happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Any news on a Crysis 4 game? I googled it and there is not much info.
So far I got that's its not gonna be a FPS and might release this year.

thanks

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Make your own?

CryEngine is essentially free, and HumbleBundle has a sweet deal on a huge package of CryEngine assets.

That reminds me, I need to lock myself in a license for CryEngine.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Make your own?

CryEngine is essentially free, and HumbleBundle has a sweet deal on a huge package of CryEngine assets.

That reminds me, I need to lock myself in a license for CryEngine.

Yea, I'm going to have to buy the Humble Bumble too. That's just too sweet of a deal. There's enough material to make a Skyrim+Forza game where you fight across a midevil map to rescue a princess and the final boss is an indy car race around the castle.

Crytek made plenty of money on these assets, and I can see why now is a good time for them to hedge their bets on building a larger community of devs versus trying to milk their existing IP.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Isn't crytek no more in that they aren't developing games? Did I read that correctly a while back or no?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I made this from scratch in about 20 minutes

started with a blank height map, used my mouse to create some mountains, then used the texture and layer paints to make the basic terrain. Then I just painted trees and crap all over it.

I can't imagine what I could do with all the assets from the Humble Bundle

Looking around the map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvdoMB64mfA

Fixed view of the sunset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Fu6muIPhM

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
TechBoy is right - you can have tons of fun in CE without knowing a lick of code. You can build terrain and paint textures, adjust the lighting, have triggers for music and events, and even place NPCs and select their behaviors and navigation without having to dig into any of the code / scripts.

Here's a brief video of a forest-y map I threw together a long time back in CE2. I placed a lot of enemy NPCs in it too...just for some fun firefights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGc6DxF3bm0

I haven't spent as much time in CE3, but I did build a big map with some music triggers. Here's a screen:

screenie.jpg

I tried to make a swamp in it, but never quite got it where I wanted. So much fun though.

mymap2.jpg

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Yea, I love it. My friend and I actually worked on a map that had a loading level screen, spawned you with a team of NPC's in a VTOL that flew into an area of the map, landed, etc. Then everyone got out and ran to a small village I put together where enemy npc's were..

Then we scripted it so that when you got down to the last guy, aliens spawned and started attacking everyone.

End result? A fun little map that took about 20 minutes of serious playing to conquer.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Yea, I love it. My friend and I actually worked on a map that had a loading level screen, spawned you with a team of NPC's in a VTOL that flew into an area of the map, landed, etc. Then everyone got out and ran to a small village I put together where enemy npc's were..

Then we scripted it so that when you got down to the last guy, aliens spawned and started attacking everyone.

End result? A fun little map that took about 20 minutes of serious playing to conquer.

I miss how active the CE modding community used to be. There were some really good playable maps created during that period.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I bought the humble bundle..

Holy sheet.. these asset packs are huge and raw. The vehicle pack alone is like 15GB.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Would love another Crysis level jump in graphic quality, but its only been 3 years since Crysis 3 came out. A little soon by their standards.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I was going to give CryTek money for their engine, but the first time around I created an account they kept saying username/password incorrect even though I could reset my password for that account all I wanted. The second account I made worked fine, but I'm not attaching my credit card to that crappy system.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
I made this from scratch in about 20 minutes

started with a blank height map, used my mouse to create some mountains, then used the texture and layer paints to make the basic terrain. Then I just painted trees and crap all over it.

I can't imagine what I could do with all the assets from the Humble Bundle

Looking around the map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvdoMB64mfA

Fixed view of the sunset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Fu6muIPhM

Not quite what you'd call a "game" though.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
The last two games were an insult to the Crysis brand, and I'd rather they just closed the book on it at this point.

I think Crytek games are pretty crappy in general, but have some of the best graphics you'll ever see. Yes, Ryse, Crysis, and Evolve.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I like to explore and plan and replay objectives from several different approaches, but I know I'm probably one of a minority.

I do as well, and with the excellent mods out there (Tactical Expansion), you can really bump up the AI difficulty.

I still run through this game at least once a year, and it never disappoints me.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Crysis 2 and 3 the most underrated FPS of all times.

I agree. Crysis 2, especially with maldomod (sp?) and high rez textures still looks AAA in 2016.

Crysis 3 is still top of the heap imho. Maybe Witcher 3 is better looking, but when you max out Crysis 3, it looks insane. Especially the level 'Fields'. All of those free flowing tall grass blades... mmmmmmm

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
The reason I'm most disappointed with Crysis 2 and 3 is their divergence from the original Crysis gameplay mechanics.

Ubisoft actually took the FarCry series in the direction I was hoping Crytek would take Crysis.

C2 and 3 are decent linear FPS. I played through and completed both, but I have little desire to replay either one.

Crysis, on the other hand, I've played entirely over a dozen times.

Last edited: