Crusader Kings II Released!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MChao1

Aug 28, 2006
I would like to get into this game, but it seems pretty complex.
I saw some youtube tutorials but would rather perfer a text and pictures tutorial so I can read it on the train.

Does anyone know of any?

MChao1

Aug 28, 2006
Thanks, was waiting for it to go on sale.

Interesting fact: The amazon key is activatable on steam. I didn't see it requiring steam anywhere so I assumed it wouldn't work with it, but gave it a shot anyway.

No problems. Didn't know you can activate on steam. Thanks for that

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
i've resisted so far. reviews I've seen say good but needs polish, something that will probably come via the first expansion for it.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
To those of you who got this on release, are you still playing it? Still enjoying it? I'm now thinking about grabbing it myself.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I can't get into this game, and I love EU3. Just don't find managing a court as much fun as managing a country.

bentheman939

Mar 5, 2008
To those of you who got this on release, are you still playing it? Still enjoying it? I'm now thinking about grabbing it myself.

Sunk over 200 hours into it so far. Its a really polished game, and the most current patch (1.05) has addressed basically every gripe I had with the game.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I been watching some YT videos and tuts as well. Trying to learn its complexities from afar. I'm thinking of picking it up once it goes on sale.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I been watching some YT videos and tuts as well. Trying to learn its complexities from afar. I'm thinking of picking it up once it goes on sale.

Doing the same. No matter how many 'lets play' videos I watch on youtube I still barely have an idea about what's going on. It looks interesting, not sure if I want to deal with figuring it out though.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Paradox announced yesterday that the first expansion is planned to be released in mid-June (along with patch 1.06). The Sword of Islam's main features are, of course, making Muslims playable and all the mechanics that they get. Patch 1.06 is going to expand the game map in Africa, introduce some new plots, expand on strong/weak claims, expand combat, and some other stuff.

Last edited:

FalconHorse

Jul 22, 2011

Doing the same. No matter how many 'lets play' videos I watch on youtube I still barely have an idea about what's going on. It looks interesting, not sure if I want to deal with figuring it out though.

Have you guys read Meneth's guide?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?589469-GUIDE-In-depth-Guide-to-CKII

I think this links to the same info in PDF form:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?599744-CK-II-Userguide-by-Meneth-and-Novapaddy

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
How is the learning curve for paradox games, i have never played one and Crusader Kings sounds interesting

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Just a heads-up:

CK II WITH DLC is $12.49 on STEAM, $9.99 for the base game.

I went ahead and bought it, who knows when I'll have time to play it. But at that price, why the heck not?

Baptismbyfire

Oct 7, 2010
How is the learning curve for paradox games, i have never played one and Crusader Kings sounds interesting

CK II is one of the easier ones to get into. The tutorial does a good job of easing you into the game, and generally, there are fewer things going on at one time (at least those you can control). If you are even remotely interested in this genre and historical period, I would highly recommend that you try it. There should be a demo on the Paradox homepage.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I see paradox is still doing that fucking retarded bullshit where you can't see half the forum.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I see paradox is still doing that fucking retarded bullshit where you can't see half the forum.

Yeah, that's their way of fighting piracy. You can't view the Mod forums and maybe some others unless you have registered at least one of their games.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Yeah, that's their way of fighting piracy. You can't view the Mod forums and maybe some others unless you have registered at least one of their games.

Which I don't mind at all, since their games are 100% DRM-free. Even if you buy Crusader Kings II on Steam, it's still DRM-free. Which is awesome.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I can't get into this game, and I love EU3. Just don't find managing a court as much fun as managing a country.

I'm unfortunately in the same boat. I can see that CKII really is a great game, but with 20 hours or so of play time I just wanted to go back to my EU3 game. Not quite sure why, but I think I just prefer the mechanics of "country ruler" over the feudal system in CK.

I do plan on going back to CK2 again soon though, probably start a new game as my current one was a bit stagnant. Hopefully that will grab me, and the expansion should be great as well.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Which I don't mind at all, since their games are 100% DRM-free. Even if you buy Crusader Kings II on Steam, it's still DRM-free. Which is awesome.

yeah, considering that Paradox release games that have 100 times more content, replayability and complexity than practically all major games these days, for $40 with no DRM! I have no problem with their game registration requirement, or DLC system.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Just a heads-up:

CK II WITH DLC is $12.49 on STEAM, $9.99 for the base game.

I went ahead and bought it, who knows when I'll have time to play it. But at that price, why the heck not?

Hmm, where? I'm still seeing $39.99 in the store and don't see any deals.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Sale ended at 1 today.

As for the website, it is one of the dumbest douchiest hairbrained schemes ever developed and was around long before they began shipping a significant quantity of titles digitally. Has absolutely zero effect on real world piracy and does nothing but annoy real users by requiring some bullshit process in order to do something as simple as just reading through a forum. The only thing to top the douche mode achieved by this are those retarded ass epeeners thinking that by having a lot of symbols next to their forum name empower them with transendent powers among the mortal realm instead of realizing they're just a bunch of dumbass sheeples.