer, but w/e.

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Mik3y
there's a way to make doom 3 perform 30% better on an ati card with some tweaking. carmack specialized doom 3 for nvidia cards and not ati cards, as i've heard.. tahts y the benchies for the radeons suck. technically, the x800's should have been the better performer, but w/e.

Yeah, whatever :roll:
More mindless drivel from Mik3y again.
And before you throw your toys out of your pram, consider this:
Why would he do it? He wants to make money and to sell as many games as possible. Why, why would he do something like that? Hmm?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

I heard minimal gains. Neither confirmed or denied by any major hardware site.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Carmack used a special texture lookup technique in order to ensure that newer shader cards would match the bias generated on pre-shader cards(where development started) so that all platforms in all conditions looked correctly. The shader change makes it so that it does a power function instead of this lookup, speeding things up for everyone(more so for ATI than NV though), but it also produces results that are not mathematically accurate compared to the "reference image" JC & crew wanted out of Doom 3(and is why it's a "dirty" hack, you'll never see it officially recommended). There is no reason to believe that JC did anything special for Nvidia at this point.

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
why cant any of these sites do benchmarks with cards a majority of people actually use. Such as a 9800. I don't have 400$ to spend on a vidcard, and i dont give a damn about the 6800. Give me real benchmarks! (sry for rant)

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Driverheaven's benchmarks are screwed up... Look at ANY other sites and see how much closer these cards are... esspecially comparing a 6800U with 8xSS vs ATI's 6x AA lol. Yeah thats REAL fair :roll:

Also look at this thread... For some better benchmarks... link