Crystal Light on the carpet

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
A couple months ago we spilled some crystal light on our tan carpet. Fruit punch flavor, nice and red. We tried everything we had at the time on it. Resolve, 409 Carpet Cleaner, and undiluted Simple Green. Nothin worked, so we forogt about it.

Today, we have a steam cleaner and are trying again to get the stain out. Won't come out. I was just scrubbing with the shampoo stuff for 30 minutes and it did get a little bit lighter. But to get it all out will require several gallons of shampoo and several days of scrubbing.

Anyone have any ideas? This stuff just won't come out, and it looks terrible. Next on my list to try is a 20:1 solution of bleach and water.

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
palmolive antibacterial dish detergent ... i spilled a half of a bottle of ketchup on my creme carpet because the bottle was slick (was taking the safety seal off) ... didnt have any carpet cleaner ... it was dry before I thought about using the palmolive ... it worked like a charm .. never seen anything so kewl ...

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
crystal light uses an artificial dye, right?

i have been using "oxiclean" which is an oxygen based bleach, it works well on organic stains...

i have no experience with crystal light though...

oh, if you're an oxiclean fan, i am just using oxygen bleach now, no longer getting stuff from that company...

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Can't say I've heard of oxygen bleach. I'm guessing that's different that Clorox? Where would I be able to track it down at? How do I use it (i.e. dilute, let it sit, etc)?

I got Polomolive by the sink. I'll give it a whirl, but I doubt it'll be strong enough to get this stubborn stain out.

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
oxiclean is great stuff. I use it for clothing stains. I had an ink stain on a pair of shorts that had already been washed and dried once after the stain. I soaked them in oxiclean for a week. The shorts didn't fade, but the ink stain just about disappeared, can only see it cuz I know where it is.

Oxiclean was one of those mail order things that were sold on TV only, but now it's spread and you can buy it in some regular stores.

late.

TDP

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
it's in powder form, and you add HOT water...

well, actually, you get hot water, and you put the stuff in...

go to oxiclean.com, i think...

good luck with the stain...

--

look up oxygen bleach on google or something..

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
Try hair spray. I dont know if it will work in this case, but it got the pen ink out of a pair of shorts I had, and the ink was literally covering the entire thing.

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Since you are doing it yourself,
1. sponge with dry spotter (solvent-based: get a grocery store, ie Energine, Carbona, Afta, K2r);

2. sponge with a wet spotter and a few drops of ammonia. (wet spotter: water-based all-purpose spotter, also at grocery store. If short on time and don't have any, use laundry pre-treat, but rinse out afterwords.)

Keep sponging the wet spotter and ammonia, alternating with soaking it up with a clean dry cloth, until no more color is being removed.

Flush with cool water (dry w/dry cloth), then sponge with a mild vinegar solution and let dry.

If color remains, use color remover (for removing the old color before re-dyeing fabrics--you know, like Rit. But test first).

(Easiest to dry by standing/stomping on dry towel).

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
I am a liscensed proffesional carpet and upholstery cleaner as well as a computer geek.You more than likely set the stain with your previous attempts to remove it. Proffesional cleaners use a special chemical to remove red dye stains and I suggest you contact someone in the proffesion to get a hold of some of the stuff.

Red dye is the worst and hardeset stain to remove. Keep mustard and red popsycles off the carpet. You may never get them out.

sorry ,best advice I can give.:(