Crysis then and now

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: getbush
Originally posted by: DP
Hardly. I have a 7900GT and ran 20fps on all low gfx.

Your system more than likely won't run it(unless you like slide shows).

bs

<---- X850XT running 1280x1024 @ medium, 25fps.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
the graphics looks shitty now... it doesn't look like much of a jump from farcry.
Major disappointment

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Originally posted by: astroidea
the graphics looks shitty now... it doesn't look like much of a jump from farcry.
Major disappointment

lol, i'm hoping this post id a joke, but I'm fearing it's just uninformed.

Have you even played the demo on a halfway decent system?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: SexyK
Major disappointment
I've "played the demo on a halfway decent system" and the only way I can get playable frame rates is to take the details down to min and then it looks only marginally better than Far Cry on Med.

While playing Far Cry on my 7900GTX and A64 4800+ I can max everything out and set a res of 2048x1536 and get awesome frame rates as well.

As has been stated in many reviews on Crysis: there are details you cant really even see while moving around, but they hurt performance regardless.

Until the current gen cards get cheaper and/or the next gen cards come out, many of us will have to wait before truly enjoying the game.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Major disappointment

I have an 8800GTS with a C2D running at 2.5GHz
I need to have it turned down to 1024x768 @ medium settings just to have it run half decent.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre
Major disappointment

Totally disagree. Did you see this video schneiderguy posted above?
http://www.glassedgestudios.com/Verw3948JungleFight.wmv

Is that from the demo? It doesn't look too much like the demo.

It was a map created using the Sandbox editor.

I need to have it turned down to 1024x768 @ medium settings just to have it run half decent.

Yup, it's demanding, just as Crytek said it would be. They stated over and over that it'll be 12+ months after release until hardware is available that can play the game in all its glory.

Plus, the demo was not optimized for multi-core cpu's (nor SLI), however, the retail version certainly will be.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
some of the replies are hilarious..

regardless of what is true or speculated, this game is going to be fucking amazing and I can't wait.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Game looks and feels great from the demo....begs the question though, if the OP's comparison screeny is real, what the hell kind of equipment do Crytek have in their hot little hands to experiment with :p.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Major disappointment

I don't get it - I just started playing it last night with:
2.6ghz dual-core opteron
8800GTS 640 @ 600/900
2GB ddr

And it runs great @ 1280x1024 with most settings on high, except shadows, particles and post-processing on medium and no AA. I think it looks and plays awesome. No lag at all.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Major disappointment

Something is wrong.
I got 2.4 C2D, 3GB RAM and 7950GT. Works OK at 1280x1024 with everything on high under WinXP DX9 mode with no major slowdowns (exept the lagg at first)...
Plus your post is very funny :)

jmmtn4aj

Aug 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
They did the same thing with that Killzone game, pretending that it was being rendered realtime, as if someone was actually playing it. What's the point of doing that? People are going to find out in the end.

In the case of Crysis, it was probably setting a kind-of target. Since the best cards then (6800 or 7800?) didn't have the technology (SM4/DX10) to actually render the goodies in-game. Not without 1-2 fps trying to force it out in DX9 anyway.

So they probably rendered first, then hoped the graphics processing power slowly became available to have those goodies AND smooth gameplay around by launch time :)

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: adlep
Major disappointment

Something is wrong.
I got 2.4 C2D, 3GB RAM and 7950GT. Works OK at 1280x1024 with everything on high under WinXP DX9 mode with no major slowdowns (exept the lagg at first)...
Plus your post is very funny :)

hahaha
well let's see your amazing screenshots then.

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
Well from what I can tell, that first pic looks a lot different because of the motion blur (the concussion from a grenade - which is clearly exploding in the pic - causes the blur). On my system in DX10 I have had several moments that looked exactly like that first pic.