Crysis then and now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Even in that video the leaves just 'light' up, in the picture you see the leaf almost becoming transparent. Even if the screenshots aren't taken in the same place, it doesn't take a microscope to notice the difference between the foliage. Look at the ground for example, in pic one you can see stuff laying around, pieces of wood, leaves and what not, in picture two it's just a flat rocky surface,texture ? Game still looks good, but between those 2 screenshots, big discrepancy. And it's not slamming Crysis, it's just the way public relation bureaus try to create buzz about a game. You shouldn't buy the game because you think it looks like that first pic, you should buy the game after playing the demo.

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
This is sort of off topic for this thread, but has anyone tried Pre-ordering Crysis from family video and got the $5 off new member code? Its not working for me. Thanks!

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
Honestly, I've seen every object and render effect from the first screen in the demo. But in different areas of the level, and with different conditions. The second pic is in a barren section of thick 3rd canopy, so little sunlight filters, leaving the undergrowth with only ambient light. It's also early in the demo, before the sunrise, so you have no sharp lighting yet. Also, the entire demo has a low ceiling, so the sun rarely shines like it would on a clear day. Pre-rendered or not, we will soon be able to take a screenies nearly identical to the first.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
They did the same thing with that Killzone game, pretending that it was being rendered realtime, as if someone was actually playing it. What's the point of doing that? People are going to find out in the end.

Killzone 2 for PS3 is actually looking nearly the same as the target render video. Sony fed them money to make sure of that me thinks.

btw, I really hope that as new hardware comes out, they release updates. Seeing Crysis play with the lighting of that original shot would be glorious. :)

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I remember that original Crysis vid. While the real thing isn't nearly as good, it's still pretty amazing. But man, if it looked like the original...?!

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: schneiderguy
This map that someone made for the demo looks just as good as the promo video from 1 year ago. Basically if you choose the correct lighting and time of day settings for a map it will look almost exactly like what they showed in the trailers a year ago.

Where can we get that map?

Herrterror

Dec 6, 2005
Originally posted by: LightningRider
Even with these comparisons... Crysis still looks better than any other PC shooter out there today and really than any other PC game period (especially on highest settings)... So I don't think we can complain too much. Plus imagine if the game still did look like that? I don't think any of us could run it even with quad SLI.

And I'd take the Far Cry AI, even without an update, over the AI in any other game since.

Honestly, there hasn't been much to complain about. We aren't suffering 3-4 years of press and waiting and delays.

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
That's not overly impressive, it's simply a console command that can be used on standard hardware.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
The OP "screen shot" comparison is not apples to apples.

And... computer systems just flat out cannot render scenes like the top picture in the OP's post @ 30+ FPS. I've seen some tech demo's for the CryEngine which I have not seen public as of yet (not that I've looked that hard). The stuff was full movie CG quality but probably rendered at 1-2 FPS.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH
The OP "screen shot" comparison is not apples to apples.

And... computer systems just flat out cannot render scenes like the top picture in the OP's post @ 30+ FPS. I've seen some tech demo's for the CryEngine which I have not seen public as of yet (not that I've looked that hard). The stuff was full movie CG quality but probably rendered at 1-2 FPS.

Not only that but it sure does seem like they captured the least attractive frame possible as well. The demo gameplay videos I have seen look much better than that screencap.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: bamacre
This map that someone made for the demo looks just as good as the promo video from 1 year ago. Basically if you choose the correct lighting and time of day settings for a map it will look almost exactly like what they showed in the trailers a year ago.

I feel better now. That video looked good.

Yeah that video definitely raised my spirits. I installed the demo, but haven't tried it out yet (addicted to bioshock). I'll have to give it a run tonight.

I think we're still a generation or two away from what that first picture in the OP looks like. Frankly when I see the screenshots of Crysis, some of them look pretty damn similar to FarCry. I can't wait to get away from cartoony and more into photo-realism.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenoth
It makes me laugh when people around complain about Crysis running at 15 FPS on max settings. I wonder if those persons ever wondered if the GeForce 8 and Radeon HD2900 were the very last generation of GPU's to ever see the light of the day in the rest of humanity's existence. It's as if every single game of so called "next generation" HAD TO run at 60FPS on this OLD generation.

Look, guys, this is what we call a regular evolution cycle.

Have the gaming community of the PC platform FORGOT about that ?!

1) New GPU Gen is made
2) That new Gen runs somewhat old-to-recent games much better
3) It lasts so for a year or so
4) New game generations arrive
5) The GPU Gen in question starts to show signs of age
6) New game generation pushes the envelop of today's GPU Gen
7) People complain about it
8) Newer GPU Gen is released
9) People don't complain about it anymore
10) Everyone is happy for a year or so ...

And the cycle resumes. So, are the GTX owners getting frustrated that their little puppy can't run ANY games at 40+ FPS now ? I think so. Just face it, Crysis is the BEGINNING of a new gaming era, it really is just the tip of an iceberg to come, and everyone is going to need a special new boat to resist the impact on that one.

New gaming area? A game that I played years ago called Far-Cry is the same thing...new graphics...big wooptey doo.

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
It makes me laugh when people around complain about Crysis running at 15 FPS on max settings. I wonder if those persons ever wondered if the GeForce 8 and Radeon HD2900 were the very last generation of GPU's to ever see the light of the day in the rest of humanity's existence. It's as if every single game of so called "next generation" HAD TO run at 60FPS on this OLD generation.

1) New GPU Gen is made

And the cycle resumes. So, are the GTX owners getting frustrated that their little puppy can't run ANY games at 40+ FPS now ? I think so. Just face it, Crysis is the BEGINNING of a new gaming era, it really is just the tip of an iceberg to come, and everyone is going to need a special new boat to resist the impact on that one.

New gaming area? A game that I played years ago called Far-Cry is the same thing...new graphics...big wooptey doo.

"Era: a memorable or important date or event; especially : one that begins a new period in the history of a person or thing."

Say what you want about the game play or story line (even if you'd be basing your statements off only a demo), but there is no denying that Crysis marks the beginning of a new period in the history of PC gaming based on the visual detail offered by the game alone. Can you seriously argue that it's not the first title in a new era of PC gaming graphically? If you think Far Cry is the same thing, you need glasses.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Where can we get that map?

Here is the map creator's thread, he hasn't released it yet.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd

1) New GPU Gen is made

A game we all played years ago called Half Life was re-hashed recently too! Half-Life2 was the same game with spiffy graphics and a couple nifty tools... BFD its was more of the same with a new paint job

/sarcasm

New story. New Character. New powers/weapons. Gee... its that same as every other FPS since doom... change the scenery, keep the same guns, tell a slighltly different story. NO FPS is terribly unique... it's a genre with different toppings on the same food.

People can find anything to nitpick with enough time and boredom on their hands

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
What is everyone worried about anyway? Like schneider said, the OP's screeny is no different than verw's video. That's what it looks like for me on DX10 ultra already. The only real differences are the types and amounts of foliage. I think he may have upped the value on the light shafts, but woopty friggin doo it's the same game.

And if you miss Far Cry's AI, you'll not be dissapointed. The only major thing I noticed is far less glitching.

Edit: I also noticed that the sun is low in the sky even at noon, which would equal winter in korea, but I thought the demo was supposed to be the Philippines...

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
This almost makes me want to buy a new computer.
Almost...I'm too busy working and studying. :)

BTW, my current comp is an old P4 2.4GHz, 786MB ram with a Radeon 9700. Would farcry work ok on that?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Harabec
BTW, my current comp is an old P4 2.4GHz, 786MB ram with a Radeon 9700. Would farcry work ok on that?

At 1024x768 with some of the settings turned to medium, it'll run ok.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
In the first pic every bit of foliage is projecting a shadow on every other bit of foliage. There is no 'cheating' by omitting some of the shadows. The amount of processing power needed to do that in real time is astronomical, and I'm pretty sure the Crytek team knew right from the start they wouldn't be able to do that in the final game.

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Harabec

At 1024x768 with some of the settings turned to medium, it'll run ok.

Hardly. I have a 7900GT and ran 20fps on all low gfx.

Your system more than likely won't run it(unless you like slide shows).

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DP
Hardly. I have a 7900GT and ran 20fps on all low gfx.

Your system more than likely won't run it(unless you like slide shows).

bs