Crytek transitioning to the F2P model.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
For online games at least, I like the Guild Wars model with the initial entry cost (and usually not having 'locked' content) but then no subscription/online play costs and then keeping microtransactions pretty much specific to aesthetic changes or 'boost' type products.

I think most mainstream F2P games aren't really pay to win, that seems mostly prevalent in sectors like Facebook or browser games, although a lot of Asian MMOs do seem to operate that way as well.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
We get some gems here and there though. Torchlight, Sins of a Solar Empire, that Orc killing game.

that is one side of this whole money chanse by the larger companies, you have a large range of space sim conquest style games comming out. After soo long without them, getting back into what I loved a decade ago is great.

I do not have the time to play them all as much as I want, but I do have the money to buy each that seems good just to support them.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I think most mainstream F2P games aren't really pay to win, that seems mostly prevalent in sectors like Facebook or browser games, although a lot of Asian MMOs do seem to operate that way as well.

To be fair, asians and gaming is just unorthadox in itself with how much they put into gaming AND get high international test scores.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Another element with the F2P micro-transaction model is that it almost demands multiplayer to be effective. Especially if you are chasing the micro-transactions for cosmetic items. People want those items for the cosmetic element of showing them off.

So, because of that, you need successful multiplayer that keeps a healthy community. No idea how Crytek plans to do this for their future games. They have a history of having absolute crap multiplayer that no one bothers with after the first few weeks of release.

The model works in TF2 because TF2 is fun and a lot of people play it. If you try to emulate this in a game that no one ends up playing, you're not going to make much money :p

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
When this first became news Crytek's CEO said they were rich enough that they didn't need to nickle and dime gamers and anything F2P that they produce won't seem like a money grab. They just want to get the game out there for free, and people can support it by buying non competitive items.