Crysis 3: Thoughts?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Mine keeps crashing after I defeated the alpha ceph on the platform. The first time I was on the vtol trying to free Michael from the harness and now it is happening each time I try to reload the level as I try to return to the same point in the game. I'm not happy with this bug and a repair installed didn't correct it.

I had same glitch.. i got through it by scaling back the graphics settings.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Mine keeps crashing after I defeated the alpha ceph on the platform. The first time I was on the vtol trying to free Michael from the harness and now it is happening each time I try to reload the level as I try to return to the same point in the game. I'm not happy with this bug and a repair installed didn't correct it.

I had a bug during the final boss battle where I couldn't fire my gun or switch weapons! The funny thing is, I just stayed still so he could kill me, and it was taking him like 5+ mins. Which is strange because when I was running around fighting him I died quicker. lol Anyways, I eventually just restarted to the checkpoint.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
One thing I find off putting is the game implies you can use stealth to take out the enemies or bypass them. To a certain degree you can, but out of nowhere they can spot your toe 75m away. I am assuming they must have seen some part of me behind cover, but they were far enough away that I could tell if they were looking at me. Another time, I used the scanner to make sure no one was around. I hacked a crate and was looking at the goodies and a guy spawned right behind me. Then all of a sudden there was another one down the stairs. And I literally scanned the whole area seconds before. And then there are scripted confrontations, so that you have to play a certain way.

Also, you can't pick up bodies. Makes no point sneaking up behind someone or hitting them with an arrow when the guards see the body from across the frickin level. I'm not overly impressed with the game, but I do like looking at the environments. This would have been excellent if you had more freedom.

That nails my experience as well. Graphics are nice, but gameplay I have found is lacking and a joke overall. I'd give the game a 7.1 out of 10. I usually would only get into 8.5+ games. But graphics smooth out the shitty gameplay. I'd say my last similar gaming experience was Unreal 2. A gorgeous game but unrewarding and sloppy game mechanics/gameplay.

Edit: I should add that on my HD5770 I get 30-45fps at 1080P with high textures, medium system spec, noAA. I'd rather run at 720P and high with FXAA but the game has a 50hz bug at that resolution for me. My desktop at 720P60 is fine but crysis 3 is grabbing 720P50 for some reason. I've always had res issues with crysis in one form or another.

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011

I just finished the game. Some additional thoughts:

The Good:

1. It ended up being a blast. I had quite a lot of fun. Lots of varied enemies (which solved my premature complaint), CRAPTONS of weapons, vehicles, and good boss fights. I was thoroughly impressed when they had a suit-less moment which allowed for more in-depth game.

2. I also take back about 'Room A to B' complaint. The levels are varied enough. Some have quite an open area with few ways/orders to clear them. I didn't feel so claustrophobic like I did at first 5-10 hours of the game.

3. Did I mention the game is beautiful? Absolutely amazing. This is the top-of-the-line graphics of gaming today, boys.

The Bad: (spoilers ahead)

1. What the fvck? I thought the suit-less moment was about half way into the game... I figured he would get his power back, disable one worm hole, then go around to shut down others (2-3 more) throughout the world as they indicated. Then fight the big boss. Nope, the suit-less moment was the END of the game. Total game play was like 17-23 hours? What the hell man.

2. The suit upgrade gave an impression that game would be MUCH longer. I imagined you would unlock most modules, and appropriately switch suit configurations often to battle really hard enemies later on. NOPE. So you started in NYC, disabled their power supply, destroyed the dam, then awoke the Alpha Celph, fought 1 mentionable mini-boss, then end up underground, killed Alpha Celph already? wtf? I don't mind shorter games... but this is SO short.

The Ugly:

When I killed the mini boss, bunch of debris fell on me and I was underground... but then suddenly I'm in the space? How the hell does that work? Also the suit is marginally strong enough to withstand heavy artillery. You also lose about a half of energy if you fall from 100 ft. The same suit suddenly can withstand being in space and take a motherfvcking freefall from stratosphere back to Earth?

What. the. hell?

Oh, the orbital strike can be operated from space via their on-board interface? wtf.

They could've added a plot device about the suit having a temporary super power to survive the space, rather than giving it an unrealistic ability that's inconsistent with the entire gameplay & plot. Just because it's a mainstream game, that doesn't give you the excuse to provide a straight-up stupid ending.

Overall, the game is fun. But it could've been so so so much more. So much more quite easily too since all the groundwork was laid by the game (suit upgrades, weapons, etc). I wonder if the game was rushed?

I got this game with lots of skepticism. I was pleasantly surprised.

Pros:

- Probably the most visually beautiful game on the market now. I nearly orgasmed when they showcased the NYC for the first time.

- The engine seems to be incredibly well optimized. I thought it was gonna crawl on my $500 budget system (i3-2120, HD6870), but it runs very well at 30-40 FPS on everything Medium at 1920x1080. I'm just shocked how a game can look this good on my system. Even on everything low settings, the game looks great, WTF? I can't even tell the difference between High and Very High.

- Great presentation on cut scenes, interface, acting, and level briefing. I guess that's expected on a triple-A title.

- The game is engaging enough with lots of different weapons, powersuit mechanics, and a splash of RPG element with suit upgrades that can't be reversed.

Cons:

- The game really felt like glorified Smash TV. Clear Room A, then clear Room B. One check point to another. This kept me from playing long sessions at a time, as I grew tired of it quickly. It would've been nice if they threw in some Crysis 1 elements in.

- Prophet's voice acting is cringe worthy. It's too typical and groan inducing. That gruffy grunty voice got old right after the intro. Is everyone suffering from Master Chief syndrome?

- No quick save. This REALLY worsens the 'Room A-to-B' feel. If you die before clearing B, then start all over from end of A.

- I wished the game would vary some of its play mechanics. I really miss fighting various types of enemies like Doom. You get hoards of weak ones, fast and deadly ones, and fat one that take lots of punishment. A real varied enemies make using weapons more fun too. So far, 90% of enemies are plain human troopers, 10% stalkers. Perhaps I'm judging it too fast, but I'm in the middle of mission 2 and I'm still fighting the same enemies. It's becoming a drag.

- Tagging enemies were cool at first but became a necessary cumbersome mechanic.

Verdict:

I have more negatives to say about repetitiveness, but I only played about 10-15%. Do things suddenly get drastically better and more fun? I'm not holding breath for this mainstream CoD clone. If someone made a perfect game that captures the action of Doom and the innovation/story of Half Life together, that would be perfect.

All that being said. The game is indeed fun. I guess I'm being too harsh on the game because it's a run-n-gun mainstream triple-A title. It's solid all around as a casual game. 4/5 stars.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It looks good and is fun enough to enjoy while looking at pretty graphics, but the gameplay isn't impressive and the game just can't compare to others like Far Cry 3 in gameplay.

0___________0

May 5, 2012
The Bad: (spoilers ahead)

1. What the fvck? I thought the suit-less moment was about half way into the game... I figured he would get his power back, disable one worm hole, then go around to shut down others (2-3 more) throughout the world as they indicated. Then fight the big boss. Nope, the suit-less moment was the END of the game. Total game play was like 17-23 hours? What the hell man.

2. The suit upgrade gave an impression that game would be MUCH longer. I imagined you would unlock most modules, and appropriately switch suit configurations often to battle really hard enemies later on. NOPE. So you started in NYC, disabled their power supply, destroyed the dam, then awoke the Alpha Celph, fought 1 mentionable mini-boss, then end up underground, killed Alpha Celph already? wtf? I don't mind shorter games... but this is SO short.

The Ugly:

When I killed the mini boss, bunch of debris fell on me and I was underground... but then suddenly I'm in the space? How the hell does that work? Also the suit is marginally strong enough to withstand heavy artillery. You also lose about a half of energy if you fall from 100 ft. The same suit suddenly can withstand being in space and take a motherfvcking freefall from stratosphere back to Earth?

What. the. hell?

What do you mean "suit-less moment"? Are you talking about the final cutscene when you're back on Lingshan? That is the suit, it's just assumed the form of Laurence Barnes. Or are you talking about something else? I'm guessing the first, because the final cutscene on Lingshan is the end of the game. It sounds like you aren't familiar with what happened to Prophet in the 2nd game and what the suit does, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

You don't fall underground on the final level either, you get pulled through the beam that's opening the wormhole up through the atmosphere, into space. The final fight is against the Alpha Ceph, it then goes to a cutscene where Prophet tries to free Psycho from the VTOL but gets pulled into the beam. If I recall correctly, you're above ground for the last 2 levels. There may be times when you're underneath some sort of structure, but you're out in the open pretty much all the time.

I'd also assume he used the suit to hack Archangel.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
What do you mean "suit-less moment"? Are you talking about the final cutscene when you're back on Lingshan? That is the suit, it's just assumed the form of Laurence Barnes. Or are you talking about something else? I'm guessing the first, because the final cutscene on Lingshan is the end of the game. It sounds like you aren't familiar with what happened to Prophet in the 2nd game and what the suit does, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

You don't fall underground on the final level either, you get pulled through the beam that's opening the wormhole up through the atmosphere, into space. The final fight is against the Alpha Ceph, it then goes to a cutscene where Prophet tries to free Psycho from the VTOL but gets pulled into the beam. If I recall correctly, you're above ground for the last 2 levels. There may be times when you're underneath some sort of structure, but you're out in the open pretty much all the time.

I'd also assume he used the suit to hack Archangel.

Sorry, not suitless but when his suit power is down and you only start with a pistol.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Alpha Ceph (final boss) has so many hit points its obscene. Even on easy once you run out of ammo you don't have any other ranged attacks and the ceph floats in the air so its not like you can melee him.

Had to download a trainer with infinite ammo just to finish the game.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Alpha Ceph (final boss) has so many hit points its obscene. Even on easy once you run out of ammo you don't have any other ranged attacks and the ceph floats in the air so its not like you can melee him.

You are supposed to pickup the ceph power up from the chest around the area and use that. DMG is not an issue.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

lol.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I have to admit I played C3 only very, very short since I became bored. I can't get into those streamlined "off-the-mill" shooters anymore. I might continue on it later again, maybe.

I was first debating between FC 3 and C3, and have to say FC3 is likely one of the best games I played in a long time, although the graphics might not be that great as with C3. I simply enjoy open world/sandbox games WAY more than linear games like Crysis 3, play one and you played all of them, IMO.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
The cvar configurator doesn't seem to have any ai tweaks. Looking for any kind of code/mod to play around with enemy ai. There are plenty of graphical tweaks so I figured you could mess with ai like in Far Cry.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
it's looking like it's very unlikely there are any tweaks for ai in the game. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. But I'm kind of desperate hoping for some. I'd really like to turn off ai once in awhile so I can roam around without having to fight mobs. Maybe some will come out later.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Im a fan of the original, heck the 2nd one with its much more confined areas was even fun (but seems to go against Crysis strengths,open world stuff!) but I will never know how 3 plays.. Origin.. its so sad.. Reading this thread makes me feel like i missed it.. A least Farcry 3 was not a bust.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
overall i liked the game more than tomb raider reboot. I esp like the open map - it was a little on the easy side (after I figured a few things out) and the game is definitely on the mega short side (not too bad for a free game but If i had paid $40 or $60 I would be hopping mad); i twas free due to amd video card bundle. I'm not going to talk much about the plot - the game play was fun and that was good enough for me - though I ran into a few bugs and clipping bugs (when I say clipping I'm talking about weirdness that impact movement). I would give it a 7 overall but 8 1/2 for pure fun.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Yeah I figured it out how to go invisible without having to worry about energy. Found a trainer that has max energy which keeps up the stealth mode on the biosuit in most situations. The game still locks ups sometimes with the trainer but it can last for a long time.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
It looks good and is fun enough to enjoy while looking at pretty graphics, but the gameplay isn't impressive and the game just can't compare to others like Far Cry 3 in gameplay.

On the contrary having just finished the game I think it far exceeds Far Cry 3 in terms of graphics and gameplay. The only thing FC3 beats it on is the open world nature of the game itself, and the tropical environment, though even that is a matter of taste, if you took Crysis 3's world and made it an open world game I think I would prefer that. Also the shooting in Crysis 3 is amazing. The guns feel incredible, more accurate and responsive than the guns in Far Cry 3 which suffer in feel and accuracy.

Also in terms of performance, I was never able to completely eliminate all the stutters from FC3, but Crysis 3 runs stutter-free and has much higher fidelity at the same time. It's clear to me that in terms of tech Ubisoft are still using the same old engine they inherited when they bought Far Cry 1 from Crytek, whereas Crytek themselves have improved Cryengine 3 FAR beyond what Ubisoft has done with the engine.

There are some huge open levels towards the middle-end of Crysis 3 that had my jaw dropping... the amount of stuff going on was just incredible. Particularly the sections where you have to use vehicles for a stretch, and then hop out and engage in some battle. And the huge open landscapes with Pingers and Devastators, it was like being in that scene in the beginning of Terminator where they are showing the war against the machines. I don't see how anybody who is fan of sci-fi action and FPS can't like this game. Some of the plot details and acting are pretty bad but that honestly doesn't both me at all because the action is so tight and the graphics and levels are so well done.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
People give me shit for starting new threads and not using the search function. Are you seriously going to give me shit now for using the search function as well?

So which is the correct way then? Start a new thread or bump an old one?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
People give me shit for starting new threads and not using the search function. Are you seriously going to give me shit now for using the search function as well?

So which is the correct way then? Start a new thread or bump an old one?

Tell him to piss off, easy as that

If there's a thread ongoing about a game then it makes sense to use the one already there. Lots of questions were probably answered in the old thread so it would be silly to go through all that again