CRYSIS was so awesome! (Got some screenies. Big 56K warning)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 9, 2007
I made a small stunt video with Crysis. You can check it out if you want to know what is possible with CryEngine2 physics. This is me just messing a couple of hours on a singleplayer map with no cheats or hacks activated and no tweaking in Sandbox Editor.
There are NPC stunts, vehicle stunts, jumps, miscellaneous stuff and of course messing with chickens.
I set myself the challenge not to build something ridiculous in Sandbox2 but use the ingame levels (only Onslaught to be exact) and use what the game provided..so I died a lot.

Maximum Jackass Screengrab1
Maximum Jackass Screengrab2
Maximum Jackass Screengrab3
Maximum Jackass Screengrab4
Maximum Jackass Screengrab5
Maximum Jackass Screengrab6
Maximum Jackass Screengrab7
Maximum Jackass Screengrab8
Maximum Jackass Screengrab9
Maximum Jackass Screengrab10

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=iZk9AiqCJx4
"Maximum Jackass" on Youtube, it's 10minutes (90mb) long so the loading takes a while.

I uploaded it to Youtube but I have a higher quality version available (120MB) if someone or some site wants to host it. It's a Quicktime .h264, pretty good quality.
The Youtube one has lost the image clearity and sound fidelty...

I played on all high with some of Very High enabled on DX9 and XP.
I thought there would be hundreds of stunt videos but I didn't find too many quality ones so here is my contribution. :)

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: skace
When I first started reading Crysis reviews, one of the things I read was that the game mimicked Farcry and would have the same downfall because of it, which was that the 2nd half of the game got rid of human battles and thus took a step down. I'd just like to comment on the fact that while the 2 games do follow the same trend, I found the aliens in Crysis 10x more enjoyable to fight than in Farcry. The only problem is that you need to have smooth frame rates for the alien parts more so than the human parts because the aliens move very quickly. They will fly and change direction at the drop of a dime. Now, I can understand why this would create a negative experience for some people, because maybe they were getting by with 15 FPS throughout the game, chugging along and making due. Those same 15 FPS will make it nearly impossible for them to kill any of the aliens. This becomes even more true on the VTOL level and later. With smooth frame rates, these fights are incredibly fun and I love the way the aliens have unique attack patterns.

Crysis is also the only game I'd ever use the term next gen to describe.

I do agree as well. It's not as bad as FC. It also seems that you face them less time than the humans unlike far cry which was 1/2 human and 1/2 cyborg and mutatations. I think 3/4 of the game you're fighting human AI in Crysis.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
The gameplay is so boring that I am having a hard time continuing the game. I had the same problem with Far Cry.

I am about a few hours in, playing on the hardest difficulty. I know Korean so it's funny to listen to the NK troops. Honestly, I don't know what the big deal is about the game. Yea, it looks pretty, but it doesn't even come close to HL2 EP2 and CoD4 gameplay.

UPDATE: After a certain point, the game gets a lot more interesting and fun to play. Getting much better.

Aug 9, 2007
I think there are just two very different kinds of FPS players. One that likes freedom of choice and play, the other wants quick thrills and nonstop action.
The first likes Deus Ex, Far Cry, Crysis, the other kind loves Half-Life and Call of Duty.

I liked COD4 too but it was so linear and always the exact same that I'm glad I just rented it for the 6 hours of play. The game just didn't reward my tactical thinking. I often snuck behind enemy lines only to discover that they kept coming in endless waves, sometimes spawning behind me in spots I already had cleared. And after some necessary quickloads you get a feeling for where the thresholds for enemy activation in the level are and it gets very artificial.
On the surface everything looks really nice, the sniper mission for example, but try to play a tiny bit different than what the designers want you to see and do and you are stuck or dead.

HL2 Ep2 was entertaining but compared to COD4 or even to Crysis it was very dated.
Freeman still has no hands, no feet, no body and the gameplay elements are all on the level of 2004. The story seems to go nowhere to. It's just always Freeman starting in some train or train wreck, the G-man mumbles some blabla bullshit, another scientist from USA's Black Mesa suddenly appears in the Russian tundra for God's sake and the overall story arc seems to just stall. No wonder with the whole episodic concept.

cbuchach

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2000
I just got done with the game tonight. It is few and far between where a game actually captures my attention to make me finish it this quickly--I usually end up getting bored about half way through. Even though my video card (a x1900xt) didn't give me the best visual experience, the game was truly great. I was honestly just fun to play as a game should. I can't wait for the sequel!!

cbuchach

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2000
When I first started reading Crysis reviews, one of the things I read was that the game mimicked Farcry and would have the same downfall because of it, which was that the 2nd half of the game got rid of human battles and thus took a step down. I'd just like to comment on the fact that while the 2 games do follow the same trend, I found the aliens in Crysis 10x more enjoyable to fight than in Farcry. The only problem is that you need to have smooth frame rates for the alien parts more so than the human parts because the aliens move very quickly. They will fly and change direction at the drop of a dime. Now, I can understand why this would create a negative experience for some people, because maybe they were getting by with 15 FPS throughout the game, chugging along and making due. Those same 15 FPS will make it nearly impossible for them to kill any of the aliens. This becomes even more true on the VTOL level and later. With smooth frame rates, these fights are incredibly fun and I love the way the aliens have unique attack patterns.

Crysis is also the only game I'd ever use the term next gen to describe.

I definately had the fps problem, as soon as I hit the antigravity level with the fast moving aliens the low fps I was using became much more noticable, but the game was too much fun to quit.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i broke down and bought Crysis (only because i can get 20% cash back through paypal).

i don't get the AI. they can either see you from a mile away and even fnd you when you're cloaked or they just walk in a 5 foot circle looking for you.

i was in the woods and saw this patrol coming. i sit behind a rock, cloaked. they pass me and i shot one of the guys wth the dart that knocks them out. all of a sudden they all are alert and start looking for me. i shoot a few of them (another issue - why does it take a whole clip to kill 1 guy?) and run away, hiding behind some more rocks and cloak.
they immediately come to the rock i was behind and they see me through the cloak and start shooting. wtf?

and then another time, i'm in one of their bases. i am behind a dumpster lying prone and cloaked. i uncloak to test if they can see me. they can't. i shoot at one guy, not killing him, and go cloaked again. they all just walk in a circle thats like a few feet wide. i uncloak and shoot again. i stay uncloaked. they still walk in that small circle. they don't even attempt to look anywhere else.

and then the f-ing helicopter can see you through trees and everything.

oh, and one funny moment -
i was in some village and i picked up a chicken and threw it. it floated through the air and hit a wall and bounced back to me. lol. i caught it again and this tiem threw it up into the air. it rolled head over heals forever through the air until i couldn't see it any more. tried it with more chickens but they just flew a few feet and died. did i find a magic chicken or what?

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
I can hardly see it as revolutionary... evolutionary - yes but nothing extraordinary. Besides this and the beautiful graphics gameplay for me is rather a "meh", nothing extra. Are you sure you have played dozens of other shooters before...? :p

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Dacalo
The gameplay is so boring that I am having a hard time continuing the game. I had the same problem with Far Cry.

I am about a few hours in, playing on the hardest difficulty. I know Korean so it's funny to listen to the NK troops. Honestly, I don't know what the big deal is about the game. Yea, it looks pretty, but it doesn't even come close to HL2 EP2 and CoD4 gameplay.

UPDATE: After a certain point, the game gets a lot more interesting and fun to play. Getting much better.

Really? Where?

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
i was in some village and i picked up a chicken and threw it. it floated through the air and hit a wall and bounced back to me. lol. i caught it again and this tiem threw it up into the air. it rolled head over heals forever through the air until i couldn't see it any more. tried it with more chickens but they just flew a few feet and died. did i find a magic chicken or what?

You might have had your strength mod turned on when you threw the first chicken but not the rest.

And I can't offer you any advice on your AI issues, only that you probably have room for personal improvement.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex

You might have had your strength mod turned on when you threw the first chicken but not the rest.

And I can't offer you any advice on your AI issues, only that you probably have room for personal improvement.

:confused:

cirrhosis

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2005
I had the same issue but with frogs. It wasn't game-breaking or anything but was rather amusing. I would throw a frog into the air and it would hit something. Then instead of stopping it would just keep going, albiet more slowly and on a tangent until it disappeared into the sky.