Cryis Beta Is Now Open

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Why are you guys comparing scalability between two completely different render methods anyway ?

Crysis is Direct3D, and Doom 3 is OpenGL, along with Quake Wars.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
You say Doom3 stutters above 60fps? How? I have never seen this and I run the game at over 130fps. Washed out lighting is a subjective thing. The shadow work is well done, and becides HDR, Half-Life 2 which was the major competitor at the time had horrible and non existant shadow and lighting work.

How does it stutter?

here

and here

Whether you can notice it or not is purely subjective. The fact is, it does exist and people can notice it. I will say however that I still like the engine better than HL2, which looks like complete ass outdoors.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
This is where Doom3 did quite well. You could play that game with a Geforce 3 card when it released and not really have a horrible experience.

Shens. The GeForce 3 cards just make the minimum requirements and my old 9200 could barely even play the game. Here the GeForce 4 has problems at 800x600, and the GeForce 3 isn't even mentioned. Compared to Far Cry and Half-Life 2 it wasn't very scalable at all.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
This is where Doom3 did quite well. You could play that game with a Geforce 3 card when it released and not really have a horrible experience.
Shens. The GeForce 3 cards just make the minimum requirements and my old 9200 could barely even play the game. Here the GeForce 4 has problems at 800x600, and the GeForce 3 isn't even mentioned. Compared to Far Cry and Half-Life 2 it wasn't very scalable at all.
I think I know what he's talking about.
There was a hack floating around for a while that pretty much disabled EVERYTHING in Doom3, textures and lighting and all of it. (The game looked like Quake 2 in software mode.)
The idea was to see just how low you could go in processing power and still get it to run.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT: When Doom 3 came out there were quite a few people in the world who still held and wanted to hold onto their GeForce 3's.
At that point they were forced to deal with reality. The next generation was here, and last gens hardware, (even the best of last gen) was not enough anymore.

On an unrelated note, the Radeon 9200 was newer and supported more features than the GeForce 3, but in terms of sheer raw processing power, the GeForce 3 could still beat it in many older titles that didnt use the new features. Unreal Engine 1 (Unreal, UT, Deus Ex) and Half-Life were two examples.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
When you click on the server in the list, look at the player list at the bottom. Only join servers you can see the names of the people in it.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
eh... with my rig i can play on high, but its not pleasent. I know its beta, sucks you cant break the scenery.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: swtethan
eh... with my rig i can play on high, but its not pleasent. I know its beta, sucks you cant break the scenery.

that's cause the beta is DX9 only. personally im not too disappointed, although that would be a nice feature. i'm still addicted to the gameplay and the technical features :p

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Hey, Fenix, I think I played with you in a server. There was a Fenixgoon, at least.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
damn it, i was too late to fetch a key. keys are now for subscribers only.