Cruz is 'Lucifer in the flesh'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That's exactly the way I see it too; smacks of dick-punching vengeance. ;)

I don't see him wanting to be Drumpf's VP pick though, he's too 'establishment'. That and he was a shitty Speaker. Christie is probably closer in contention, having few friends in the GOP now too, and is a kindred loudmouth bully.

Why do you think he was a shitty speaker? I think he actually did pretty well despite being dealt an almost impossible hand. Not great, but pretty good.

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
From OP link

On the Democratic side of the race, Boehner said that while Hillary Clinton would win the party’s nomination, Bernie Sanders is a likable guy and the most honest politician in the race. He also apparently impersonated the former secretary of state, saying, “Oh, I’m a woman, vote for me,” while reportedly later noting her accomplishments.

Boehner also had some fun with how people botch his name, telling the crowd, “You can call me boner, beloved patriot, jackass, happy to answer to almost anything.”
Maybe this Boehner guy ain't so bad.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It's Boehner's payback with compounded interest for the coup Cruz mounted against him .

The Repubs, true to form, are eating their own.

Either that or Cruz just really IS just that much of a douche. Look at all those other comments from prominent repubs. These comments are actually worse than some of the things they say about democrats. And a lot of it is personal - they really just do not seem to like the man.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Why do you think he was a shitty speaker? I think he actually did pretty well despite being dealt an almost impossible hand. Not great, but pretty good.

I thought so too. He was placed in a near impossible situation, trying to get anything at all accomplished while appeasing the nutty and intransigent tea party elements in the House. It was a no win situation but he still did manage to hammer out a few compromises with the White House which may have averted a serious crisis.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I thought so too. He was placed in a near impossible situation, trying to get anything at all accomplished while appeasing the nutty and intransigent tea party elements in the House. It was a no win situation but he still did manage to hammer out a few compromises with the White House which may have averted a serious crisis.

Trump, Cruz, and Bernie are the realization that we want that "serious crisis".
Because it's time for change. Establishment fights for the status quo... we fight to knock it down.

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Trump, Cruz, and Bernie are the realization that we want that "series crisis".
Because it's time for change. Establishment fights for the status quo... we fight to knock it down.

Yeah I see that is what you want. But I for one am not interested in the experiment of "burning" everything down and hoping we end up with something better. I don't mind you radically experimenting when it's only going to affect you and others who see eye to eye with you. But I'm not interested in taking that kind of risk with the future of my kids. I want significant changes but not done radically overnight.

And things are not as simple as establishment versus whoever or whatever you think you are. The world is simply not binary. This Manichean way of thinking - that everything is black v. white, liberal v. conservative, establishment v. anti-establishment is precisely what is wrong with our political culture right now.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

No he was a shitty speaker. A good speaker is able to get his party in line. A good speaker knows when they do or do not have the votes for a piece of legislation. A good speaker works with the other party and gets shit done.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
It is just a manifestation of Party establishment deserting Cruz. They bid times just in canse Cruz might gain momentum and a chance to become nominee. It seems to me the establishment think Cruz is done for. Thus Boener's taking it out on him with nothing to fear for.

I wonder if Cruz's political is now effectively over with his all-but failed presidential run. He is not going back to Senate, and if he did he will have a much tougher time with his collegues to move his agenda forward. He is

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Cruz came out of nowhere. No experience. Nada. And weaseled himself into elected office.
In this case, Ted played the GOD card.
And its obvious Ted wouldn't think twice about playing the GOD card if he thought that was what it took to win.
For Ted, religious beliefs are something you read off a teleprompter.
I'm convinced Ted doesn't have a clue about what moral or religion is all about.
Ted found a gimmick, a stunt, and he uses it to get votes.
But people see through him.
That is why the evangelical christians aren't buying. Instead, they are opting for Trump.
I'm surprised, but glad they wised up and can see thru this phony baloney Ted Cruz.
Cruz is probably the most dangerous candidate for any office that has come along in decades.
I doubt people have a clue just how dangerous he could be, and what possibly goes on in his mind.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Trump, Cruz, and Bernie are the realization that we want that "series crisis".

So, the direction of change doesn't matter, so long as it's yuge, right?

Who's this "we", anyway?

Feb 4, 2009
Cruz came out of nowhere. No experience. Nada. And weaseled himself into elected office.
In this case, Ted played the GOD card.
And its obvious Ted wouldn't think twice about playing the GOD card if he thought that was what it took to win.
For Ted, religious beliefs are something you read off a teleprompter.
I'm convinced Ted doesn't have a clue about what moral or religion is all about.
Ted found a gimmick, a stunt, and he uses it to get votes.
But people see through him.
That is why the evangelical christians aren't buying. Instead, they are opting for Trump.
I'm surprised, but glad they wised up and can see thru this phony baloney Ted Cruz.
Cruz is probably the most dangerous candidate for any office that has come along in decades.
I doubt people have a clue just how dangerous he could be, and what possibly goes on in his mind.

You make it sound like Cruz was a grocery store stock boy. He was a State attorney like many other candidates.
Yes Cruz is arrogant, selfish and only a slightly smaller narcissists than Trump but he has qualifications.
You could make a good argument that Cruz is more qualified than Obama was when Obama was elected.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It is just a manifestation of Party establishment deserting Cruz. They bid times just in canse Cruz might gain momentum and a chance to become nominee. It seems to me the establishment think Cruz is done for. Thus Boener's taking it out on him with nothing to fear for.

I wonder if Cruz's political is now effectively over with his all-but failed presidential run. He is not going back to Senate, and if he did he will have a much tougher time with his collegues to move his agenda forward. He is

They've never been "with" Cruz. They just saw him as a way to deadlock the convention against Trump, change the rules to draft somebody other than the two of them.

Nov 30, 2006
They've never been "with" Cruz. They just saw him as a way to deadlock the convention against Trump, change the rules to draft somebody other than the two of them.
^ This. The establishment hates Cruz...almost as much as they hate Trump.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No he was a shitty speaker. A good speaker is able to get his party in line. A good speaker knows when they do or do not have the votes for a piece of legislation. A good speaker works with the other party and gets shit done.

Isn't this just a mirror of the arguments conservatives try to make about Obama? Boehner couldn't get them in line for the same reason Obama couldn't. They have no political incentive to compromise because their only risk is losing a primary to someone even crazier.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Seriously? His little stunt with Israel, trying to circumvent Obama's deliberations with Tehran stands out as reason enough to loathe the guy. Loved his work on the infrastructure problem at hime he said he solve. I have more, but I'll save it for when I'm not on the road posting with phone.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Seriously? His little stunt with Israel, trying to circumvent Obama's deliberations with Tehran stands out as reason enough to loathe the guy. Loved his work on the infrastructure problem at hime he said he solve. I have more, but I'll save it for when I'm not on the road posting with phone.

I have to agree with you and ivwshane. His problem is he wanted it both ways. He really was very sympathetic to the Tea Party element politically and made good use of them. But just like the GOP finding out now about feeding the ugly beast for so long, it back fires on you.

Oh, and I will never forgive him or the Republican Congress for inviting a foreigner to harangue a president of this country, about our foreign policy.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I would agree that the stunt with Netanyahu was stupid and reckless, but for the most part his hands were tied by his insane caucus. I don't think he was the world's greatest speaker but I think he could have done much worse, and I'm not sure I know of anyone I think would have done better.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So, the direction of change doesn't matter, so long as it's yuge, right?

Who's this "we", anyway?

In other words, anyone but Hillary. If Bernie was your nominee I'd vote Dem for President for the first time.

We? Anyone who dislikes the George W. Bush Neocon policy.
You used to rail against it, but you'll gladly back its continuation as you did with Obama, and now with Hillary.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
In other words, anyone but Hillary. If Bernie was your nominee I'd vote Dem for President for the first time.

We? Anyone who dislikes the George W. Bush Neocon policy.
You used to rail against it, but you'll gladly back its continuation as you did with Obama, and now with Hillary.

Are you seriously trying to compare the foreign policy of Bush to Hillary and Obama? That's absurd and you know it. Obama has been much, much more restrained than Bush was. Hell, Sanders has been supportive of bombing other countries in the past as well.