Crysis remastered

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Running on Switch:

I'm very interested to see side-by-side comparison when it comes to the PC. Also multi-core performance.

Reactions: Elfear

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I personally really enjoyed the original Crysis and Warhead. The story and gameplay were fantastic.

I'm guessing they're remastering it to make it more available to people, since the only people that actually played Crysis were either rich or benchmarkers doing canned runs. Which is just sad since it's truly a game worth experiencing.

I'm in for a copy.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I personally really enjoyed the original Crysis and Warhead. The story and gameplay were fantastic.

I'm guessing they're remastering it to make it more available to people, since the only people that actually played Crysis were either rich or benchmarkers doing canned runs. Which is just sad since it's truly a game worth experiencing.

I'm in for a copy.

Not really true. To run it maxed out you needed a very good GPU. But turning down just a few settings (like shadows) would let it run without issue on even mid range machines.

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
I'll wait for the remastered remaster that includes a second pass of basic optimizations.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Not really true. To run it maxed out you needed a very good GPU. But turning down just a few settings (like shadows) would let it run without issue on even mid range machines.

You could get decent results using medium quality settings at lower resolutions, but 2007-2008 was around the time that 1080p was becoming mainstream.

A decent amount of people stayed away from it due to the implied requirements. Like I said, most people didn't actually play it. I don't recall ever speaking to another gamer that played through the campaign. Whenever I tried to discuss the game as more than just a benchmark people's eyes would glaze over because they had zero idea or just think I was nuts.

You also have to remember people didn't spend nearly as much on GPUs back in the day. $200-300 was a lot to spend on graphics power back then for the average user. Now, that's an accepted baseline 1080p card.

There were a lot of factors working against Crysis actually being a played game and not just a benchmarking tool.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
You could get decent results using medium quality settings at lower resolutions, but 2007-2008 was around the time that 1080p was becoming mainstream.

A decent amount of people stayed away from it due to the implied requirements. Like I said, most people didn't actually play it. I don't recall ever speaking to another gamer that played through the campaign. Whenever I tried to discuss the game as more than just a benchmark people's eyes would glaze over because they had zero idea or just think I was nuts.

You also have to remember people didn't spend nearly as much on GPUs back in the day. $200-300 was a lot to spend on graphics power back then for the average user. Now, that's an accepted baseline 1080p card.

There were a lot of factors working against Crysis actually being a played game and not just a benchmarking tool.

Actual sales figures say the opposite. The game sold 1 million copies in the first two months after release. And while that pales in comparison to some of todays giants, the game was considered a success. By 2010, the first game had sold 3 million copies, as well as 1.5 million for warhead. I owned a mid range system at the time (With a 1650x1050 display), and had no issues playing through it.

Claiming the game was a failure because of anecdotal "I don't know anybody that played it" is just ignoring actual data.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007

What are you talking about? Everyone I know (offline and online) who bought Crysis, played Crysis. My system struggled to play it on High settings, but once I dropped most stuff to Medium, I played through it time and time again.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
What are you talking about? Everyone I know (offline and online) who bought Crysis, played Crysis. My system struggled to play it on High settings, but once I dropped most stuff to Medium, I played through it time and time again.

Exactly. Drop a few settings down, game still looked great, and played well. Most of the system killer settings offered very little visual difference.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
My entire point was that very few people actually played the game and experienced the story and I'll be glad to see this getting another chance for more people to experience the full game. Stop twisting my words into things I didn't say.

Stop making me repeat myself.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
My entire point was that very few people actually played the game and experienced the story and I'll be glad to see this getting another chance for more people to experience the full game. Stop twisting my words into things I didn't say.

Stop making me repeat myself.

Your point is wrong though. In 2008 Crysis was the 17th best selling PC game of the year (note that it came out in November of 2007). Sure, 17 isn't a top 5 game or something, but considering how many games come out in a year, being in the top twenty makes it a long ways from "very few played it". And like I said before, the game sold 3 million copies. Also a long ways from 'very few'.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Sales do not equate to people actually playing through the campaign. That's as loose a projection of metrics as my, obviously anecdotally mentioned "I've spoken to no one that's actually played the game."

I don't know why you're so fixated on misinterpreting my point.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Sales do not equate to people actually playing through the campaign. That's as loose a projection of metrics as my, obviously anecdotally mentioned "I've spoken to no one that's actually played the game."

Well I do not know anyone who bought Crysis that didn't play the game, some have played it through more than once. You should not claim "very few" without clarifying that you mean you, yourself & your shadow. I myself have played through it twice (once Medium, once maxed out & modded few years later), remastered will make 3 times.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
A lot of people buy games and never play all the way through them. I had crysis for years, never really made it past the first or second level on a number of false starts until finally buckling in and going all the way though and Warhead as well very recently on my backlog spree.

In the age of Steam, I don't think "purchases" necessarily equals anything like playthroughs or even launched the game.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007

Because your point is wrong. You made the claim that very few people who purchased the game, played through the game, which is asinine since you have absolutely zero evidence to back up that claim other than the anecdotal response you had. Trying to make a claim off ignorance rarely ends well for the person making it.

Reactions: Stuka87

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Crysis looked absolutely awful at medium/low details, especially at low resolutions without AA. Such settings were the norm in 2007. I first played it on a 8800U which was far faster than most people, but it was an unpleasant experience.

The 2060 Super is the first video card I've owned that can actually play it properly. By that I mean 1440p with all details maxed and 2xTrSS, with a locked 66FPS target.

Last edited:

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Looks pretty good:

Unfortunately it's tied to the cancerous Epic store.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Looks good overall, but there's something sort of "off" with the water. Artistically-speaking it's beautiful but it's "too clean" / too virbant, not sure how to put it. But yeah looks good overall. I wonder what the original Far Cry would look like now with a remaster. I think I'd like to see it. I mean with today's standards and tech. I know it was done I think around 2013? But yeah, now would make some nice differences.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Looks good overall, but there's something sort of "off" with the water. Artistically-speaking it's beautiful but it's "too clean" / too virbant, not sure how to put it. But yeah looks good overall. I wonder what the original Far Cry would look like now with a remaster. I think I'd like to see it. I mean with today's standards and tech. I know it was done I think around 2013? But yeah, now would make some nice differences.

A faithful Far Cry remaster would be amazing, unfortunately I don't have much hope of it turning out great.

Its one of the few games with health packs(no regen), no iron sights, etc.. Its a classic FPS from the era of Half Life.

Man I have so much nostalgia thinking about it, the menu theme song...gives me goose bumps. I still got the original box, the manual, 8 discs. I got that from Walmart for $20 bucks, what a steal.

user00007

Sep 4, 2020
Hey guys, sorry for the bump, but do you know if Crysis Remastered will include new Missions?

Last edited:

Vegasus

Jul 27, 2016
Which API does the PC version use? I've read various reports of DX11, DX12 and Vulkan. I have an RX 480 so either DX12 or Vulkan will run more efficiently for me than DX11.

Last edited:

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Which API does the PC version use? I've read various reports of DX11, DX12 and Vulkan. I have an RX 480 so either DX12 or Vulkan will run more efficiently for me than DX11.
Dx11 and its still single thread.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I heard that software ray tracing does not show an npc next to you in water reflections in Crysis Remastered, but it does show you. And if hardware ray tracing is in effect then it shows both you and the npc in the reflection in a pond, river or other water. If anyone's verified this yet, don't know.

I'll find out about it later because I still have to update my Nvidia gpu drivers to get hardware ray tracing to show up for this game. They're fine for Metro Exodus and BF5 ray tracing but apparently not for this one. Not looking forward to updating them but have to if I want to get the extra eye candy.