Crysis 3 sluggish performance

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I can't recall, is there a better forum for this?

I haven't really made any progress on Crysis 3 yet because on the first level I'm having big framerate dips, or maybe not framerate... I don't know, I'm not used to such things. It feels like I'm hitting a wall of 6 foot thick molasses every few seconds, then it's okay for a few seconds, rinse repeat.

Win 7 64 bit
SSD HD (180gb Intel Cherryville)
Crysis 3 installed on 3tb WD HDD
EVGA GeForce 670
16gb RAM
Latest Directx and what not.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
What resolution are you running and at what settings?

You could post this in Video Cards & Graphics and might generate more hits but honestly I think you'll start having a bit of a fight in the thread with people saying a GTX 670 can't handle it or whatnot.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
might not be because the way he describes it is constantly dipping to unplayable. What you describe is at very specific points. It was fixed for me when I installed the latest driver, now the dip isn't as severe.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I don't know if I'd call it unplayable.... but I certainly don't INTEND to play through the game until I figure something out.

It auto-detected to some very high settings, but it seemed like I had the same issue when I cranked them down a fair bit. 1920x1200

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
Ill assume you have the latest drivers (314.07), other than that you neglected to mention what CPU you have. I hear Crysis 3 loves more than 4 threads. Haven't had a chance to play it myself just yet but check what kind of post processing / ambient occulsion settings you're running as those 2 tend to have the biggest impact on frame rates while adding the least IQ (in my opinion I know some people love SSAO and such).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Try running SMAA 2x and turn motion blur to medium(or off), textures to very high and everything else on high. Use fraps or MSI Afterburner/EVGA precision to monitor FPS and see what happens.

There is a problem in some parts of the first level with the shadows from moving ropes causing stutters and whatnot.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
What resolution/settings are you playing at? Crysis 3 will beat up a GTX 670 if you are playing at 2560x1440 on Very High with any MSAA.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Turn vsync off. Its on by default and really f's with performance. There isn't much tearing with it off anyway.

Feb 6, 2007
1. Drivers
2. Nvidia control panel settings: make sure you're set to "use application settings" for things like AA, AF and vsync
3. Disable vsync in game.
4. Try running at stock "Medium" settings with no AA. The game should be clipping along pretty well on that card at those settings, so if you're still getting choppy gameplay, something is wrong somewhere else.

Also, what CPU do you have? You might be running up against a CPU bottleneck if you're running an old dual core or whatnot.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

I'm, like, 99% sure this is the problem OP is having.

It's an extremely bizarre, well-known bug in Crysis 3 right now, and it occurs right in the very first level.

Basically, your framerate in Level 1 intermittently tanks every single time that rope comes into view. It's stupid and Crytek needs to fix it. OP, before you mess around with drivers and stuff, read that blog post and test to see if your game is behaving similarly.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
CPU: Intel i5-2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz (straight from what DXDiag says)

I just played a bit with Vsync off, and just updated drivers (didn't reboot yet though) I was on like 310, now 314. it didn't say to reboot but i've always considered that necessary on vid drivers, so i'll do that before i play again. I pretty much did any and all suggestions anyone made in this thread with regard to settings etc.

It looked good and was I think... I think running better. One thing I think was throwing me off, is that it seems they decided to make the pace at which your character descends steps much slower than his movement across a flat surface. Correct? I'm noticing that every time I go down steps.

But that's not all it was. I was also seeing slow down when I'd turn left or right and look another direction, or even just walking straight ahead it'd feel like I was periodically hitting invisible fields of congealed gravy.

I think that was alleviated by changing settings... but I don't want to express 100% confidence in that yet. I'll keep fiddling with it tomorrow, off to bed for now. Thanks a lot for the replies and suggestions.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Rope possibility noted, I'm trying to play further to get past first level. I'll get back with conclusions tomorrow.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I'm using a 2500k @ 4.5 ghz with 12gb of ram and a GTX460 @ 1600x1200 on very high with no problems at all with slowdowns or anything else. Vsync Off as well. Does this bug affect only the 670 cards or should I be noticing it also?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
CPU: Intel i5-2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz (straight from what DXDiag says)

I just played a bit with Vsync off, and just updated drivers (didn't reboot yet though) I was on like 310, now 314. it didn't say to reboot but i've always considered that necessary on vid drivers, so i'll do that before i play again. I pretty much did any and all suggestions anyone made in this thread with regard to settings etc.

It looked good and was I think... I think running better. One thing I think was throwing me off, is that it seems they decided to make the pace at which your character descends steps much slower than his movement across a flat surface. Correct? I'm noticing that every time I go down steps.

But that's not all it was. I was also seeing slow down when I'd turn left or right and look another direction, or even just walking straight ahead it'd feel like I was periodically hitting invisible fields of congealed gravy.

I think that was alleviated by changing settings... but I don't want to express 100% confidence in that yet. I'll keep fiddling with it tomorrow, off to bed for now. Thanks a lot for the replies and suggestions.

You have to remember that when you run, it's maximum speed by default, so if you are running then go around stairs, you'll slow down a bit.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
After a reboot, update to graphics drivers, and getting to the second level... it seems like there's an improvement. I'm still trying to figure out if I can manage to have vsync on or not. I don't like the tearing that's for sure.

I think I still see some slowdown when I look left or right, I guess you could say I'm having trouble turning a Prophet! Heyoooo!

Feb 6, 2007
After a reboot, update to graphics drivers, and getting to the second level... it seems like there's an improvement. I'm still trying to figure out if I can manage to have vsync on or not. I don't like the tearing that's for sure.

I think I still see some slowdown when I look left or right, I guess you could say I'm having trouble turning a Prophet! Heyoooo!

If you're going to run vsync, don't run it from the ingame options. Use the Nvidia control panel and enable "Adaptive Vsync half refresh rate." The ingame vsync causes some serious sluggish performance. Adaptive vsync with the half refresh rate will lock you at 30 FPS unless it dips below, in which case vsync is automatically disabled (rather than dropping you directly to 20 FPS).

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Thanks for all the tips guys, it SEEMS like things are pretty kosher at this point. Looking good and running pretty nicely. I'm using the Nvidia control panel vsync as a couple of you suggested (Thanks Atomic and whoever else it was)

Does this game really not include a built in way to say "run on this other secondary monitor"? I'd like to play it on my TV, but I'm not making my TV my primary to do so.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Thanks for all the tips guys, it SEEMS like things are pretty kosher at this point. Looking good and running pretty nicely. I'm using the Nvidia control panel vsync as a couple of you suggested (Thanks Atomic and whoever else it was)

Does this game really not include a built in way to say "run on this other secondary monitor"? I'd like to play it on my TV, but I'm not making my TV my primary to do so.

Yeah I don't think you can do that.

Also, the slowdown when you turn could be the motion blur giving you a stutter.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011

That's all controlled in Windows. Don't blame the game for this.

Go to display properties and set your TV as your primary display (1) and monitor as (2).

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
That's all controlled in Windows. Don't blame the game for this.

Go to display properties and set your TV as your primary display (1) and monitor as (2).

Oh I'll blame the game alright, many modern games let you choose which display as you cycle through in game (or setup utility) resolutions it will say next to the resolution [MONITOR 1] etc.

Crysis games are meant to be at the forefront of tech and options.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

You can use Crysis 3 CVar Configurator. You can also set FOV, turn off mouse smoothing, etc.