CS GO - too colourful, or just me?

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
I got CS GO a few days ago and is it ever colourful, not to mention a bit cartoony (the gun models are a bit "meh").

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Considering all the dreary brown and gray generic military shooters, CS:GO's mildly "cartoony" aesthetic is completely welcome by me.

I think it looks fine. They skipped the nitty-gritty look, and instead went for a more practical color scheme that's easier on the eyes and more appropriate for competitive environments.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Considering all the dreary brown and gray generic military shooters, CS:GO's mildly "cartoony" aesthetic is completely welcome by me.

I think it looks fine. They skipped the nitty-gritty look, and instead went for a more practical color scheme that's easier on the eyes and more appropriate for competitive environments.

Yeah people were worried about TF2 before it came out, saying it was too cartoony and colorful, but the thing is, that is exactly what made them stand out: the looney tunes colors and comedy. Valve didn't think the world needed another green and brown gritty realistic military simulation that looked like every other green and brown gritty realistic military simulation, and judging by the wild success of TF2, maybe Valve was right. Good point about competitive environments--I hear that Valve asked a bunch of pro gamers for input on CS:GO as they wanted it to remain a game that pro gamers would play.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Yet CS and CS Source still have more players...crazy. Is the updated graphics requirement keeping that many people away from the game, or are people that stuck in the past? You'd never see that on Cowadoody.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Yet CS and CS Source still have more players...crazy. Is the updated graphics requirement keeping that many people away from the game, or are people that stuck in the past? You'd never see that on Cowadoody.

CS is one of the series where the player base doesn't like to move on because of changes. Regardless if the changes are for the good or bad from what I've seen.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
CS is a hardcore game thus the majority of players are gonna stick with the older one. It's not about new graphics or new features, or any of that. This is competitive gaming so it's all about winning.

CS:GO I guess they brought out for people that might want to get into the game fresh.

Because its impossible to try to start fresh on CS: Source now, unless you are some kind of masochist who does not enjoy playing video games. Because if a noob tries to play CS: Source now, they get killed very quickly, and then you have to wait until the next match, everybody is raging on you for sucking etc etc... its really no fun at all unless you are somebody desperate to get into the community.

So they brought out CS:GO for people that wanna try getting into CS fresh, and the hardcore players dont want to have anything to do with that noob fesh.

Also, Valve is a really lazy developer at this point. There isn't much to CS:GO really...

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Honestly, I first started with CS Source a few years ago, and I got quite good.

Now I'm trying to move onto CS GO and I don't even see the enemy half the time, because of all the colours and HDR. I die a lot because of it. Some maps are worse than others with this sort of thing, depending on the palette used.

I'm just hoping I'll get used to it eventually. I'm sick of dying from an enemy I can't see.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Gonna check this game out soon. I've played Cs off and on for a long ass time, since beta 3.

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Gonna check this game out soon. I've played Cs off and on for a long ass time, since beta 3.
It's way different in that you have to take bullet travel time into account. It's not instantaneous "lightspeed" bullets as I experienced it to be (like in Source).

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Just watching the GameSpot review I still recognized all of the maps which still had essentially the exact same layout.

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Just watching the GameSpot review I still recognized all of the maps which still had essentially the exact same layout.
There's minor changes here and there.

Seriously though, the bullet travel time thing is huge. It feels like a different game entirely.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
wow this game is horrible, feels dumbed down and arcade like, way to fast imo.
people are pretty much running and gunning, snap headshotting with awps lol.

i still prefer 1.6 and cz, hell i'm gonna dl source and see if it's any better from what i remember it. it just doesn't have that "cs" feel to it. i miss the old days of cal

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'm no CS pro but "arcadey", "fast", "running and gunning" and "snap headshotting" all sound like classic descriptions of CS to me.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i see nobody crouching, it's pretty much cod, everyone just runs constantly.

i dl'd source, it's the same as i remember it, feels more tactical and cs like. it's like cs:go is running @ 150% speed or something

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
i see nobody crouching, it's pretty much cod, everyone just runs constantly.

i dl'd source, it's the same as i remember it, feels more tactical and cs like. it's like cs:go is running @ 150% speed or something
I still have limited experience with GO, but I would tend to agree.

The bullet travel time also makes GO feel slower.

Coffinmaker

Sep 15, 2010
Does CS:GO have many hide n seek servers? I remember playing it on Source with the Puss n Boots theme, damn that was fun.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
CS is a hardcore game thus the majority of players are gonna stick with the older one. It's not about new graphics or new features, or any of that. This is competitive gaming so it's all about winning.

CS:GO I guess they brought out for people that might want to get into the game fresh.

Because its impossible to try to start fresh on CS: Source now, unless you are some kind of masochist who does not enjoy playing video games. Because if a noob tries to play CS: Source now, they get killed very quickly, and then you have to wait until the next match, everybody is raging on you for sucking etc etc... its really no fun at all unless you are somebody desperate to get into the community.

So they brought out CS:GO for people that wanna try getting into CS fresh, and the hardcore players dont want to have anything to do with that noob fesh.

Also, Valve is a really lazy developer at this point. There isn't much to CS:GO really...

I don't think so ... because you could say the same thing about 1.5 -> source...