Crytek transitioning to the F2P model.

0___________0

May 5, 2012
CEO Cevat Yerli:
Gamespot said:
As we were developing console games we knew very clearly that the future is online and free-to-play," Yerli said. "Right now we are in the transitional phase of our company, transitioning from packaged goods games into an entirely free-to-play experience."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/all-future-crytek-games-will-be-free-to-play-6382131
Made a few searches but didn't find anything on the topic.

I kinda have a problem with something: "If you look at what kind of games are done in the packaged goods market, with DLCs and premium services and whatnot, it's literally milking the customers to death," I agree with this to an extent, but no one forces me to buy new map packs for BF3, or get the premium service(which I hear is cheaper than buying them all individually?). I do feel as if BF3 should have launched with a few more maps, but that is besides the point. I'd rather pay $50 once for a game and have complete access to everything, with maybe one expansion, then need to shell out money in a F2P game to be competitive. I think this is an inherent design in most F2P games, either the rate at which you earn the currency is very slow, or there are advantages to people who pay. Of course, there a few exceptions, but we're talking about 1 for every 100 F2P games.

I'll illustrate that point by bringing up Crytek's first F2P game, Warface. I got into the Russian beta, seemed fine at first, until I got out of the newb server and faced people who had logged more than a day and had payed for guns or spent several months playing and unlocked the best. The way it works is the free guns can be unlocked by playing, and each unlock is better than the last, and I'm not talking about slightly better, the final unlock in the AR category does twice as much damage as your starting weapon while firing faster, with better accuracy, and longer range, and a faster firing rate (recoil barely exists and isn't a displayed stat). Compared to the best weapon you can buy for cash (at any rank) it wins in one or maybe two categories and loses in the others. Its still close enough that it isn't a big difference in most of the 5 classes, I think the medic has an OP one hit kill automatic shotgun with like 20 rounds though. Now these paid for weapons are bought for durations, 90 days at most, now I've seen a few people spend several hundred dollars to fully gear out, (don't know for how many classes) now what's a poor fella like me to do? My rank 10 account can't compete, people are either too high ranked or have spent some money. I had about a 1.5 KDR, pulling 1.0 now. I could either get my butt handed to me for a half a year, at least, or get "milked" so I can compete. Once you hit rank 10 in two weeks or so you're facing people all the way up to the max rank, not fun, and its been stated by players many times.

Now the free guns (except the default) have an issue than has generated massive complaining, they have to be repaired after each match. I don't know if they use time played or rounds fired or what to calculate it, but it takes about 1/3 of my earnings each game to repair it. Obviously this was implemented in order to slow down the rate at which I can get gear, to try and get me to buy stuff. You can also pay for an XP and currency boost. This just decreases the number of people that are at my gear level, and deceases the time they spend with my gear. Making it harder for me to compete unless I pay. Right now its about $5 a month for a boost. But a brand new retail copy of MW3 when it came out was the equivalent of $20 over there, all games over there are at very cheap; so I expect about $10 or $15 a month for the boost in the US.

Now, there isn't a permanent disadvantage, just one that lasts until I can rank up all the way, which isn't exactly fun when I'm being slaughtered.

And the US (Trion) and European (don't remember) publishers may not go the same route as the Russia publisher has (mail.ru?), they may not try and bleed every penny they can out of the play base, who knows. I believe that Crytek just designs the game, but the publishers decide on the store system.

Combat Arms might be the 3rd or 4th biggest F2P FPS game (10,000,000 million users registered), and we're talking about $25 for a permanent AR, or 30 for an SR. Can't get guns permanently for the in-game currency, makes it hard for the casual player. Nexon games are probably the absolute worst of the F2P genre, just a horrible company that does everything it can to get money.

I just find that the F2P model really seems designed to milk more out of the player base; subscription based games are switching to it for a reason, it generates more revenue (LOTRO and TOR). I'd seriously just rather spend the $50, or wait for a nice sale at $30 and not be disadvantaged, or have to spend a year or two grinding just to be competitive. What are your thoughts?

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Of course F2P is more money for developers, otherwise they wouldn't be going that way :)

I think F2P is basically the death of quality and competitive gaming. F2P models inevitably resort to giving game play advantages for the purchase of real $$. In competitive games, this is bringing in the pay2win model, see Diablo 3. Never mind that actual game design and game play changes also will be brought in to facilitate increasing transaction revenue, again, usually with a negative affect on game play.

Gaming is just not what it used to be. It's a huge industry now and it's getting the correlating attention from the market vultures. Going to be much harder for new and innovative developers to get any air space in the midst of all the giant publishers sucking up the talent and watering it down for monetization.

I also think with the market base growing and more and more people turning to 'casual' gaming that we will start to see traditional gamers become more frustrated with the state of games going forward as they cater to this market. Good example would be looking at the World of Warcraft player base remaining from the game's early days and their complaints about the game being dumbed down. Another would be the move from having lives to having health regen in FPS games.

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Of course F2P is more money for developers, otherwise they wouldn't be going that way :)

I think F2P is basically the death of quality and competitive gaming. F2P models inevitably resort to giving game play advantages for the purchase of real $$. In competitive games, this is bringing in the pay2win model, see Diablo 3. Never mind that actual game design and game play changes also will be brought in to facilitate increasing transaction revenue, again, usually with a negative affect on game play.

Gaming is just not what it used to be. It's a huge industry now and it's getting the correlating attention from the market vultures. Going to be much harder for new and innovative developers to get any air space in the midst of all the giant publishers sucking up the talent and watering it down for monetization.

I also think with the market base growing and more and more people turning to 'casual' gaming that we will start to see traditional gamers become more frustrated with the state of games going forward as they cater to this market. Good example would be looking at the World of Warcraft player base remaining from the game's early days and their complaints about the game being dumbed down. Another would be the move from having lives to having health regen in FPS games.

We get some gems here and there though. Torchlight, Sins of a Solar Empire, that Orc killing game. The market isn't totally destroyed yet, but the huge companies like Activision and EA are doing their damndest to ruin it.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I have yet to see a good F2P game.

Even those with okay game mechanics are ruined by terrible communities.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

league of legends has an absolutely huge tournament series. total prize pool is millions of dollars, IIRC.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
league of legends has an absolutely huge tournament series. total prize pool is millions of dollars, IIRC.

I can't deny the success of League of Legends or games like DOTA 2 and TF2 from Valve. I probably should not have made a blanket statement that it will always be bad. These are exceptions though imo, as both Valve and Riot Games are private companies with no accountability to shareholders. These games also avoid giving outright in game prowess via in-game transactions and lean towards cosmetic effects, there are some instances that arguably tread the line though such as some of the weapons in TF2 or certain champions in LoL.

When you start talking about EA or Activision/Blizzard and the like, this is where I expect to see a no holds barred approach to game monetization to the detriment of gamers. We're already starting to see it from ATVI with Diablo 3. These companies are looking at the success of a company like Zynga with Farmville and the lure of casual gamers and heavy monetization via micro/macro transactions.

I think you'll see this sort of approach come into a very robust implementation when Activision/Blizzard launches their next MMO 'Titan'. As much as I really dislike this sort of monetization and the way it's negatively impacting games, I do look forward to seeing what sort of backlash occurs. It's opening the door for new developers to step up and take the place of formerly innovative ones who effectively wind up 'selling out' to the monetization/dlc/in-game transaction devil. It could simply become a cycle of amazing developers emerging, eventually getting gobbled up then watered down and continuing from there. I think it is a daunting task due to development and marketing costs for small players to push into the more lucrative markets, such as MMOs and large-scale online FPS games.

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
F2P can work in a mostly PVE setting like Star Trek Online.

The unlocks are not "pay 2 win", you can win perfectly well without spending any money ever. The unlocks are cosmetic, convenience, and a few slightly better ships with special abilities. Those ships might help a little in PVP, but almost no one plays that.

The tricky part is STO, Star Wars and most other existing western MMOs were initially funded as monthly-fee projects in the hope they'd be WoW style cash machines.

It's hard to guess what kind of money a company like EA would spend on a new PVE focused game that was designed to be F2P from the start.

0___________0

May 5, 2012
These are exceptions though imo, as both Valve and Riot Games are private companies with no accountability to shareholders.

Riot was bought by Tencent in 2011, and I think that they're publicly traded. And immediately after the acquisition all new champ releases became 6300 IP, combined with the high costs of runes and rune pages, its lead to a lot of people complaining that Riot is trying to drain their IP to make them buy RP. I know Riot says that their newer work is of a higher quality, but IP has no real value, and the 3150-6300 range all cost the same amount of RP, so I see the player's point. The balance issue isn't as big here, as you can get the same content with both currencies, which means that you aren't as disadvantaged as in other games if you don't pay. The issue here is how many rune pages you have at your disposal and the size of your champ pool for countering, buying RP gives you an advantage over newer players in that aspect. Not as bad as many other games, but I still don't like it.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Riot was bought by Tencent in 2011, and I think that they're publicly traded. And immediately after the acquisition all new champ releases became 6300 IP, combined with the high costs of runes and rune pages, its lead to a lot of people complaining that Riot is trying to drain their IP to make them buy RP. I know Riot says that their newer work is of a higher quality, but IP has no real value, and the 3150-6300 range all cost the same amount of RP, so I see the player's point. The balance issue isn't as big here, as you can get the same content with both currencies, which means that you aren't as disadvantaged as in other games if you don't pay. The issue here is how many rune pages you have at your disposal and the size of your champ pool for countering, buying RP gives you an advantage over newer players in that aspect. Not as bad as many other games, but I still don't like it.

Wasn't aware of that change with Riot, or the conspicuous monetization changes afterwards. Sort of speaks to there being at least a little validity in my thoughts on it all I guess :)

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Just installed and played blacklight retribution people gave it "rave" reviews including many on this forum. Am I the only one who thinks it sucks?

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
F2P is a problem because it suggests the game is free when in reality it's not. That's why a lot of gamers are mentally substituting the term F2P with Pay2Win, they're essentially the same thing at this stage.

Even if a game is supported via cosmetic purchases alone, almost all of them restrict the rate at which the game play relevant items unlock at, it's just a technicality to allow them to say that you don't have to pay anything if you don't want to...but in reality only those who can put in thousands of hours of game time can possibly hope to unlock everything.

Either way it's definitely a more "scammy" business model in my eyes, it's all about masking, hiding and abstracting the costs to the gamers, in order to bleed people for more money over time than they might otherwise spend. That's why I respect Sony over Microsoft for allowing direct purchases from the PSN and not via some stupid game currency that attempts to mask how much you're spending and leaves you with a remainder afterwards.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Just installed and played blacklight retribution people gave it "rave" reviews including many on this forum. Am I the only one who thinks it sucks?

installed, but no time to play it .. yet.. but with statements like "it sucks" with zero reasons, while alot of the posative threads list reasons its good (reason I too downloaded it).. is kinda silly.. I'm not saying you are wrong (or right).. but qualify your statment..

I have no issues with the F2P model.. While I know I havent even scratched the surface of all the games F2P out there.. I have seldom seen any that are "Pay to win" like so many claim.. many are "pay to make it easier".... and unless I have a different grasp of economics there has to be a reason people would want to "BUY" stuff or the game wouldnt be still going. Cosmetic changes for pay wont work for most games, maybe females would pa for that (sorry is that a sterotype?) Almost all F2P games just let you aquire the same stuff anybody can, but sooner..

I guess if you think you spending 20 hours to aquire the sword of cool, or joe buying it for $10 in 20 seconds is pay to win.. you wouldbe right.. you wokred for it, he bought it.. you can both have it.

where i think F2P fails is im level 20 and pay $10 for sword of cool, in 3 days im level 25 now sword of cool is worthless and I have to pay $10 for Sword of uber-cool.. rinse repeat.. i have soon spent $60 in a month instead of $14

Just for the record, the ONLY F2P game i have spent coin on.. WOT (premuim for Double Exp and Plat, dont use "gold" tanks") and LOTRonline, I picked up a new Player class (runecaster?) and AD&D, i picked up a character slot.. and.. in the WoW days I bought Gold (yes once, and paid for it.. my account was hacked less then a week later).. easy lesson to learn, never again.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Even if a game is supported via cosmetic purchases alone, almost all of them restrict the rate at which the game play relevant items unlock at, it's just a technicality to allow them to say that you don't have to pay anything if you don't want to...but in reality only those who can put in thousands of hours of game time can possibly hope to unlock everything.

I'll disagree. Unless you have OCD there's no reason why you need to unlock every uniform variation in Star Trek Online to have fun.

You don't need to spend one minute grinding to unlock anything, unless your life will not be complete without a ST The Movie uniform for your captain.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I've not played STO actually so I don't know how that differs, but that's why I said "almost all", because there is a decent amount of other games that do in fact behave this way, including popular ones like LoL and TF2.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
F2P is a problem because it suggests the game is free when in reality it's not. That's why a lot of gamers are mentally substituting the term F2P with Pay2Win, they're essentially the same thing at this stage.

Either way it's definitely a more "scammy" business model in my eyes, it's all about masking, hiding and abstracting the costs to the gamers, in order to bleed people for more money over time than they might otherwise spend. That's why I respect Sony over Microsoft for allowing direct purchases from the PSN and not via some stupid game currency that attempts to mask how much you're spending and leaves you with a remainder afterwards.

Actually F2P is the perfect name for it. Because it is just that. Free to play. It isn't Free to play the best experience available. Many F2P games I played, I enjoyed. And if I enjoyed it enough, sometimes I paid $5-10 to pick up something cool since I played all that for free.

The reason and only reason this model can be "scammy" is it plays off the psycological minds of people. Since small micro transactions are so easy to just go do without thought or care, that you don't think twice. Some people I know paid a lot of money on f2p, because over time they kept buying micro transactions.

0___________0

May 5, 2012

First few games I played I was certain tons of people were wall hacking. I then found out that there is a "Hyper Reality Visor" that lets you see through walls. I uninstalled. I hate that kind of stuff. That's the whole reason why I don't play COD with it's kill streaks. So much stuff gets added on top of gameplay that it doesn't feel skill based to me.

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
I have yet to see a good F2P game.

Even those with okay game mechanics are ruined by terrible communities.

Global Agenda had a great ava community. City chat was full of BS but could be very entertaining.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Good, I like the F2P model. It's essentially the a full game demo, and if you like the game, you can spend $10-$30 which should be more than enough to allow to be very competitive. At least this is the case I found with Tribes - I spent $10 on a starter pack and have logged 50 hours on that game since.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I think you have hit on a key flaw of F2P.

The need for money doesn't disappear. So, the game *has* to create pressure on players to pay. They don't have to, but it has to give them a reason.

In F2P, from what I've seen, there are only a few pressures they've found. Cosmetic, variety, content, and 'exp boosts'.

Now, the problem is the third and fourth. I haven't seen any F2P games that don't rely on them heavily - because not doing so seems to not get enough money.

What that means as a player is an unpleasant gaming experience, to a degree.

For example:

I loaded Sony's game - what's it called, 'freeworld' or something - and as you go around to play the various puzzles you quickly hit puzzles you can't play unless you pay, so you have to miss out on better things, travelling further to worse things. In Age of Empires Online, the top tier of skills are locked out unless you pay. In Heroes of Might and Magic Online, you say to build a building, it takes several hours - unless you pay.

Now if you buy a game, the game is designed for fun. No need for artificial barriers to fun. If you play a F2P game, the game has to be fun enough to get you to play - but create those incentives to pay, which harm the fun. Even MMO's with a monthly fee have some conflict - they need to keep players paying month after month, instead of just giving them a good game. That's fair for things like adding new content, but they don't just do that, leading to problems like always adding new things that make your old ones obsolete, new carrots.

However, a lot of this problem lies with the consumer. A consumer who finds a game that will provide 500 hours of gameplay just isn't willing to pay $500 for it or $250 for it or $100 for it - the 'retail box, get the whole game' model just doesn't 'pay off' for the game maker the way other models do. WoW costs nearly $200 per year for the basic costs. People in World of Tanks often spend hundreds of dollars for 'gold' bonuses.

Here's my view of the history of this.

Making a game was selling a game - and then game makers would sometimes offer new content, for free. Well after the game came out, here's new content and fixes.

Thing is, that costs money and they didn't get paid, so it got done less. Then came the boon in 'expansions'. For half or more the price of a new game, they could sell new content.

Then came the subscription model. Then DLC. And now F2P.

All ways to tell that player getting 500 hours of entertainment from a game, pay more for it.

And they're not exactly unfair - players can still say 'I don't want to pay that' and not play.

But it does create limited options for gamers, instead of games made to just give you fun.

It's a bit like the difference between an HBO giving you quality entertainment without commercial interruptions in a show and commercial television that's a 'commercial delivery vehicle' where show content is designed to be advertiser-friendly and you're supposed to spend a fifth of the time watching ads - in especially bad examples with product placement.

A title like Skyrim can still give you a game made for fun - but look at one of its closest competitors, Dragon Age, and DLC; and more and more games with 'F2P' money making.

On Dragon Age, some was 'new content'; some was just providing in-game storage, some continuation of an incomplete story line, some an arguably overpowered new party member.

An exception seems to be the Guild War series that sticks to the 'pay once' model, somehow even for an MMO. Diablo II did this too, with battle.net.

One of the best games that comes to mind for F2P at this balance is World of Tanks; you can enjoy it pretty well for free with lower level tanks.

But even it has bad grinds for higher level ones and plenty of pressure to buy premium accounts and premium tanks if you want to play the higher level tanks.

This is largely up to us as consumers, to reward the games who give us what we want. If we want games that charge one flat price - buy them, and pay the full price preferably.

But I don't see that as likely - the newer models are there because they are better at matching customers paying to customers getting value.

And that increased revenue creates budgets to make the games more compelling over the ones making less money.

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I think the F2P market is limited, once it's saturated, people will only play the best one is each genre. Once that happens either the companies will have to compete for users or come up with something else.

I'll make an example of the two I play on trying out, MWO and Planetside 2. I probably try out the two and which ever is more fun, I'll keep playing and maybe drop some money into. But I'm not going to be spending money and time in both.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Most F2P games are simply P2W. You should not be able to buy stuff that is better than what you can earn in the game by playing. The few F2P games I've seen that seem to do it right have it to where everything in the game is there for people to earn for free, the only stuff paying with money gets you is either cosmetic stuff, boosters that let you earn exp/ingame money faster, or to unlock an item immediately instead of having to gather up the ingame currency to get it. I have no problems with those things for paying money as it just speeds up the process of getting the stuff that everyone can get from simply playing the game.

The F2P games I've played that imo do it right are Tribes Ascend (a bit grindy but most weapons you unlock just change how you play the class to some degree and aren't just straight up upgrades), Path of Exile (granted still beta but the only stuff you can buy with real money are cosmetic stuff like pets and a larger bank to store more stuff, the bank you start with is already very large), and Mechwarrior Online (again beta, but everything but cosmetic and booster type stuff is there for anyone to earn without spending a penny).

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Most F2P games are simply P2W. You should not be able to buy stuff that is better than what you can earn in the game by playing. The few F2P games I've seen that seem to do it right have it to where everything in the game is there for people to earn for free, the only stuff paying with money gets you is either cosmetic stuff, boosters that let you earn exp/ingame money faster, or to unlock an item immediately instead of having to gather up the ingame currency to get it. I have no problems with those things for paying money as it just speeds up the process of getting the stuff that everyone can get from simply playing the game.

The F2P games I've played that imo do it right are Tribes Ascend (a bit grindy but most weapons you unlock just change how you play the class to some degree and aren't just straight up upgrades), Path of Exile (granted still beta but the only stuff you can buy with real money are cosmetic stuff like pets and a larger bank to store more stuff, the bank you start with is already very large), and Mechwarrior Online (again beta, but everything but cosmetic and booster type stuff is there for anyone to earn without spending a penny).

Cervat did say in an interview that I read a few months back that he is adamantly against P2W (play to win) scenarios and only wants 'pay for' items to be cosmetic and non competitive in nature (or something like that).