Cryptocoin Mining?

Page 397 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
I agree looking at the thread. A joke launch.

I sold most of my karmacoins. With my luck it'd go to the moon. Was very profitable. I don't know how it'll be but I'll keep mining for a bit and see where it's going.

How high can the difficulty be with say 1.5-2 Mhash before solo mining doesn't find blocks often?

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
I'll have to try it in another PC... it runs way too hot on top of my 7950 and it seems like it might be throttling when I try to use +20 powertune.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
As of now (current rate), the ~2 days? spent on it have been very very profitable so it was very valuable to mine. I'm not sure if I dare hold or if I should drop it and consider that luck of the draw before it crashes. It's the quickest I've gotten (equivalent to) BTC, although it is reminiscent of the doge launch which I got into a bit after the launch.

Where is kitteh trading? Did it go higher than launch with the later increases? Found it, it just hit cryptsy and is dropping. No more history than ~ 2 days.
Kitteh was on coinedup for all of January and is still there.

Kitteh floundered at .00000003(7 zeros) or 3 satoshi and suddenly spiked up to 100 satoshi soon after the "DOGE spike" before going down to current levels. Those who get the easy Kittehcoins would have struck it very, very rich if they held until that time. Their reward structure was such that you just got a ton of coins in a day. I think I got around 200000 at difficulty 3 or 4.

Last edited:

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
I'll have to try it in another PC... it runs way too hot on top of my 7950 and it seems like it might be throttling when I try to use +20 powertune.
Can you undervolt it? The 7870 Tahiti are mediocre at scrypt and usually get the best hash rate at low clock speeds, between 750-850 MHz. At that point you can heavily undervolt it and there's no need to increase the power tune at all.

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
Can you undervolt it? The 7870 Tahiti are mediocre at scrypt and usually get the best hash rate at low clock speeds, between 750-850 MHz. At that point you can heavily undervolt it and there's no need to increase the power tune at all.

I can't undervolt it through cgminer. So it's probably locked and I would have to modify the VBIOS in order to undervolt it. Unless you have some other suggestions which I am always open to. Stock voltage is 1.219 :\

My PC case feels & smells like it is melting :whiste:

taserbro

Jun 3, 2010
You building a pool server for Maxcoin?

Has anyone successfully mined maxcoin on other than cpu only?
I've been scouring the earth for the keccak cgminer but if working commit exists, people are keeping it to themselves. By the time it's published, the difficulty's already made solo mining pointless...

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
I just sold 40 coins for almost 2 BTC on coins-e... can't even believe it.
Lol you got lucky. All I have to do is go through the last couple pages and it's just... Wow. It's supposed to be a CPU mining coin yet NVIDIA GPUs can mine it.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Hey look, KlondikeCoin is currently in the top 5 most profitable coins to mine according to coinwarz.

What was the first pool I set up again (And still running?) :p

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
Cripes, BTC/USD is going down again for no apparent reason. $760 right now. That's about what it hit when the money laundering guys were arrested. But down $40 on no news, that's a little worrying.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Cripes, BTC/USD is going down again for no apparent reason. $760 right now. That's about what it hit when the money laundering guys were arrested. But down $40 on no news, that's a little worrying.

Solvency issues for MtGox I think is the current issue. Look at their current rates - they're almost at par with Coinbase. When was the last time THAT has ever happened?

For a fiat exchange that was once considered THE benchmark of BTC->USD conversion to have solvency issues, plus the BitInstant thing going on... knock-on effects abound.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Gox is going down and the crypto market will take a hit without a doubt. I think we'll be better off after the shock subsides.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Gox is going down and the crypto market will take a hit without a doubt. I think we'll be better off after the shock subsides.

One of the things I never understood was how MtGox could possibly always be 10%+ higher than all the competing exchanges in price.

taserbro

Jun 3, 2010
Dod gamnit, maxcoin was a lot of work to figure out but I just made 1.4btc in half a day of solo mining. The launch was mind-blowingly disorganized but the demand seems to be consistently rabid for it so far...

I wonder if I should hold onto some now.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
taserbro and x3sphere.... damn you guys :p

A good reward for your efforts. I cant stand constantly trying to keep my eye on new releases and being disappointed. The last one was Coinye, which screamed success, but the devs backed down. Fools.... they have made so much with the free publicity.

Off to replace this motherboard....

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Dod gamnit, maxcoin was a lot of work to figure out but I just made 1.4btc in half a day of solo mining. The launch was mind-blowingly disorganized but the demand seems to be consistently rabid for it so far...

I wonder if I should hold onto some now.
How did you guys get anything to work with MAX? It's mind boggling why people want it.

taserbro

Jun 3, 2010
How did you guys get anything to work with MAX? It's mind boggling why people want it.

I can't fully explain the demand for it but the wallet itself was released more or less on time and it used bitcoin line commands (open a separate command window and use those commands https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_calls_list). If you solo mined early enough you could get multiple blocks in minutes.

Here's some of my experience if anyone wants to give it a shot:

Solo cpu mining with the wallet is the only way to go right now because there's a bunch of problems with stratum that prevents pools from going up. The two that were up pretty much wasted everyone's cpu cycles. The mythical keccak cgminer was probably a scam or troll attempt so you can keep your gpus on doge or whatever.

The standard conf file is here: https://github.com/Max-Coin/clients/blob/master/example-maxcoin.conf
Pu it into %appdata%/roaming/maxcoin/maxcoin.conf before running the wallet.

Some people had connectivity issues and there was a new version released and some more nodes you can manually append into your conf file here: http://pastebin.com/ZkVMEuNL that would solve the issue.

To use it, open a cmd window and run it with a --daemon prefix. There's also a --benchmark thing that'll show you how fast your cpu can hash but it's not really that useful now.
Don't force close the cmd window afterwards or it will crash the wallet.
To check your balance, open another cmd window in the same directory as the wallet and type maxcoind.exe getbalance
To send, type maxcoind.exe sendtoaddress <address> <amount>

Also, a huge portion of the problems stemmed from idiots being overeager and not rtfm and not having the correct ports set up (8108 is the correct one that has to be specified in both conf and bat). Once you were connected, everything worked.

The difficulty went twentyfold in less than a day so I don't expect to be solo mining this as soon as there's a version of stratum that works and a legit pool goes up. But still someone did the math that you still have a 98% chance of grabbing a block every 24 hours as of now. Who knows what'll happen by tomorrow.

Oh and coins-e, the only exchange that's trading max is a massive pain in the patella. They queue your orders to the point there's not much point in trying to match the demand since they'll mostly go through a couple hours after the fact.

In any case, for those who got lucky and got some maxcoins, it was pretty damn profitable for half a day. I'm at 2.2btc in the wallet and I still have some maxcoins I'm not sure if I should keep and wait...

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Cheers to the failure that is Maxcoin. I knew this one would be popular. Setup a linux box and solo mined with two GTX 780s using the cudaminer. Found four blocks = 384 MAX

Coins-E is a pos website. Had to spend hours on end just spamming sale orders because most show as 'queued' while the rare ones instantly execute a sale. Made 4.8 BTC!!!! Putting some of this $$ aside to rebuy an Asus PQ321 4K monitor with gysnc installed.

Best fail coin ever. Some people must be hyped on this to be buying it up at those outrageous prices.

Going to leave the 780s solo-mining and see if I can get lucky and hit another block. I seriously doubt it though, found the first 3 blocks within 30 minutes of the launch and another about 2 hours later. Now nothing at all since.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I've got a 7870 Tahiti as well. I can get it to 390 and occasionally up to 420

Try
TC 8193
I 12
G 2
W 256

I got about 330k out of that config. The settings I've googled for it are all over the place too. Wonder if it matters the specific card? I have a sapphire.