Crysis remastered

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If the remaster does nothing but update the underlying engine to support more threads, it will be something of a win.

There are certainly worse ways to keep interest in a franchise alive than kicking out a remaster every now and again. Better still if existing owners get to grab the remaster for free (doubt that's the case here).

I played through Crysis fairly recently (Warhead is still on my backlog docket) and the graphics are kinda weird where they're really great even by modern standards in some respects, but absolutely terrible in others. Runs like butter on my signature system.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I liked Crysis, wasn't 'amazing', but I enjoyed enough of it. I did prefer the pacing and overall campaign structure of Warhead, however. A remaster for Crysis won't exactly make me buy it though. I didn't like the game enough to replay it just because of updated graphics. If they remastered the first Far Cry instead I'd definitely be in.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I play some Crysis even few years for nostalgia and the last time I tried I couldn't select 5760x1080. The res was topped at 1980x1020.

I never had any trouble selecting multiple monitors natively before. I don't know what the problem is. I even uninstalled and reinstalled. Same issue. I tried everything.

Did I forget about some stupid simple step?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
This is the worst trend since QTEs. It was cool that a few of our childhood favorites were getting remastered, but now they are just remastering everything that was in the spotlight 15+ years ago. Ten years from now, they will have nothing to remaster except remasters of older remasters.

Reactions: Igo69

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
But can it run Crysis remastered?

Didn't you know the new meme 2020 is can it run minecraft?
minecraftmeme.jpg

There is also this...
why-my-computer-can-run-crisis-on-high-def-but-cant-run-minecraft-aliens

But on a serious note, i hear the remake is just with raytracing added, to boost nvidia sales on the RTX, which btw minecraft also got, and i hear its broken in hardware reqs.

Sigh... the day when minecraft was broken in hw req, makes me almost want to crawl back into the console hole we have.
in-case-you-wanted-to-know-what-16-graphics-cards-18825720.png

Last edited:

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
This is the worst trend since QTEs. It was cool that a few of our childhood favorites were getting remastered, but now they are just remastering everything that was in the spotlight 15+ years ago. Ten years from now, they will have nothing to remaster except remasters of older remasters.

Companies are getting greedy. They are out of ideas, new good story, good game play, and new graphics cost a lot of money and even that doesn't garantee it will be successful. Remastering old games that were very successful usually bring money fast for cheap.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i really enjoyed crysis 1. i loved how alien the aliens were. crysis 3 was pretty good too. mostly because of the bow. crysis 2 was the worst by far. i really didn't like making the ceph humanoid or otherwise bipeds. that makes them like every other alien. i liked the floaty guys of crysis 1 and the mechanical super quadruped thing that was the true final boss (because the actual last boss of crysis 1 was lame by comparison. just like witcher 3, the actual last boss wasn't the real one).

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I really did enjoy the hard sci-fi turn Crysis took half way through, really helped it stand out from other ho-hum gung-ho military shooters that take themselves too seriously.

There were definitely issues with the gameplay: all the foliage in the game really just got in the way of the player while popping one NPC had an entire camp descending on your position unless you used the active camo suit feature.

Mar 11, 2004
Didn't you know the new meme 2020 is can it run minecraft?
minecraftmeme.jpg

There is also this...
why-my-computer-can-run-crisis-on-high-def-but-cant-run-minecraft-aliens

But on a serious note, i hear the remake is just with raytracing added, to boost nvidia sales on the RTX, which btw minecraft also got, and i hear its broken in hardware reqs.

Sigh... the day when minecraft was broken in hw req, makes me almost want to crawl back into the console hole we have.
in-case-you-wanted-to-know-what-16-graphics-cards-18825720.png

I kinda doubt that seeing as how even the Switch is supposed to run some ray-tracing (as are the current consoles).

Was Crytek the one that showed off their own ray-tracing running at 60fps on like Vega 56 awhile back? Think it might have been at 4K too?

Companies are getting greedy. They are out of ideas, new good story, good game play, and new graphics cost a lot of money and even that doesn't garantee it will be successful. Remastering old games that were very successful usually bring money fast for cheap.

Eh, I think that's the wrong way to look at things. For one, remasters are often given to 3rd party devs that are inexperienced and don't have the resources or experience to do their own games yet. A lot of development studios got started that way, including big name ones, where they were doing ports and stuff, and that got them experience and work which helped them then make their own games (or other newer games).

Plus, people want their games to be playable, and a lot of games wouldn't be without period correct hardware/software without being remastered. This lets people continue to play older games. Sometimes they even include extras or update things that didn't age well (think some of the Doom ports for instance added modern mouse controls?).

Its not like you have to buy it so complaining about game companies being greedy is silly.

The last thing is, for some people its their first experience with said game, which helps get fans.

Reactions: rivethead

loki1944

Apr 23, 2020

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I kinda doubt that seeing as how even the Switch is supposed to run some ray-tracing (as are the current consoles).

Was Crytek the one that showed off their own ray-tracing running at 60fps on like Vega 56 awhile back? Think it might have been at 4K too?
Yep, if it runs on Switch up to PC with ray tracing, no way is the engine going to be slow. Like Resident Evil Revelations that runs on 3DS all the way up to PC. Or IDTech 7 (Doom Eternal) which also scales all the way down to Switch.

I think think the ray tracing will be similar to what Valve did with HDR back in the day. They didn't use hardware FP buffers but it ran fast on anything and still looked really good.

I'd rather have Far Cry 2 remastered to be honest.
Far Cry 2 doesn't need it, it still looks absolutely gorgeous 12 years later:

farcry2.jpg

The Dunia implementation they used is one of the finest engines ever made. It ran really fast on anything at release and still looks amazing to this day.

It also runs superbly on Windows 10 with modern hardware. I can max out all game details at 5K on my 2060s and it's still well over 60FPS.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Its OK to remake video games if you fix lots of errors with things like interface, story, certain elements of the gameplay loop, and maybe add features that were glaringly absent to begin with.
Films dont have that problem and as such, do not generally need remakes.

I'd love fixed and updates versions of KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 but even though thats something we actually need, it will probably never happen.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yep, if it runs on Switch up to PC with ray tracing, no way is the engine going to be slow. Like Resident Evil Revelations that runs on 3DS all the way up to PC. Or IDTech 7 (Doom Eternal) which also scales all the way down to Switch.

I think think the ray tracing will be similar to what Valve did with HDR back in the day. They didn't use hardware FP buffers but it ran fast on anything and still looked really good.

Far Cry 2 doesn't need it, it still looks absolutely gorgeous 12 years later:

farcry2.jpg

The Dunia implementation they used is one of the finest engines ever made. It ran really fast on anything at release and still looks amazing to this day.

It also runs superbly on Windows 10 with modern hardware. I can max out all game details at 5K on my 2060s and it's still well over 60FPS.
2060s ? Is SLI still a thing and.... if it is, is it not painful?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Its OK to remake video games if you fix lots of errors with things like interface, story, certain elements of the gameplay loop, and maybe add features that were glaringly absent to begin with.
Films dont have that problem and as such, do not generally need remakes.

I'd love fixed and updates versions of KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 but even though thats something we actually need, it will probably never happen.
I get that, but Crysis didn't have that many glaring flaws other than a certain cinematic bug and the fact that the game ran horrible on most setups (still experienced occasional dips and micro-stutters on my system). Crysis still looks good to this day and instead of making an all-new game, they want to give us the same thing we played a decade ago, but now instead of getting brown jagged geometry flying around, we get detailed brown geometry flying around when things explode.

Reactions: mopardude87

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Looks like it release is now delayed.

This feels like a marketing stunt. How can the teaser trailer and an acknowledgement that that things are bad and need to be delayed happen on the same damn day?

If things moved that fast, it was because crytek was already behind schedule, knew they had a turd on their hands,and prepped to make it look like being behind was being responsible to people's disappointment.