Crysis 2 or Homefront?

Dasda

Jan 9, 2010
Looking to get a FPS. I never played original Crysis. Wondering which of the two I should get. Any input would be nice. I'll probably end up with both eventually but which one should I get first? Is Crysis 2 playable without playing Crysis 1?

Thank You.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Get Crysis 2. It's probably better that you DIDN'T play the first one as you won't have absurd expectations and rose tinted memories about it. It's a great game in its own right, and anything bad about it is just a comparison to the first one. I'm personally having more fun with Crysis 2 than I did with the first one, even though somebody will claim BS it's true thus far.

Homefront from what I hear is pretty average and quite bland, and that's from PC and console gamers alike. Crysis 2 is pretty much only being knocked by elitist PC gamers expecting the game to blow them in between missions.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I haven't seen much hate for Homefront on this forum, but I've seen a lot of hate for Crysis 2, so I say go for Homefront.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
If Crysis 2 is anything like the first one, then I say go for Homefront even though I know nothing about Homefront. Crysis was an absolute yawner of a game.

KT

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
When looking at the MetaCritic group of reviews, sites I don't read give Homefront 80+, and the sites I do read about 70.

Conversely, Crysis 2 scoring 80+ on pretty much all of them changes that.

I'm playing Crysis 2 and yeah, I don't like it as much as the original or Warhead, but I'm getting used to it.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Why does it have to be THOSE two? You said yourself you never played the first game, why not just do the common sense thing and get the first game FIRST (for like 15% of the sequel's price, no less), and just play that? And maybe Warhead too?

Why limit yourself to two largely mediocre games just because they're new and full price?

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
Get Crysis 2. It's probably better that you DIDN'T play the first one as you won't have absurd expectations and rose tinted memories about it. It's a great game in its own right, and anything bad about it is just a comparison to the first one. I'm personally having more fun with Crysis 2 than I did with the first one, even though somebody will claim BS it's true thus far.

I'm not here to argue as I haven't played either game (I only played warhead), but if the game isn't better than the first one, it's setting itself up to be called bad. By creating a sequel, they are expected to make it everything that the first game was and even more. If it isn't even as good as the first well then...

Perhaps their "even more" was just expanding it to consoles. They abandon their core user base (in a sense), but I bet they make way more on it than they did on the first one, just because of the wider audience.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Pfff....Crysis 2 is a better game than Crysis (albeit buggy and consolized to hell and back). I enjoyed Homefront to a degree, but it was nothing special, it was way way shorter than I expected, and to be honest it was a let down simply because for some reason I thought it was going to be awesome.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
Looking to get a FPS. I never played original Crysis. Wondering which of the two I should get. Any input would be nice. I'll probably end up with both eventually but which one should I get first? Is Crysis 2 playable without playing Crysis 1?

Thank You.

neither. play the crysis 1 + wh pkg first.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Shoot, if you just want a great FPS get Borderlands if you want single player, Black Ops if you're an MP kind of person. Of course opinions will vary, some people hate both of these. IMO though Borderlands is the most addictive SP FPS ever, and Black Ops is the most fun I've had in MP since the original Medal of Honor and or Tribes 2.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I'm not here to argue as I haven't played either game (I only played warhead), but if the game isn't better than the first one, it's setting itself up to be called bad. By creating a sequel, they are expected to make it everything that the first game was and even more. If it isn't even as good as the first well then...

Perhaps their "even more" was just expanding it to consoles. They abandon their core user base (in a sense), but I bet they make way more on it than they did on the first one, just because of the wider audience.

IMO Crysis 2 IS the better game to me. People can have whatever opinion they want, but I'm having an absolute blast in the sequel. There's so many Crysis 2 threads that I'm losing track of where I post what, but here's what I said in one of the other ones:

I'm having no problems with stealth. If you think it's too run and gun, then that's how you're playing it. I just got done with the first area that had nothing but aliens in it, and I was actually surprised at how I was playing the game similar to how I'd play old school Splinter Cell games. I'd isolate enemies and get a stealth kill, then (while still cloaked) jump over the kiosks to stealth kill the one who's shooting where I WAS and not where I AM :D

IMO this one is much more balanced in how you can approach things vs. the first. In the first you HAD to go stealth or you'd get demolished. In this one you can go stealth, explosives, guns blazing, avoid entirely... all sorts of ways. I think either people had a ton of mods on, or just simply remember it fondly because it was good for the time.

I hadn't played the first Crysis till last week, and I thought it actually didn't look very good. My first thought was "this is what people have been so happy over? meh..." But with a texture pack it looks fantastic. Exactly what this one needs. The big thing though was I just wasn't having fun with Crysis. It was wide open sure, but anytime I tried to do something interesting I'd get killed immediately. Maybe our styles are just conducive to enjoying each game differently, but I truly believe that this one from a gameplay perspective surpasses the first. And this is coming from somebody who played them right next to each other.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Shoot, if you just want a great FPS get Borderlands if you want single player, Black Ops if you're an MP kind of person. Of course opinions will vary, some people hate both of these. IMO though Borderlands is the most addictive SP FPS ever, and Black Ops is the most fun I've had in MP since the original Medal of Honor and or Tribes 2.

Bordlerlands was probably the shortest game I have ever played. After you did the first go here, fetch this, return for reward mission you have played the entire game. Didn't really like that one at all.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
OP didn't mention if he is focusing on single player, or multilayer. For SP I would recommend Crysis 2 (or Crysis 1 + WH), for multiplayer I would recommend Homefront.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Homefront is junk, it looks like a PS2 game and plays like a sub par Call of Duty clone. Yeah, there's some cool stuff that happens in the SP campaign, but it's like 3-4 hours long at best.

Crysis 2 is a lot of fun in MP, the SP starts off slow, but I hear it picks up later on and is pretty good.

I would say Crysis 2.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
I didn't really care for the first Crysis. Never played Warhead. But I'm really enjoying Crysis 2 thus far. Fun gameplay in single player mode anyway (not a big multiplayer fan)

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I didn't really care for the first Crysis. Never played Warhead. But I'm really enjoying Crysis 2 thus far. Fun gameplay in single player mode anyway (not a big multiplayer fan)

I feel the same way, but I also think the MP is fun... unfortunately that part is a buggy mess. SP has been fine though.

Dasda

Jan 9, 2010
Sorry to cause such a big debate guys. That was not my intention. Also sorry for not mentioning that I play single player mostly when I have time.

Picked up Crysis 2 and enjoying it so far. Thanks for the Borderlands mention as well. Never tried that game, might give it a go although Homefront just sounds so intriguing. But then I hear of the bad reviews and makes me wonder.