Discussion Crysis 4

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

Will it be the next Crysis?

I played through OG Crysis and Warhead recently. Ok games, but the core gameplay felt a bit skimpy and the enemy AI was almost comically efficient. God forbid your toe sticks out of a thicket of bushes, a NK soldier 5 miles away will spot it and start filling you with holes.

Major issue with these "foliage" games: Humans can't see through it, but the AI can.

Crysis is exactly the sort of series that would hugely benefit from a progression system (skill tree or upgrades or something) as well as fleshed out stealth kill mechanics.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I thought Warhead was much better from a gameplay and story perspective.

Too bad Crytek wont be making another Far Cry or a remaster. A sequel to the original would have been fun. How many first person shooters do we get with "Island of Doctor Moreau" setting these days?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The Farcry series belongs to Ubisoft and they went and did their own thing with it (which is why Crysis even exists).

Farcry is never going back to Crytek.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I actually liked the original Crysis. Of course, the visuals was the main 'gimmick' (maybe alongside the character's suit and the on-UI-interaction gun mods), but in terms of just the video game that it was overall it really wasn't bad at all. The sun rise at the beach early on was very impressive (and the water too, was amazing at the time). In terms of gameplay it was alright but what distinguished it the most for me - which I still recall to this day - was in fact one portion of the game that apparently the majority disliked; the 'alien ship' (or alien level) map. Where you're basically in a zero-gravity alien environment and you need to find your way around, and out of there. I actually loved that part of the game, because otherwise it really was just a very impressive 'tech demo' sort of the game in the grand scheme of things.

Then some time later I played (and finished) Warhead, and in terms of story and overall pacing in each levels I thought it was overall better. But that alien level from the first game I thought was still great. Then more years pass, comes Crysis 2, I skip it originally and played it only when I finally got it for a bargain on Origin. I think I played up to the mid section of the second level, or maybe it was the third level (basically about 1 or 2 hours in after you first enter the city proper). I thought that the gameplay per se was 'ok', nothing too bad, nothing too crazy; but the actual story and setting felt off, can't really put my finger on what 'went wrong' for me so to speak. But basically I stopped playing it maybe a total of about 5 or 6 hours in and I never touched it again since. That's where my Crysis series experience stopped really.

I've seen footage and watched a very short part of a full playthrough of Crysis 3 on YouTube some years ago, but yeah, 'short' because I watched maybe 30 or 40 minutes out of it and then went and did other things. I'm not really interested in the continuity of this franchise to be frank, even though I can say that the first game wasn't bad at all (like a 7 out of 10 maybe) and Warhead was a pretty solid FPS game on its own (maybe an 8/10). By comparison Crysis 2 felt rushed, too compact and things happened too quickly with very little reasons or explanations (and if there was supposed to be any mystery and things to resolve along the way then I completely missed the mark on that, probably because the setting and pacing and story just failed to immerse me).

If they do make Crysis 4 then I'm sure it'll be visually impressive, if anything.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I agree that I actually started enjoying the game more when the Aliens show up. The game became more of a straight up and down shooter rather than leaning too heavily on gimicky suite mechanics like it did in the first half.

There were some levels that I just turned on max speed and ran to the end because I got tired of the absurd "kill enemy, cloak, kill enemy, cloak" gameplay.

Warhead definitely was an all around tighter experience. It was a funny game because it didn't really include any new art assets so the whole game just felt like crysis with all the wandering around the jungle nonsense cut out. Otherwise it was the exact same locations (jungle base/factory/navy ship/docks/etc) remixed.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I still remember playing the first Far Cry right when it came out on what was then a pretty high end gaming rig I had built myself. My friend was a console player but he got into PC gaming a little bit when that came out. We'd take turns playing while the other watched and just oooing and ahhhing at the insane graphics and immersion. There were a few nights where our buddies were all going out and they had to drag us both away from my PC kicking and screaming and then we'd just talk about the game the whole car ride to wherever we were going to party.