Cryptocoin Mining?

Page 150 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
Thanks for the info. What is your CPU usage like? At Aggression 18 I can barely do anything else.
Yeah, Litecoin is more intense than Bitcoin mining. I find that on a system that I'm working on, I need to set aggression to 13 (for a 7970) to not be affected.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm using Burnside's LTC mining pool, and then I use BTC-E to exchange them.

Oh, and you gotta love how fast Litecoin confirmations happen. Bitcoin was giving me "confirmation rage"!

Last edited:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
@Deaks or anyone else

What core and mem speeds are you running for the 7950s? At 1100MHz core/1250 mem I'm only getting like 400 kh/s, which seems pretty low.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Yeah, Litecoin is more intense than Bitcoin mining. I find that on a system that I'm working on, I need to set aggression to 13 (for a 7970) to not be affected.

At that setting, what is your khash/sec rate?

At aggression 13, I'm getting 320khash/s.

My 6950 is singing along nicely at almost 400khash/s.

Last edited:

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
At that setting, what is your khash/sec rate?

At aggression 13, I'm getting 320khash/s.
With the 7970 at 925 core/1250 memory, it's getting about 460 khash/s.

For a 7950 running on a different computer with Win 8, also clocked at 925/1250 it gets about 500 khash/s. It uses the following config:

worksize 256
vectors 1
aggression 18
threads_per_gpu 1
sharethreads 28
lookup_gap 2
gpu_thread_concurrency 24576

But I've noticed that reaper is especially sensitive and even one config that's good on one system will be much worse on another, even when the video cards are similar.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Thanks for the info. Updating to the 13.2 beta drivers seems to have cured the texture flashing and hash rate problems. I'm getting 585khash/s at 1025/1480 core/mem from the 7950 now. But yeah system is pretty unusable at 18 aggression. :)

thread_concurrency at 24576 seems to crash my whole system...24000 works perfectly well.

Last edited:

Deaks2

Oct 6, 2006
@Deaks or anyone else

What core and mem speeds are you running for the 7950s? At 1100MHz core/1250 mem I'm only getting like 400 kh/s, which seems pretty low.
I'm running stock clocks for my cards, 1000 core, 1250 vram. Each card is putting out about 575-600 KH/s with the config I posted above.

I run 18 agression when I am not home or overnight. When using the PC I run 13-14 aggression.

When gaming I turn it off...

With BTC it was possible to mine while playing a game on my 6970. It would just use any extra resources that were not being used by the game. Of course the mining speed sucked as it was doing it, but at least it was continuous. I can play BF3 while mining LTC with aggression set to 13, however, it does slow down sometimes...

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I'm running stock clocks for my cards, 1000 core, 1250 vram. Each card is putting out about 575-600 KH/s with the config I posted above.

I run 18 agression when I am not home or overnight. When using the PC I run 13-14 aggression.

Is there an automatic way of lowering the aggression or do you do it manually?

I'd really like to be able to run 18 aggression when I'm not even home or sleeping but about 13 aggression when I'm using the PC.

I tried playing with the CPU affinity and priority but that didn't do much.

Deaks2

Oct 6, 2006
Is there an automatic way of lowering the aggression or do you do it manually?

I'd really like to be able to run 18 aggression when I'm not even home or sleeping but about 13 aggression when I'm using the PC.

I tried playing with the CPU affinity and priority but that didn't do much.
I just have two copies of reaper in different folders, each with a different config file. I manually run each one.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
^Thanks for the info...I'll have to setup something similar then. I can't even watch a video while mining LTC lol.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Interesting..........will have to check that out; but anyone else getting a lot or rejects lately on bitcoins?

Also after I pick up my new 7870/7870 TX or 7950........haven't decided vs funds.......to keep my 6870 for mining or sell on LOL

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Finally got my whole withdrawal process setup, what a hassle. Took about a month to get verified on mtgox, then had to create a dwolla account, transfer from mtgox to dwolla took a few days, needed to link dwolla to my checking account, and then transfer from dwolla to checking account takes another 3-4 days. Now that it is all setup it should "only" take 4-7 days2 business days to transfer cash out.

edit: Now that it's all setup, my transfer from mtgox to dwolla goes through in about an hour. The move from dwolla to my real bank takes 2 business days.

Re-sold five of the bitcoins I bought during the last $40 dip at $47.3~for a little over $35 profit after fees. Not really much, but I wanted to get some USD back in my account so I can take advantage of additional price fluctuation. Historically the price often dips a few dollars over the weekend (but not every weekend!), so I figured I should sell today.

Last edited:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Finally got my whole withdrawal process setup, what a hassle. Took about a month to get verified on mtgox, then had to create a dwolla account, transfer from mtgox to dwolla took a few days, needed to link dwolla to my checking account, and then transfer from dwolla to checking account takes another 3-4 days. Now that it is all setup it should "only" take 4-7 days2 business days to transfer cash out.

edit: Now that it's all setup, my transfer from mtgox to dwolla goes through in about an hour. The move from dwolla to my real bank takes 2 business days.

Re-sold five of the bitcoins I bought during the last $40 dip at $47.3~for a little over $35 profit after fees. Not really much, but I wanted to get some USD back in my account so I can take advantage of additional price fluctuation. Historically the price often dips a few dollars over the weekend (but not every weekend!), so I figured I should sell today.

I know, someone really needs to come in and streamline the process. It all seems super shady right now. Russian websites, wiring money, etc etc. Wish we could use something somewhat secure like paypal/amazon but I understand that they don't want to deal with charge-backs.

Anyone have a suggestion on what deposit process to use to get set up with BTC-e?

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
Since I'n in Canada, I can't even use Mt.Gox + Dwolla.

The easiest way here seems to be Cavirtex, which is a BTC exchange that can also deposit directly to Canadian bank accounts. It's FAST -- both times I've used it, I've had the money in my account the same business day.

The catch is the fees: $6 per bank transfer, so its only feasible to do larger transactions.

Sena_BiH

Mar 16, 2013
Hello guys, i have couple of question for both bitcoin and litecoin miner.

First bitcoin, anyone know why i cant ,get m/hash that i should be getting, at 1100 MHz i am getting 550 mh/s, i should be getting 580, i have hd 7950, actually two of them, and each is getting same, i tried lot of thing, like disabling aero, varius flags, but no luck.

For litecoin, can anyone help me with setup, how to set it up, which miner and pool and so on.

Regards

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012

First bitcoin, anyone know why i cant ,get m/hash that i should be getting, at 1100 MHz i am getting 550 mh/s, i should be getting 580, i have hd 7950, actually two of them, and each is getting same, i tried lot of thing, like disabling aero, varius flags, but no luck.

For litecoin, can anyone help me with setup, how to set it up, which miner and pool and so on.

Regards

your score of 550 MH/s for a hd7950 is okay .

You over clock it to 1100 what voltage?

what is your memory set at ? 625 ? 700?
What is your memory voltage 1500? 1600?
What windows ? 7 ? 8?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Regards
cgminer with the diablo core gets me about 572mh on a 7950.

Sena_BiH

Mar 16, 2013
your score of 550 MH/s for a hd7950 is okay .

You over clock it to 1100 what voltage?

what is your memory set at ? 625 ? 700?
What is your memory voltage 1500? 1600?
What windows ? 7 ? 8?
Memory is set at 1250 Mhz, it wont go lower, even if i set it to 900 MHz?
Memory Voltage is 1.6V on both cards, sapphire boost will overclock to 1100 MHz without problems, but its boost, so it has high voltage at start, msi hd 7950 with 7970 pcb needs couple mV above stock for 1100 MHz, msi hd 7950 that i have is monster one, i can bench over +1300 MHz. Windows 7.
cgminer with the diablo core gets me about 572mh on a 7950.
How to set diablo core?

Last edited:

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
How to set diablo core?
I use a configuration file, but you can also use cgminer with a batch file (see forums for batch file setup).

Download cgminer and put this in a text file named cgminer.conf in the cgminer folder.

Code:
{
"pools" : [
	{
		"url" : "http://stratum.btcguild.com:8332",
		"user" : "username",
		"pass" : "password"
	},
	{
		"url" : "http://us1.eclipsemc.com:8337",
	},
	{
		"url" : "http://mmpool.bitparking.com:15098",
	},
	{
		"url" : "http://pool.ABCPool.co:8332",
	}
],

"api-listen" : true,
"api-network" : true, 
"api-allow" : "W:127.0.0.1", 
"kernel" : "diablo",
"intensity" : "7",
"gpu-powertune" : "10",
"expiry" : "120",
"gpu-threads" : "2",
"log" : "5",
"queue" : "1",
"retry-pause" : "5",
"scan-time" : "60",
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",
"worksize" : "256",
"shares" : "0",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"
}
Edit the above for your pool URL's, usernames, and passwords. Then run cgminer with a shortcut like this: C: \Users\Me\Desktop\cgminer\cgminer.exe -c cgminer.conf

That conf file will give you four different options for pools (change the username and password for each, or delete them). It's also configured to open the API access. I'm sure there are some things in there that I don't need - I haven't looked at the configuration flags in a long time.

Last edited:

Sena_BiH

Mar 16, 2013
I use a configuration file, but you can also use cgminer with a batch file (see forums for batch file setup).

Download cgminer and put this in a text file named cgminer.conf in the cgminer folder.

Code:
{
	{
		"url" : "http://btcguild.com:8332",
	},
	{
	},
	{
		"url" : "http://mine.mtred.com:8337",
	},
	{
	},
	{
	}
],

}
Edit the above for your pool URL's, usernames, and passwords. Then run cgminer with a shortcut like this: C: \Users\Me\Desktop\cgminer\cgminer.exe -c cgminer.conf

That conf file will give you five different options for pools (change the username and password for each, or delete them). It's also configured to open the API access. I'm sure there are some things in there that I don't need - I haven't looked at the configuration flags in a long time.

Thx, its looks pretty complicated, looks like i will stick with guiminer for some time, i am just all new to this, and i dont have experince.

Thx.

deanx0r

Oct 1, 2002

Took me 4-5 weeks to get the whole thing approved and ready to go. The whole approval process by scanning your documents stopped me in my tracks. But at the same time, I was sitting on 25 btc ready to be sold for $25 a pop... they are now worth $47 each. :evilgrin:

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010

Code:
{
	{
		"url" : "http://btcguild.com:8332",
	},
	{
	},
	{
		"url" : "http://mine.mtred.com:8337",
	},
	{
	},
	{
	}
],

}

That conf file will give you five different options for pools (change the username and password for each, or delete them). It's also configured to open the API access. I'm sure there are some things in there that I don't need - I haven't looked at the configuration flags in a long time.

I get:

Code:
[2013-03-17 10:47:50] Fatal JSON error in configuration file
[2013-03-17 10:47:50] Configuration file could not be used

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I get:

Code:
[2013-03-17 10:47:50] Fatal JSON error in configuration file
[2013-03-17 10:47:50] Configuration file could not be used
Check the brackets and commas for your pools. Make sure the beginning and end of the pool list is EXACTLY like it is above. Notice that the last pool right/closing bracket doesn't have a comma, but the prior pools do have the comma after the right/closing bracket.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Check the brackets and commas for your pools. Make sure the beginning and end of the pool list is EXACTLY like it is above. Notice that the last pool right/closing bracket doesn't have a comma, but the prior pools do have the comma after the right/closing bracket.

I did. Could it be I'm using a different GPU to you and need different flags? Haven't messed with those.