CrystalDiskInfo Question

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Hello,

I recently setup a media/ data storage PC in my house. It houses 5 drives at present, 10TB in total and constitutes a mix of WD Green and WD Blue disks. The system is kept on 24/7.

I wanted to know if there is any problem if I leave CrystalDiskInfo (V7.0.5) running all the time just to know my drive temperatures in the rig? Does keeping the software running all the time and it showing constant reading of the drive temperatures stress the drives in any way which might be detrimental to their health in the long run?

Regards,
Sam25

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
Auto-refresh in CDI can't be set lower than 1 minute. Reading the S.M.A.R.T. data (which includes the temp) every 60 seconds won't stress your drives. However, CDI will use CPU resources and therefore power while it's running, but if you're willing to accept that cost you'll be fine.

Reactions: Sam25

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
It is fine to keep Crystaldiskinfo running all the time.
I have been doing it for years.

There is pretty close to 0 impact to the system if you leave it running all the time.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Thanks so much for the information Elixer and jkauff, appreciate it.

So, going by that is Hard Disk Sentinel also safe to be run all the time? It plots and presents a graph to show the HDD temperatures across time.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Yeah, not a problem.
CrystalDiskInfo also logs the data as well, but, they don't have a fancy graph, you must import the csv data to a spreadsheet and plot it.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Thanks Elixer. :)

I'm using CDI for now, it shows me all the info I need to know at a glance. I have HDSentinel installed in case I need to see a plotted graph of temperature records.