Crysis 2 leaked

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Can't we all just agree that it's wrong, regardless if you want to call it "stealing" or "copyright infringement"? The point is both are wrong.

Stealing is bad. Piracy is bad. /thread

Really. This thread (predictably, I guess) exploded, and is just a tad off-topic...

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Can't we all just agree that it's wrong, regardless if you want to call it "stealing" or "copyright infringement"? The point is both are wrong.

Stealing is bad. Piracy is bad. /thread

Agreed. This bickering about what term should be used to describe it is tiring. I don't care if you call it pirating, stealing, IP theft, etc... if you're using something you didn't pay for then it's wrong and breaking the law in most developed countries. Sure, you can discuss whether the punishments are too harsh and such, but this pirating vs. stealing argument at this point reaches new levels of retardation.

Illegal is illegal, admit they're both wrong and move on to discussing something else.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It got derailed because someone immediately was OMG DAMN PIRATES ARE RUINING PC GAMING! You know...the usual tripe.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
This is too bad, but I don't see this affecting PC sales in any way. Douchebags that were going to pirate are still going to pirate, and people that were going to pay money for a quality product are still going to buy it.

My biggest gripe is that it still hasn't shown up on Steam, and it's not even listed under "Coming Soon". As soon as it does, I'm definitely buying a copy.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
You dont have the right to privacy outside of your home. So why should data entering and leaving your home have that right? Inside your home is another story.

Are you saying that you honestly believe that all of your privacy rights are stripped the second you walk out the door? You're an even bigger idiot than I ever could have imagined.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Could you guys please create a thread about the merits and pitfalls of piracy? This is getting boring and it really adds nothing to this thread.

Well the whole point of the thread IS piracy. Yes the game was leaked before retail but it doesnt change the fact tons of people are sharing it illegally and will not be purchasing it.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Are you saying that you honestly believe that all of your privacy rights are stripped the second you walk out the door? You're an even bigger idiot than I ever could have imagined.

Why insult me? Show me in the bill of rights where you have the right of a completely private internet? You cant. Just like you dont have a right to drive - it is a privilege. The internet should be the same.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
They dont need to now, check Tunngle rooms lol.

I dislike all scifi fps games anyway, so...

i assume a bunch of people are saying its shitty? Do you see how idiotic it is for a bunch of zeros to get there hands on a early build of a project that isnt polished? Now they have a preconceived idea of how the game is and they have spread this and you yourself now think the game is shit.

idiots.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why insult me? Show me in the bill of rights where you have the right of a completely private internet? You cant. Just like you dont have a right to drive - it is a privilege. The internet should be the same.

Im not entirely against the idea of throttling or temporarily disabling a connection that can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt is engaging in piracy. For me to even to begin to support such a notion would require an assurance of very strong privacy regulations, and for the near total eradication of DRM. The laws need to be rewritten to ensure the media companies can no longer abuse and extort people.

Basically, it would require more restraint than big business is capable of, and more bravery and common sense than government has. I'm not optimistic sanity has a chance when you see how crazy some people are when it comes to this kind of thing.

In the same sense you can get a very small ticket for running a red light, there should be small consequences, a punishment befitting the crime considering there is no proof who actually is infringing. No one should be sent a jail for such a minor crime as downloading a movie.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010

That's not what I was saying. All you do is twist people's words to cause a stir.

What you were saying was that you think that the second you walk out of your door, you loose all rights to privacy. That's not the case at all.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I really think all the big content publishers should be taxed by the government in a way that could fund an internet police force with government oversight and authority. Since they would foot the bill and reap the benfits of being able to say piracy is at an end it shouldn't effect the average non-thieving piece of shit internet users. It would even create jobs for normal people who like to pay for stuff. If they were limited to setting up "sting" torrents to catch people in the act and not actual monitoring of personal internet usage it would be a great thing. Riding the information highway should be just like driving on a normal road.

Do things like give out a $300 dollar fine requiring a court appearance for IP theft. Government limited fines should really become a reality regardless because people getting sued for $200,000 dollars for downloading 10 songs is ridiculous.