Crysis Warhead Announced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
As long as it involves fighting the North Koreans more than fighting the Aliens, I think it will be an enjoyable experience.

I would rather see a sequel though, as I can't see this advancing the story much, if at all.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Originally posted by: KaOTiK
Am I the only one to find this line funny ? lol

?We were very pleased with the reception of Crysis from both gamers and media after our launch last year,? said Cevat Yerli, CEO and President of Crytek

No, I thought it was pretty chuckalicious too.

Crysis has a weighted 91 score at metacritic which is a critical media success no matter how you slice it. http://www.metacritic.com/game...rms/pc/crysis?q=crysis

Sales started off slow in the holidays but it had sold over 1 million copies by February 1. Pretty good for a title most people couldn't run at anything higher than medium settings.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: jonks

?We were very pleased with the reception of Crysis from both gamers and media after our launch last year,? said Cevat Yerli, CEO and President of Crytek

No, I thought it was pretty chuckalicious too.

Crysis has a weighted 91 score at metacritic which is a critical media success no matter how you slice it. http://www.metacritic.com/game...rms/pc/crysis?q=crysis

Sales started off slow in the holidays but it had sold over 1 million copies by February 1. Pretty good for a title most people couldn't run at anything higher than medium settings.

yea and when they have 3-4 installments, and have an orange box type package, and more computers can handle the game, say in a year or two, and it sells for $20, they'll sell alot more. It's still a system ahead of its time.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Great, now I gotta buy a new video card in the fall and feel inadequate 2 months later :)

Seriously, I really enjoyed the first one and will probably pick up the next one when it comes out.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
milkin the cash cow...

I'd rather have a sequel than a parallel-quel. :)

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

There were many negative comments despite the high scores, if you glance over all of the Metacritic reviews. Most of those nail what's wrong with the game, but Yahtzee summed it up the best.

Support for multi-core was abysmal given the BS they spouted in the previews and the Intel dual/quad-core ads that were all over the site. They got panned for it by the fans and deservedly so. The last third of the game was a complete joke, especially the pathetic flying part. It was an overhyped tech demo for an engine which didn't perform/scale on the hardware of the time.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: TehMac

The game sold 3 million units. :confused:

But Cevat Yerli still complained that Crysis didn't sell as many copies as the top console games, and said they weren't going to stay a PC exclusive company.

Are you sure about that 3 million? Last news I heard was over a million.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I want to see Crytek make a game that DOESN'T involve an island. Or a jungle. Or a large body of water.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

There were many negative comments despite the high scores, if you glance over all of the Metacritic reviews. Most of those nail what's wrong with the game, but Yahtzee summed it up the best.

Support for multi-core was abysmal given the BS they spouted in the previews and the Intel dual/quad-core ads that were all over the site. They got panned for it by the fans and deservedly so. The last third of the game was a complete joke, especially the pathetic flying part. It was an overhyped tech demo for an engine which didn't perform/scale on the hardware of the time.

Never said it was perfect. Was merely contradicting the claim that the media reception was somehow lackluster. Those review scores are a publisher's wet dream. It won several game of the year awards as well.

Consumer reception, outside of internet forums where you can find people to swear up is down, was strong as well, if somewhat reserved and intimidated by the sys reqs. I showed Crysis to my friend who isn't into gaming and he was stunned at the visuals. People on here say stuff like "the graphics sucked" and normal people can only laugh. The fact that sales started off weak but then surged is testament to positive word of mouth.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Raduque
I want to see Crytek make a game that DOESN'T involve an island. Or a jungle. Or a large body of water.

Not me, that's typically what I love about their games. I am sick of games where I'm stuck trudging around in darkness 95% of the game.

KT

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
I wish they'd announce games 2 weeks before release. I am too goddamn impatient for this nonsense. ON the other hand, hopefully the release will coincide with nehalem

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004

yeah, haha, after he blasts the PC gaming community for stealing his game and not buying it...

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
The fact that sales started off weak but then surged is testament to positive word of mouth.

Or that people waited til they could pick it up for cheap and with upgraded hardware.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: jtvang125
Excellent! Now I get to see what that lazy bastard has been doing all that time on the other side of the island. He never helps when he's around and always conveniently shows up after I clear a village of enemies.

but i don't want to play as some ridiclously-accented brit named psycho ;) :p

Psycho was awesome.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: jtvang125
Excellent! Now I get to see what that lazy bastard has been doing all that time on the other side of the island. He never helps when he's around and always conveniently shows up after I clear a village of enemies.

but i don't want to play as some ridiclously-accented brit named psycho ;) :p

Psycho was awesome.

he was great as a secondary character, with the lines they gave him. i just can't envision me as him. i also loved jester's line at the frozen ship - "since when did the North Koreans have themselves a muthafuckin' freeze ray?" :laugh:

it'd be pretty cool if you got to play with the squadmates more, i think. still, i will probably end up buying this game :)

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, this looks kinda cool. I thought the demo was alright, didn't get the game. We'll see how the second one turns out. I thought the multiplayer was really lame for the original, lets hope this one is different in that area as well.