Crysis Warhead

Candymancan21

Jun 8, 2009
Did they dumb down the graphics in crysis warhead? I just beat Crysis and im starting to play crysis warhead, and while atm its hard to tell because its nite on the first mission but i sware the graphics look differant. I was reading that they dumbed em down from the original and you can change it through the console commands. If this is true anyone know how to do it ?

How do i tell if im running in DX10 mode ?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It's about the same thing, but the Crysis Wars graphics are definitely toned down.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Four different answers :D

I was under the impression that Warhead was enhanced as far as visual quality, while also running a tad better? At least, this is what 'they' said; I noticed that it looked a bit more saturated (or something), but they both look great.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
At first I thought Warhead looked worse but I must say that the ice levels look awesome.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
What I heard from the devs and reviews was that Crysis Warhead graphics were improved and it ran better.

What I found after buying the game was the graphics seemed worse for about the same performance.

Maybe it wasn't a fair comparison, as I ran some custom Crysis scripts for a while (CCC) that I didn't run with Warhead. There seemed to be more popin with Warhead, but again I could have been comparing in my mind to my tweaked (with higher distance details) Crysis.

Nonetheless, both look amazing and run decently enough on my machine at good settings.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Crysis looks better to me. Warhead has a noticeably reduced draw distance for vegetation, and everything else is roughly the same. Warhead also loads content dynamically unlike the first game, which makes the game stutter whenever you enter a new area and the performance subjectively feels worse. This is particularly annoying in the train level, and I couldn't figure out any way to disable it.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: CP5670
Crysis looks better to me. Warhead has a noticeably reduced draw distance for vegetation, and everything else is roughly the same. Warhead also loads content dynamically unlike the first game, which makes the game stutter whenever you enter a new area and the performance subjectively feels worse. This is particularly annoying in the train level, and I couldn't figure out any way to disable it.

How much system ram do you have?

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Only 2GB back when I played it. It would be interesting to see if it behaves differently with more memory, but the highest memory usage I saw for it in the taskbar was 1.4GB. The content stayed in memory once the game had loaded it in, so for example, I could go through the entire train level with the stuttering, and then play through it again without any issues. I never saw anything like this in the original Crysis.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Crytek have said the graphics in warhead are better and run better and is more optimized.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
The biggest difference between the two for me was that Warhead has a whole bunch of stuff popping up very very obviously and it totally detracts from the experience.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yes, that is due to the smaller vegetation draw distance I mentioned earlier. You can really notice the difference with that.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CP5670
Yes, that is due to the smaller vegetation draw distance I mentioned earlier. You can really notice the difference with that.

The good thing is, as hardware catches up, config changes can manipulate that, and the quality of the rendering will increase.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
Just played through both back to back and didn't notice a difference in quality when running at max settings for both but I wasn't really looking for a difference. I did notice significantly better performance during outdoor fights with aliens which ran pretty poorly in Crysis but without a hitch in Warhead. Also didn't see the hitching in the train levels or if it did hitch was apparently a very small hiccup.

It was on Vista 64, 6GB RAM and a 295.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CountZero
Just played through both back to back and didn't notice a difference in quality when running at max settings for both but I wasn't really looking for a difference. I did notice significantly better performance during outdoor fights with aliens which ran pretty poorly in Crysis but without a hitch in Warhead. Also didn't see the hitching in the train levels or if it did hitch was apparently a very small hiccup.

It was on Vista 64, 6GB RAM and a 295.

I bet it looks pretty sweet maxxed out.